SiouxSports.com Forum

Trev Albert's DI vision for Omaha

star2city

Your statements seems a bit odd to me given a couple of points.

1) The Missouri Valley Conference helped lead the charge in renaming 1-AA to FCS because of the precieved advantages in recruiting for basketball.

2) In addition, the Missouri Valley Conference extended its name for the MVFC to help with the conferences image on a national scale for recruiting in basketball. NOTE: They only have 5 schools playing football, but get all the advantages of having a FB conference by leveraging other conferences schools. The Summit League (if they add UNO and UND) will have 6 schools playing FB.

So, I think it is interesting that the Summit League who is trying to move up to mid-major conference status would allow its primary regional competition the Missouri Valley Conference to use Summit League schools to improve its image in recruiting for basketball. In the long run, schools playing in the MVFC would only hurt themselves. It would only be an advantage if they were assured that they would be allowed into the conference at some point in the future. But, the interesting part is that the schools in the MVFC (NDSU, SDSU and WIU) - in my opionon would not be the leading candiates to join the Missouri Valley Conference if it expanded in the future. In my opinion the pecking order would be - UNO, USD, WIU, SDSU, NDSU and then UND. Of course this changes if MVC moves to FBC but I am not sure that they can do that within the next 10 year window. So, I think things are going to get very interesting within the next couple of years. If the Summit League plays it card right with the support of its core football schools. It could pass the Big Sky, Horizon and gain on MVC by absorbing the GWFC and adding UNO and UND.

A Summit League Football Conference would include:

SDSU

NSDU

&Poly

&Cal Davis

WIU

SUU

USD

UND

UNO

It is really striking when you look at the MVFC without SL schools:

NORTHERN IOWA - MVC

SOUTHERN ILLINOIS - MVC

MISSOURI STATE - MVC

ILLINOIS ST - MVC

INDIANA ST - MVC

& YOUNGSTOWN ST - HL

Your statements seems a bit odd to me given a couple of points.

But, the interesting part is that the schools in the MVFC (NDSU, SDSU and WIU) - in my opion would not be the leading candiates to join the Missouri Valley Conference if it expanded in the future. In my opinion the pecking order would be - UNO, USD, WIU, SDSU, NDSU and then UND. Of course this changes if MVC moves to FBC but I am not sure that they can do that within the next 10 year window. So, I think things are going to get very interesting within the next couple of years. If the Summit League plays it card right with the support of its core football schools. It could pass the Big Sky, Horizon and gain on MVC by absorbing the GWFC and adding UNO and UND.

The schools that get talked about the most for MVC expansion don't have football: St. Louis, Butler, Oral Roberts, and even Memphis (if it's football became a Big East affiliate). Unless Creighton leaves the MoValley, UNO will not get in. USD and WIU have essentially no shot at a full MVC membership, as their home campus locations are too small and neither have a decent large basketball venue. SDSU may have a chance if it played a number of games at a new Sioux Falls arena. NDSU has no chance without a basketball venue. UND actually would have a chance if the REA was used, but that would be a long ways away.

The interesting point is that the Summit Conference and the majority of its schools (with the exception of NDSU, SDSU, and WIU) would want it's member schools playing football under it's banner. When and if UND joins, that would make six football schools. The football question is another reason why UND's membership may be purposely delayed until SUU is closer to leaving.

The schools that get talked about the most for MVC expansion don't have football: St. Louis, Butler, Oral Roberts, and even Memphis (if it's football became a Big East affiliate). Unless Creighton leaves the MoValley, UNO will not get in. USD and WIU have essentially no shot at a full MVC membership, as their home campus locations are too small and neither have a decent large basketball venue. SDSU may have a chance if it played a number of games at a new Sioux Falls arena. NDSU has no chance without a basketball venue. UND actually would have a chance if the REA was used, but that would be a long ways away.

The interesting point is that the Summit Conference and the majority of its schools (with the exception of NDSU, SDSU, and WIU) would want it's member schools playing football under it's banner. When and if UND joins, that would make six football schools. The football question is another reason why UND's membership may be purposely delayed until SUU is closer to leaving.

Yet they didn't think twice bringing in USD, a football school with strong DII history?

Nah, UND will be brought in right away. Same time frame as USD.

I hope UNO gets picked up too. Perfect travel partner with UMKC (although I know you think UMSL is a better option, I don't know if they will move to DI any time soon) and would allow the SL to challenge Creighton head on in Omaha.

I guess it comes down to MVC determining if they are basketball conference or an all sports conference. I think the days of stringing schools along are coming to a head. I am sure several schools will be asking those questions and acting accordingly. Reading the MVC recent actions as noted in my first post. I think that an all sport conference may have been the direction. But the changes in the economy may have changed that for the conference. The other thing to remember about this is the recent RPI changes for basketball. I believe those changes specifically addressed how MVC got 4 bids to the NCAA a couple of years ago. So, it will be much more difficult for MVC or any mid major conference to get multiple bids in the future.

I'm luke warm to the idea of a DI UNO. IIRC, other than football, they were always pretty mediocre in every other sport weren't they? Obviously, it would be great for the football side of the Great West Conference by adding numbers to the league, but it could also hurt recruiting for all of the Dakota schools in Nebraska since there is no FCS team there now. On the other hand, they would be a good rival for UND, as they were over the past 10 years or so, especially with them joining the WCHA for hockey.

I like the idea of UNO going Summit League/Great West. In reference to your comments about UNO. As with UND, they now have new management. I have been very impressed with Trev A. Let's see in less than 6 months on the job. He has moved his hockey program to WCHA for free, hired the third or fourth best college hockey coach in the US (a coach that was not looking to go to UNO NOTE: This included motivating alum to pay the salary.) Now, he has the school talking about Div I and has approval from UNL to do it. Many said UNO to Div I was not possible because of UNL. All this in 6 months. I don't think this is your dads UNO. You have to admit that UNO has a lot of upside.

Omaha also has a strong history of hosting NCAA events. I can see Summit League mens and womens tournments and WCHA final 5 or 6 being hosting in Omaha. I see lots of opportunities for UNO. It will be interesting.

Summit League bball tourny in Qwest Center?

NDSU v UNO final, 18k crowd that would be sweet.

Yeah I think UNO would be a great get for the Summit. UND and UNO sounds about right to get to 12 members.

UND UNO should be pretty good rivals in the future with the WCHA and now the Summit a possibility.

NDSU UND

SDSU USD

UMKC UNO

ORU SUU

OU IPFW

IUPUI WIU

Great travel partners in the "plains" division. Still pretty crappy in the other division, but that's what we got right now.

Now I can't help but think of what could've been in the Great West, potentially:

Poly

Davis

SUU

NDSU

UND

SDSU

USD

UNO

Not bad at all. Maybe throw another California school in there to get to 9? San Diego? Sac State? Oh well