SiouxSports.com Forum

Final Five Lineup

stharish

I'm almost positive. Assuming the Sioux win tonight they will automatically be in the semi-final game awaiting the winner of the quarter-final game Thursday. If DU, UW, and or CC all win there series this weekend all three of them will be higher seeds than the Goophers in the F5. I'm thinking the Sioux, UW, DU, and the Goophs will all sweep tonight, and I'm thinking CC is going to bounce back and win 2 in a row to just barely get in against UMD.

Heres what it would look like if my predictions are correct

Quarter-Final CC vs. Goophs

Semi-Final Game 1-DU vs. UW

Semi-Final Game 2-Sioux vs. Winner QF

im pretty sure if the gophs dont make it or get bounced that thursday then the sioux will play the friday afternoon semi to reward them for that seed getting more time for saturdays title game. as stupid as that sounds it may be the way it happens

they should be told they will play the friday game no matter what if thats ok with hak as you shouldnt have to wait til that thursday game is over to know when your friday game is. thats a joke if thats how it plays out

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure at all, but I thought they moved the "1 vs. play-in winner" to the night game so the play-in winner wouldn't have to turn around so quickly. Looks like a lot of people have different ideas here.

Not sure at all, but I thought they moved the "1 vs. play-in winner" to the night game so the play-in winner wouldn't have to turn around so quickly. Looks like a lot of people have different ideas here.

the play in game winner doesnt get rewarded with any rest, thats why you never see a play in game winner win it all. the #1 seed has gotten the rest by playing early friday unless the gopher rule comes into play. it all depends

OK, now I got curious and had to go look. Last year, the #1 seed had the night game, regardless of its opponent. It happened to be the Gophers, but it wasn't the Gopher rule in effect, since #1 was scheduled in the night game before the play-in game was played. This is an excerpt from a WCHA press release that week:

"Then on Friday evening, the winner of Thursday night's game between St. Cloud State and Minnesota will do battle with top-seeded Colorado College (28-9-1) at 7:07 pm CT."

http://www.wcha.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/031708aac.html

The exact reasoning isn't spelled out (and of course this is the WCHA, so they could do anything they wanted and it wouldn't be surprising), but I recall something about them ending the Gopher rule.

OK, now I got curious and had to go look. Last year, the #1 seed had the night game, regardless of its opponent. It happened to be the Gophers, but it wasn't the Gopher rule in effect, since #1 was scheduled in the night game before the play-in game was played. This is an excerpt from a WCHA press release that week:

"Then on Friday evening, the winner of Thursday night's game between St. Cloud State and Minnesota will do battle with top-seeded Colorado College (28-9-1) at 7:07 pm CT."

http://www.wcha.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/031708aac.html

The exact reasoning isn't spelled out (and of course this is the WCHA, so they could do anything they wanted and it wouldn't be surprising), but I recall something about them ending the Gopher rule.

So the Sioux play Friday night if UW and DU both win tonight correct?

Hak was on the coaches show with Tim and Swyg this week and said that the "Minnesota Rule" is still in effect. I am pretty sure that he said it is written into the Final 5 contract with FSN and the X. The contract has 2 or 3 years to go. The teams should know when they will play by the end of this weekend. My guess is that if Minnesota is in the Thursday game they will put that winner up against #1 on Friday night with 2 and 3 on Friday afternoon.

Hak was on the coaches show with Tim and Swyg this week and said that the "Minnesota Rule" is still in effect. I am pretty sure that he said it is written into the Final 5 contract with FSN and the X. The contract has 2 or 3 years to go. The teams should know when they will play by the end of this weekend. My guess is that if Minnesota is in the Thursday game they will put that winner up against #1 on Friday night with 2 and 3 on Friday afternoon.

It would take a couple of upsets in the first round for the rule to matter this year. It's when Minnesota is a 2 or 3 then it sort of pisses me off. The play-in winner on Thursday night has to turn around and play Friday afternoon against a bye team? Dumb.

It would take a couple of upsets in the first round for the rule to matter this year. It's when Minnesota is a 2 or 3 then it sort of pisses me off. The play-in winner on Thursday night has to turn around and play Friday afternoon against a bye team? Dumb.

Correct. Minus the "Gopher Rule", it has always been 2v3 on friday afternoon, and 4/5v1 on friday night.