SiouxSports.com Forum

INCH POWER RANKINGS.

beebsb010

OK Dean whatever. You can act all coy all you want but the same tired phrases and post keep being recycled and re-occuring. If we went back and reviewed yours to the one of your other identity dean, you would see that all post would all have the same theme. Need we continue? I a blind three year old could see it.

OK, believe what you want. You're a blind three year old?

Braketology is fine but that thing is going to change by the day. Last night BU lost to Providence

so that is going to change it again. It is fun to look at but it will look very different on March 21st or

when ever the Final Five is over.

Yep -- Bracketology (and PWR) tell you what would happen if the season ended today, but there are something like 400-500 games remaining to be played! The PWR rankings as of today are somewhat interesting, but going through the exercise of seeding the tournament as if the season were ending today is borderline ridiculous.

I continue to think a far more interesting question is what PWR will look like in the future. We all saw how much PWR moved from the Minnesota series, and this post tries to predict how much it can move from the Michigan Tech series alone.

Yep -- Bracketology (and PWR) tell you what would happen if the season ended today, but there are something like 400-500 games remaining to be played! The PWR rankings as of today are somewhat interesting, but going through the exercise of seeding the tournament as if the season were ending today is borderline ridiculous.

I continue to think a far more interesting question is what PWR will look like in the future. We all saw how much PWR moved from the Minnesota series, and this post tries to predict how much it can move from the Michigan Tech series alone.

wow, thanks. sweet breakdown and jim im sure you have been told you look like doogie howser right? :huh::D

I am so glad we have people like you Jim that understand the PWR/RPI... Last season I remember something like 8 WCHA teams in the running for an NCAA bid once he conference tourney started that number dropped. I see that happening this season as well in some of the other leagues.

im sure you have been told you look like doogie howser right? :huh::D

NPH and I even have the same birthday (though apparently not the same taste in women :D, not that there's anything wrong with that). I really should update that pic, though, it's about three years old now.

This chart is the meat of the post. This is the probability distribution of UND's PWR after this weekend based on the outcome vs. Mich. Tech. The variability surprised me a little:

20090119.gif

Jim, so your chart is saying, if we sweep, we can finish anywhere from 11th to 20th in the PWR, with the most likely finishing spot being about 16th? If I'm way off, please elaborate.

Thanks for all your help on the subject.

bottom line - sweep these techies :huh: keep this run going................

Jim, so your chart is saying, if we sweep, we can finish anywhere from 11th to 20th in the PWR, with the most likely finishing spot being about 16th? If I'm way off, please elaborate.

Right, the left axis is the likelihood (based on the outcomes of the 50 or so games in the NCAA this weekend) of each of the PWR rankings on the bottom.

Though 11 is possible, it's like a 1% chance. To quote the post:

(If) UND sweeps: 68% chance it’s between 15 and 17, about a 4% chance its 13 or higher, about a 4% chance it’s 19 or lower

Right, the left axis is the likelihood (based on the outcomes of the 50 or so games in the NCAA this weekend) of each of the PWR rankings on the bottom.

Roger that....thanks Jim.

I like the idea of another sweep. I wouldn't rule out a split in Houghton though. It's a tough place to come away with two wins.

I took stats in graduate schools and I still don't get it.

I will take your word for it. :huh: