SiouxSports.com Forum

Backchanneling

GeauxSioux

Ed board member breaks down UND nickname controversy

As to that third component, that visit was very important, at least in my eyes, because we were able to spend the afternoon with Mr. Douple at the Summit League offices. He walked us through the application process and the timing of how these are processed. It ultimately allowed us to ask him some pointed questions regarding UND’s nickname and logo.

At least from the Summit League standpoint, they need an application as soon as possible. And prior to them accepting and acting on that application, we would have to have the nickname issue resolved. Mr. Douple did go far enough to indicate that “resolved” meant that we had to have a letter from the NCAA indicating that we had resolved that portion of the settlement agreement.

As I indicated yesterday, another important piece of that was to get some understanding as to how UND officials felt about the importance of getting into that league.

I like Grant Shaft, although I still can't figure out how he got the MVW in the 1977 City Wrestling Championships, but is this really the Board's business? Should they meeting with conference officials?

You just get the feeling reading that article that something more happened at than meeting than the SBoHE has let out. He talks as if the Summit league is a sure thing. Douple must have communicated that to him but according to a few bison fans hopefully he doesn't change his mind after reading this board. :D Sorry, I couldn't resist.

You just get the feeling reading that article that something more happened at than meeting than the SBoHE has let out. He talks as if the Summit league is a sure thing. Douple must have communicated that to him but according to a few bison fans hopefully he doesn't change his mind after reading this board. :D Sorry, I couldn't resist.

That is the attitude that I am getting from some around here that think it is a slamb dunk. I think it would be sad if it wasn't.

I also still wonder if the NCAA isn't fighting this disagreement through the Summit league as a proxy?

That is the attitude that I am getting from some around here that think it is a slamb dunk. I think it would be sad if it wasn't.

Nothing is a slam dunk right now in Division I and the game of conference membership. But there have been some major indications over the past few months that the Summit Conference really likes the idea of adding UND. At the Summit basketball tournament in Sioux Falls, one of the assistant commissioners was interviewed by the Argus Leader. They had just toured USD. She indicated at the time that USD was going to get in and then said that the only thing holding UND back from getting in was the nickname controversy (not the exact quote).

Douple seems to be interested in going to 12 teams and setting up division play to reduce travel. Adding UND to the other Dakota schools helps that. Also, as a state university UND has the perception of being more stable than many of the schools that have been through the Summit over the years. UND has good academics, which appeal to the University Presidents that vote on conference membership. UND has a better attendance track record than many of the current and former Summit members. The built in rivalries with the other Dakota schools, and the attendance that they will bring to conference tournaments, are very appealing.

These reasons all appeal to UND as reasons for conference membership. And there aren't a lot of other options on the horizon. The only other conference that makes sense geographically and would accept a transitioning school is the Big Sky. It would involve more travel. The only schools that we would have much of a rivalry with would be Northern Colorado and the Montana schools, and we haven't played either Montana school much in the last 3 decades. And the Big Sky has shown no interest in expanding at this time, or expanding this far east.

There are supposedly 5 other schools that are actively interested in joining the Summit. We know 4 of them and UND seems to be a better fit than those schools. We don't know who the 5th is, although there has been some speculation. What we don't know is the timeline that they want to fill that last spot. The school won't actually join for a couple of years, but I have a feeling that they would like to have it in place a year or 2 early so they can start working on things like schedules and marketing and placing tournaments. My guess is that when Grant and the other reps from North Dakota met with Douple they were given an unofficial timeline that the Summit wants to follow to fill their opening. And that timeline did not fit with the process the SBoHE was using in the nickname situation. I believe that the Summit wants to name the 12th member before the October 2010 deadline for resolving the name. So the message to UND was, We really like you and you make a lot of sense, but you won't even get considered if this situation is hanging over your head at the time we make the decision.