SiouxSports.com Forum

Union vs UMD

szavodnik

As of today, I heard UMD will not be traveling until tomorrow.. Practice tonight, and a light practice tomorrow morning. Now judging by the weather.. I would have thought they would be leaving tonight or even this afternoon. Anyways....eventhough Union had a dissappointing series against Colgate...i do have reason to believe that they may be an overlooked team. Looking at Air Force (not a push over by any means) and Union (beating Yale in the second half of the season). Do you guys think that Union could have enough steam to take UMD down and possibly Yale? Following mostly the WHCA, I can't go ahead and say that UMD and Yale are the clear winners here. Any insight on these teams? Any comments? lets hear it! Oh yeah..I'm sure you all remember who UMD lost to in the final five....UMD looks shaky coming into this, especially with travel now a factor

As of today, I heard UMD will not be traveling until tomorrow.. Practice tonight, and a light practice tomorrow morning. Now judging by the weather.. I would have thought they would be leaving tonight or even this afternoon. Anyways....eventhough Union had a dissappointing series against Colgate...i do have reason to believe that they may be an overlooked team. Looking at Air Force (not a push over by any means) and Union (beating Yale in the second half of the season). Do you guys think that Union could have enough steam to take UMD down and possibly Yale? Following mostly the WHCA, I can't go ahead and say that UMD and Yale are the clear winners here. Any insight on these teams? Any comments? lets hear it! Oh yeah..I'm sure you all remember who UMD lost to in the final five....UMD looks shaky coming into this, especially with travel now a factor

I said it earlier this year that I wouldn't be suprised to see Union in the Frozen Four, as this year's verion of RIT (first time in the NCAAs and making the F4). Now, seeing the bracket they are in, I feel they have a very good shot. I'm not sold on Duluth right now, and I believe Union is a better team than Yale.

Union gave Yale a good run this year. 5 of Yale's 6 losses were on the road. They were 6-5 on the road. I think Union can beat them and I believe that top line of UMD will drive them crazy. It depends upon whether UMD's defense and goaltending can keep Yale off the scoreboard or at least slow them down. I believe that Yale will have some difficulty coming out of the region, but so could the Sioux with Denver.

Union gave Yale a good run this year. 5 of Yale's 6 losses were on the road. They were 6-5 on the road. I think Union can beat them and I believe that top line of UMD will drive them crazy. It depends upon whether UMD's defense and goaltending can keep Yale off the scoreboard or at least slow them down. I believe that Yale will have some difficulty coming out of the region, but so could the Sioux with Denver.

I def. think that Yale will win it's first round game...Air Force may give them a run for thier money though...UMD has a VERY high amount of penalty minutes..I i can't be sure but if Scott told his team to be mindful of penalties A) it could send them in trouble with Union having a pretty good power play or B) it could make UMD less physical and alter thier normal style of play....Either way i think the cards are in Union's hand to be dealt!

With a prediction of Yale coming out of the first round but pretty beat up...Do you think this could be the opportune time for Union to really own the second game? At first glance the brackets seemed easy to fill out....Guess not!!

...UMD has a VERY high amount of penalty minutes..I i can't be sure but if Scott told his team to be mindful of penalties A) it could send them in trouble with Union having a pretty good power play or B) it could make UMD less physical and alter thier normal style of play....Either way i think the cards are in Union's hand to be dealt!

UMD is #1 in overall PIM's but only #7 if you count WCHA games only. They had 33 mins one game against LSSU and 59 one game against Clarkson which really skewed the numbers. On second thought, maybe that proves your point even further, that the Bulldogs need to be careful with the non-WCHA refs. UMD doesn't like to play physical, their penalties mostly are a result of lazy play. It'll be a shootout I'm sure.

UMD is #1 in overall PIM's but only #7 if you count WCHA games only. They had 33 mins one game against LSSU and 59 one game against Clarkson which really skewed the numbers. On second thought, maybe that proves your point even further, that the Bulldogs need to be careful with the non-WCHA refs. UMD doesn't like to play physical, their penalties mostly are a result of lazy play. It'll be a shootout I'm sure.

I agree 100%.

That's the biggest disadvantage WCHA teams have in that they are used to the crap WCHA refs throw at them. IMO, bad refs exist outside of the WCHA but they tend to hold closer to the NCAA rulebook than WCHA refs do.

UMD needs to be VERY careful. I feel that Union and Yale have faced officiating similar to that of the HEA and CCHA this season whereas UMD did and got bombed by it.