SiouxSports.com Forum

AD's monitor message boards

star2city

Kansas City Star: Athletic Departments now keep close tabs on message boards to glimpse public opinion

“More than we used to,” Missouri athletic director Mike Alden said. “We monitor chat rooms, message boards, websites, because the reality is those are your customers.”

With a few clicks, schools and teams can get a quick pulse of their fan base, in bad times and good. Water-cooler talk has become the virtual watering hole. Nothing grows threads like subject lines to fire a coach or change a quarterback.

Chip Brown, a reporter for the Rivals.com website that covers Texas, Orangebloods.com, knows people who were calling the shots in this rapidly moving story — or were close enough to those who were — were paying attention. They had become his sources.

“We started with three or four sources and ended with about 13 who were really in the know, basically trading information,” Brown said. “I think as the story went on there was a growing comfort level with what we were doing.”

Moderators: Please delete one of these duplicate threads. Thanks!

Seems like a no brainer. I would assume most ads have been already doing this for awhile now.

It would seem odd that a AD would care what people, more specifically fans of a specific team are saying on a message board.

I am not against message boards I think they are great but you would think that most AD are "above the fray."

Edited by Goon

It would seem odd that a AD would care what people, more specifically fans of a specific team are saying on a message board.

I am not against message boards I think they are great but you would think that most AD are "above the fray."

While I said ad I don't think for one minute an actual ad is surfing the message boards I guarantee it is staff.

I agree that it is probably staff rather than the AD themselves that are watching message boards. But it is a useful tool to find out what some people are thinking. These are often people that are very emotionally invested in the programs. I highly doubt that decisions are made solely on the basis of what is said on message boards. But anywhere you can get more information is a good tool to use.

I agree that it is probably staff rather than the AD themselves that are watching message boards. But it is a useful tool to find out what some people are thinking. These are often people that are very emotionally invested in the programs. I highly doubt that decisions are made solely on the basis of what is said on message boards. But anywhere you can get more information is a good tool to use.

I agree and it is probably used more for marketing. I recall seeing Max Huber on this board come and post when there are specials.

Hopefully the ADs realize that, for whatever reason, those folks that choose to post on message boards tend to over-represent only a very narrow portion of the overall alumni feeling on any given topic.

Yawn! :silly: