SiouxSports.com Forum

Should UND go away from the 3-4?

bincitysioux

JK does, and (imo) he is more comfortable running a traditional 4-3 Defense. MM style I believe is more of a gambling blitz from all angles, take chances. MM played in that style under Lennon with Bubba. Not saying either is right or wrong, but we seem to have a 4-3 scheme at times with 3-4 personel and visa versa.

You all know my thoughts is that I think we should just have 1 DC, I do not like Co-Coordinators, especially with different attacks and approaches.

This is not the reason we lost the game on Saturday, it was a complete team effort, Offense, Defense, Special Teams, Coaches, and we could always use some more fans....

I kind've like the co-coordinator approach. You've got one guy on the field and one guy in the box. Best of both worlds.

On running downs, the guy who handles the running defense calls the shots...then the other guy takes it for passing downs.

And of course the head coach is listening in and can veto when necessary.

They are both good Coaches and personal friends, I will not choose between the two of them on a message board, besides It's not my place, Coach Mussman gets that fun job. The team on Saturday for some reason lacked fire and heart on both sides of the footbal and special teams, hopefully is was just a bad day at work.

Both the 4-3 and 3-4 take talented kids to run, some on here have said it's harder to find the Athletic DL or DE that is why the 3-4 is better, It was also hard to find guys like Challahan, Blue, Dixon, Brennan, Enger, Halvorson, but this same group of Coaches found them and we won, my bet is we will again....

With the exception of Enger not a single one of those players was recruited by anyone on our current coaching staff. For the most part we haven't recruited athletes like that on Defense since Schweigert left.

I kind've like the co-coordinator approach. You've got one guy on the field and one guy in the box. Best of both worlds.

On running downs, the guy who handles the running defense calls the shots...then the other guy takes it for passing downs.

And of course the head coach is listening in and can veto when necessary.

If it actually worked that way, then yes that would be great. Unfortunately that is not the case.

If it actually worked that way, then yes that would be great. Unfortunately that is not the case.

And if you think about all of the times a defense is thinking run and a pass play follows or vice versa, it is way too difficult.

Maybe inheriting JK from Augie was the best thing that Augie ever could have done to UND. I have been told that Augie is still shocked that he was hired at UND in the first place.