SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. Drake

dakotadan

UND 51

Drake 76

Final.

I wasn't able to watch the end of the game. But by the look of the score the ladies never came out of their shell. I keep saying it but the talent is in the younger players, they just need to really mature and not look so scared of their opponent.

UND 51

Drake 76

Final.

I wasn't able to watch the end of the game. But by the look of the score the ladies never came out of their shell. I keep saying it but the talent is in the younger players, they just need to really mature and not look so scared of their opponent.

You know, when a program is struggling we always want to believe that our "young" players are our strength. The truth is, on this team, there is no one more talented than Mallory Youngblut!!! She has got to play better and lead this team with points!! We can't score, she is our most experienced player, she has to be our go-to player!!! Coach said in the paper today that he's not big on change and I agree. Mallory needs to start, play, and finish games for this team!! Sometimes as coaches we can "overcoach." Mallory for right now just needs to be left alone and let her play, in my opinion.

How did the entire athletic department get so young? Football, mens bb, women's bb, with the exception of perhaps hockey I keep seeing quotes from people inside and out of the athletic department leaning on youth. Someone has to step up right now. I know I have seen programs, even during transition, step up have make plays. Does anyone else have the feeling that there are too many players, not just on the women's team, waiting for someone else to step up and take control. I could also be over reacting, but there's some truth here.

How did the entire athletic department get so young? Football, mens bb, women's bb, with the exception of perhaps hockey I keep seeing quotes from people inside and out of the athletic department leaning on youth. Someone has to step up right now. I know I have seen programs, even during transition, step up have make plays. Does anyone else have the feeling that there are too many players, not just on the women's team, waiting for someone else to step up and take control. I could also be over reacting, but there's some truth here.

I think we're saying the same thing only in different words. While a majority of our players are young, the vets need to step up and be our best players. Whether its coaching or themselves holding them back, I don't care. Jrs. and Srs. need to play better.

How'd we get so young? Easy. By design of the NCAA.

The rules about transitioning to DI (five-year transition with no playoffs) are intentionally set up to prevent a DII powerhouse from making the jump up to DI and winning immediately.

Let's face it: At their peak, Grand Valley State University might have been the best college football team in Michigan that wasn't in the Big Ten. (Yes, I just disrespected the entire MAC conference.) Imagine if they could have, in say 2002, made an immediate jump to DI with all their programs. They were winning DII Director's Cups as the best overall DII programs. They would have beaten many, many "established" DI programs in many sports. That would be a massive embarrassment to those DI programs.

Instead, the NCAA mandates a five-year transition to "help" those programs "establish" themselves in DI. No, what's really going on is the NCAA is guaranteeing that the transitioning schools are hammered with no playoffs for five years. What's that guarantee? Weak and small recruiting classes*. And it guarantees the "established" DI programs don't have to deal with upstarts (see GVSU) coming in and making the playoffs immediately and getting a share of (pay attention kids, here the punchline) tournament revenues.

The five-year transition is a predatory rule toward move-ups. Nothing more.

*UND is facing that right now. Look as the dearth of juniors and seniors on the rosters. Those are the kids that came in despite knowing there'd be no playoffs during their college years. That's why there are so few.

Great breakdown Sic.

I don't disagree that seniors have to lead with their play. But until we have other players who are at the very least a threat to other teams, our opponents are going to harrass Mallory to no end. Last year at least Baaggy had Mal and Bergan if she was being chased all over the floor, teams before that had players who could step in if the star was going to be taken away. Right now we don't anyone who can consistently step up and hit shots when Mal is being doubled, chased whatever. I think its really effecting her... which is sad because I believe out of all the players on the roster, everything should be done to allow those players to have fun their senior years, because there has never been any postseason for them to get to- why should they have to suffer when all they did was come in and try help the program through the transitiion? Which as just alluded to is a miserable place to be for a athletic program. At the very least they should be having fun...and I'm not so sure they are having fun right now. Getting hammered repeatedly by very good teams has got to be getting old. I don't see it ending until conference season, no matter how well our Seniors or our Freshman play.

Great breakdown Sic.

I don't disagree that seniors have to lead with their play. But until we have other players who are at the very least a threat to other teams, our opponents are going to harrass Mallory to no end. Last year at least Baaggy had Mal and Bergan if she was being chased all over the floor, teams before that had players who could step in if the star was going to be taken away. Right now we don't anyone who can consistently step up and hit shots when Mal is being doubled, chased whatever. I think its really effecting her... which is sad because I believe out of all the players on the roster, everything should be done to allow those players to have fun their senior years, because there has never been any postseason for them to get to- why should they have to suffer when all they did was come in and try help the program through the transitiion? Which as just alluded to is a miserable place to be for a athletic program. At the very least they should be having fun...and I'm not so sure they are having fun right now. Getting hammered repeatedly by very good teams has got to be getting old. I don't see it ending until conference season, no matter how well our Seniors or our Freshman play.

I am a little confused - don't the players now all get full rides each year. In fact, if you are redshirted, I think you get it for 5 years. Wow - that is alot of money to have just to have FUN. Shouldn't there be some expectations for players to play hard all the time which is to rebound, hustle, play tough defense, be a leader when you are a senior captain and set an example for the younger players. Even when your shots are not falling - should these just be expectations for all players, especially seniors and even more for 5-year seniors.

I have watched the last two webcasts and there is no leadership - at least I didn't see it on the floor. In fact, it seemed more like pouting. If your shot is not falling, you can still help the team by rebounding and doing little things that count in the end. I have played with many players that wern't big scorers but they hustled, worked hard and had great attitudes - - they had fun.......................and that is all Coach asked for. In fact, down the stretch, they made big plays that made us champions.