SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Committee on Infractions: Florida State University

Lady'sSlipper

NCAA Committee on Infractions: Vacation-of-victories penalty should stand in FSU case, June 18, 2009:

In its response to Florida State's appeal, the NCAA Committee on Infractions argues that the vacation-of-victories penalty it imposed on the university in the wake of an academic fraud scandal should be upheld, that the penalty "is not even particularly severe" and that it considered imposing postseason bans on the FSU teams with athletes implicated in the

scandal.

NCAA's response to FSU's appeal, June 2, 2009

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/seminoles/

NCAA Committee on Infractions: Vacation-of-victories penalty should stand in FSU case, June 18, 2009:

In its response to Florida State's appeal, the NCAA Committee on Infractions argues that the vacation-of-victories penalty it imposed on the university in the wake of an academic fraud scandal should be upheld, that the penalty "is not even particularly severe" and that it considered imposing postseason bans on the FSU teams with athletes implicated in the

scandal.

NCAA's response to FSU's appeal, June 2, 2009

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/seminoles/

Shouldn't they be the Florida State Semi-Trucks by now...? [instead of the Seminoles]

:)

So one day after TK Wetherell retires as president of FSU, the decision comes down. Coincidence, I think not.

When I moved to Florida some 20 years ago, I became a huge FSU fan, mostly because I hated Spurrier at Florida. Over the years I grew weary of the problems the FSU athletic department had, especially in football. Free Shoes University, academic problems and the off field problems. It seemed like every year FSU would be entering a bowl game missing at least 1 or 2 from the starting line-up due to academic issues. You get to a point of accepting it, then you gradually fade from even caring. I can't tell you the last time I watched an FSU game. I couldn't name one player.

Does this scenario sound eerily familiar?

"The most severe penalties are appropriate when the academic mission of the university has been compromised." (Clem Haskins/University of Minnesota, Public Infractions Appeals Committee report....)

Always nice to have your school's name brought up when the term "most severe penalties are appropriate" is being used. :)

And the penalty ISN'T very severe. "Hey, remember those games we went to three years ago? Remember what a great time we had when FSU just romped over....? Well, the joke's on us; turns out we shouldn't have had so much fun in the parking lot afterwards. See, we actually lost that game. Had I known that, we wouldn't have contributed so much to the Seminole Fund these last two years."

The well-known saying is that "the opposite of love isn't hate; it's indifference".

But the bigger point is how people at FSU are shocked, simply shocked to find that their school is cheating.

I think FSU in only one of a number of big schools that push the edge when it comes to maintaining their athletic programs. A good friend of mine tutored FB players in English when she was an undergrad at Alabama, and she was amazed many of these guys could barely read/write at a 5th grade level, yet they still graduated "with honors" in many cases.

I think FSU in only one of a number of big schools that push the edge when it comes to maintaining their athletic programs. A good friend of mine tutored FB players in English when she was an undergrad at Alabama, and she was amazed many of these guys could barely read/write at a 5th grade level, yet they still graduated "with honors" in many cases.

The motto of the SEC is "if you ain't cheating, then you ain't trying."

I have heard stories from a prof at an SEC school (and it's not a football factory by any means) that would curl your hair.

• 2 months later...

The motto of the SEC is "if you ain't cheating, then you ain't trying."

I have heard stories from a prof at an SEC school (and it's not a football factory by any means) that would curl your hair.

I heard stories from UND and NDSU regarding the special status of football players when I was in school. If you think this is only happening at big-time D1 programs, you have your head in the sand.