SiouxSports.com Forum

Season-ending heartbreaker...

choyt3

I was very proud of the way our team handled itself on Saturday night. For the most part,  Blais had only three lines rolling and you could see that they were dog-tired but they were skating their hearts out for "Sioux Pride."  I wouldn't trade a single one of our guys for all the hockey gods on the Minnesota squad.  The Gophers had the talent and the Sioux had the heart.  In the end, as in so many games this season, the Sioux came up a goal short.  

I have thought of 2001-02 as a "refueling year" rather than a rebuilding year.  Our freshman class is now battle-hardened and I think they will take away from this trying year determination to dig down deep.  Next year, we'll win those one-goal games, we'll hold the lead when we have it, we'll come back when we don't, we'll refuse to lose.  I was especially proud of Andy Kollar who seemed to be the Andy of old.  You could see in his eyes a kind of steely determination that had not been there for most of the season.  While winning would have been  great, even miraculous, I think the team left it all on the ice which is they way they should have gone out in the final game of the year.  Skarpy, Maz, Schneeks and Andy: thanks for the memories.  We'll miss you.