SiouxSports.com Forum

Parallels to 1997

nodakvindy

The parallel that I don't like is that in 1997 there was an undisputed favorite heading into the Frozen Four, Michigan, and we all know how that went for them. In 1997 there wasn't a independent observer that wouldn't have put money on Michigan. This year I think it's the same thing. Unless your a fan of Michigan, UMD or Notre Dame, the money is going to be put down on the Sioux.

• 2 weeks later...

The parallel that I don't like is that in 1997 there was an undisputed favorite heading into the Frozen Four, Michigan, and we all know how that went for them. In 1997 there wasn't a independent observer that wouldn't have put money on Michigan. This year I think it's the same thing. Unless your a fan of Michigan, UMD or Notre Dame, the money is going to be put down on the Sioux.

When it was announced that Tim Hennessey wouldn't be in St Paul, my heart sank, as a Sioux victory seemed so much less possible with Tim not there.

In '97, BU beat favorite Michigan, and then UND beat BU.

If the parallels to 1997 hold, then UMD wins.

I was just going to say the same thing, star2city. In 1997, BU beats Michigan by 1 goal only to quickly be forgotten about as they lose title 6-4 to Sioux. I'm cheering for the Bulldogs tonight, but the reality is this: If the Bulldogs win 4-1 or 5-1 against a Michigan team that has trouble scoring 2 goals a game, Sioux players and fans are going to wonder for a long time what could have been. If Michigan wins tonight, everyone says 'cinderella story' and goes home thinking 'well, I guess it was destiny just like 1997 Sioux.'

When it was announced that Tim Hennessey wouldn't be in St Paul, my heart sank, as a Sioux victory seemed so much less possible with Tim not there.

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought about Tim's impact... He's part of the team moreless.. It scared me.. superstition or not... Next year #8!

How right you are!

I was listening down here in NW Missouri and my wife said "What's happened? You look like we lost before the game started.". I sort of felt like we did. :(

• Upvote 1