SiouxSports.com Forum

Moving Broadcasting In-House?

puck

There are 2 jobs posted on the UND web site for media sales person/basketball play-by-play announcer and part-time men's hockey play-by-play announcer. Anyone heard of changes in broadcasting rights?

UND has taken their broadcasting "in-house." That means that UND is now responsible for the sales of advertising and the production of the games and they will buy air-time from their affiliates. Nothing much will change when it's considered where the games can be heard in Grand Forks as the Clear Channel stations have gotten the bid to carry the sports again. It could be an exciting time for UND.

UND has taken their broadcasting "in-house." That means that UND is now responsible for the sales of advertising and the production of the games and they will buy air-time from their affiliates. Nothing much will change when it's considered where the games can be heard in Grand Forks as the Clear Channel stations have gotten the bid to carry the sports again. It could be an exciting time for UND.

FWLIW, it seems more and more schools are moving in this direction. Assuming you had one "Voice of the Sioux" before, odds are you still will have that person: he or she will now be a University employee after a fashion.

It's JMHO; but I'd say with the rise of cable and satellite TV, radio rights are declining in value.

Any idea if it includes television? Specifically the FSSN (which was produced by WDAZ) and games broadcast by WDAZ (or even other ND ABC affiliates)?

There are 2 jobs posted on the UND web site for media sales person/basketball play-by-play announcer and part-time men's hockey play-by-play announcer. Anyone heard of changes in broadcasting rights?

So I'm curious.............I would doubt that if UND is taking all broadcasting "in house" that they would kick Hennessey and Swygman to the curb. Is this just a formality, that Tim and Swyg will naturally apply for and get the job to become UND employees for the portion of the season that their play-by-play duties fall upon and remain Clear Channel employees?

So I'm curious.............I would doubt that if UND is taking all broadcasting "in house" that they would kick Hennessey and Swygman to the curb. Is this just a formality, that Tim and Swyg will naturally apply for and get the job to become UND employees for the portion of the season that their play-by-play duties fall upon and remain Clear Channel employees?

Don't be too surprised if there's a state law mandating that all jobs for public employees must be advertised in the newspapers for a certain period of time.

When Illinois needs to hire a football or basketball coach, they have to
advertise
the position. And the advertisement must run for a specified length of time. Equal opportunities, etc.

So despite the fact that no one on earth hires a coach for a highly visible sport on the basis of "who sends in the best-looking resume", the state mandates that the university waste time and money with advertising.
:glare:

And somehow, taxes continue to rise despite all this newly-found efficiency. Go figure.

Actually I don't find anything wrong with Dan Terhaar either. It's Kevin Gorg that needs to go.

I just mean when he did UND hockey for those seasons, it really sucked. Maybe you were lucky enough to not be around to listen to him then. It wasn't that he was so bad, it is just that it seemed wrong not listening to Tim H.

Any idea if it includes television? Specifically the FSSN (which was produced by WDAZ) and games broadcast by WDAZ (or even other ND ABC affiliates)?

Last response a couple weeks ago from P Sweeney was that a deal was being worked on for FSSN and would be announced in a few weeks.