SiouxSports.com Forum

Attendance

ShilohSioux

Next season (11-12) we lose South Dakota to the Summit. I hope we have a good team coming up to Grand Forks to replace the Yotes.

I would kind of hope that USD would be coming back to the Sioux Center next season to return our favor of playing football in Vermillion two seasons in a row when they were desperate for a home game at the onset of the transition......................

Since the teams have only played a couple double-headers thus far, the better women's attendance seems to stand on its own. I think in recent seasons the men have been the beneficiaries of the double-headers as a lot of fans left after the women's game during the last few years of NCC play and DI transition years.................

I don't think doubleheaders count towards attendance figures. If it does you'd have to count the same number for both teams. We don't resell tickets between games.

Next season (11-12) we lose South Dakota to the Summit. I hope we have a good team coming up to Grand Forks to replace the Yotes.

I would only hope that NDSU and SDU are on our non-conference schedule every year with home and away games. This would greatly benefit both schools. But not everything that makes sense by us is done.

I don't think doubleheaders count towards attendance figures. If it does you'd have to count the same number for both teams. We don't resell tickets between games.

The athletic department attributes any ticket sold prior to halftime of the first game to the women's attendance figures. Any additional tickets sold once the 2nd half of the women's game begins is attributed to the men's attendance figures and then added to the final attendance tally of the first game, which is why in the box score men's attendance is modestly higher than the women's game even though recent history suggests that many fans often left after the women's game.

I would only hope that NDSU and SDU are on our non-conference schedule every year with home and away games. This would greatly benefit both schools. But not everything that makes sense by us is done.

I agree. NDSU comes to GF next year, and hopefully the past idiocy of both administrations regarding scheduling of non-football sports has been left in the past and this series will continue on an annual basis. I would also think that an annual game with USD will be continued on into the future. It would also be nice to get SDSU on the rotation and keep the series with UNI going. That would make for a very nice annual non-conference rotation, although I doubt that UNI would ever agree to annual home-and-homes, but would perhaps entertain coming to GF every 3rd year after we make consecutive visits, at least as long as Ben Jacobson is there.

If marketed properly and provided we are competetive, home games against Montana, Montana St., Northern Colorado, and Weber St. have the potential to consistently draw "USD-ish" numbers, meaning the Sioux Center would be near capacity for those games. USD and especially NDSU every other year would give attendance numbers a huge boost.

I agree. NDSU comes to GF next year, and hopefully the past idiocy of both administrations regarding scheduling of non-football sports has been left in the past and this series will continue on an annual basis. I would also think that an annual game with USD will be continued on into the future. It would also be nice to get SDSU on the rotation and keep the series with UNI going. That would make for a very nice annual non-conference rotation, although I doubt that UNI would ever agree to annual home-and-homes, but would perhaps entertain coming to GF every 3rd year after we make consecutive visits, at least as long as Ben Jacobson is there.

If marketed properly and provided we are competitive, home games against Montana, Montana St., Northern Colorado, and Weber St. have the potential to consistently draw "USD-ish" numbers, meaning the Sioux Center would be near capacity for those games. USD and especially NDSU every other year would give attendance numbers a huge boost.

Playing NDSU, USD and possibly SDSU and UNI annually would be great from a fan's and attendance perspective. However, I wonder if we'll be able to play all those non-conference games if the Big Sky is going to a 20-game conference schedule, as was rumoured. That only leaves 8 non-conference games. Yes, there's room, but generally don't they like to play a couple of easy games to warm up -- Mayville, Valley, Minot, etc... And perhaps a Holiday tournament?

Playing NDSU, USD and possibly SDSU and UNI annually would be great from a fan's and attendance perspective. However, I wonder if we'll be able to play all those non-conference games if the Big Sky is going to a 20-game conference schedule, as was rumoured. That only leaves 8 non-conference games. Yes, there's room, but generally don't they like to play a couple of easy games to warm up -- Mayville, Valley, Minot, etc... And perhaps a Holiday tournament?

There are exempted tournaments such as the one in Idaho that we participated in this season. I believe you are allowed 4 non-DI games per year, but hopefully that will be reduced to just two with the Big Sky membership. Could still play non-DI exhibition games early on.

I think in a perfect world a non-conference schedule in a given year could look something like this (home games bolded)

USD

NDSU

UNI

SDSU

NAIA

NAIA

High-Major (Big 10, Big 12, Pac 10)

Mid-Major (MVC, Horizon, WAC)

3 Game Exempt Tourney

It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out, obviously alot probably hinges on the number of conference games the Big Sky ultimately decides on. If the 20 game model is adopted, perhaps UND will forget about the exempted tourneys and just try to load up on home games and maintain regional rivalries. I'm not so sure at this point though that a number of Big Sky schools, including North Dakota, would be in favor of the 20 game model.

I would like to see all non D1 games eliminated. It does absolutely nothing for UND and if we happen to lose the flood gates are open to rip the team and the coaches. Non D1 teams are non counter games for potentional bids into the NIT or hopefully at some point into the NCAA tournament, so why play them. The non conference posts above are all great options for the fans and large money for the university. Hopefully they are thinking the same way.

I would like to see all non D1 games eliminated. It does absolutely nothing for UND and if we happen to lose the flood gates are open to rip the team and the coaches. Non D1 teams are non counter games for potentional bids into the NIT or hopefully at some point into the NCAA tournament, so why play them.

Won't happen. The university wants/needs home games. You'd be hard pressed to find a low-major or mid-major program that doesn't play at least one and more often two non-DI teams. I don't know the requirements for getting into the NIT, but really the only access UND will ever have to the NCAA tournament will com from the Big Sky's autobid.

The athletic department attributes any ticket sold prior to halftime of the first game to the women's attendance figures. Any additional tickets sold once the 2nd half of the women's game begins is attributed to the men's attendance figures and then added to the final attendance tally of the first game, which is why in the box score men's attendance is modestly higher than the women's game even though recent history suggests that many fans often left after the women's game.

I had no idea they did it that way. Seems like a lot of work.

Won't happen. The university wants/needs home games. You'd be hard pressed to find a low-major or mid-major program that doesn't play at least one and more often two non-DI teams. I don't know the requirements for getting into the NIT, but really the only access UND will ever have to the NCAA tournament will com from the Big Sky's autobid.

Even with Summit membership, NDSU played Mayville and Valley this year. SDSU played Mayville and SW Minnesota State. These are in addition to the "exhibition" games that typically start a season.

I had no idea they did it that way. Seems like a lot of work.

With computers it would be very simple. They can just set up the system to count all tickets sold after a certain time or before a certain time. It probably takes 1 person less than a minute to get both totals.

• 1 month later...

Great West Conference attendance (per their website)

Utah Valley 2013

North Dakota 1626

South Dakota 1454

Chicago St 1179

Texas PA 672

Houston Baptist 668

NJIT 455

Ouch! Hopefully that 2012-13 number will be significantly higher, and out years beyond that backup into the early 2000s range or better.

2010-11 -- 1,626

2009-10