SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Green Bay

siouxdude

Maybe there needs to be a line up change, or at least give others girls an opportunity. Our best defender IMO is Seay, and she is coming off the bench. LaFrance seems productive in her limited playing time by getting a few rebounds and points. Also, I've seen Lof knock down some shots and run the floor well at their home games. Kimbrough and Guinn are no doubt the ones we need to looked to for leadership and scoring, but there needs to be contributions from other players to relieve pressure off of them.

As far as Roebuck putting the blame on his girls every time is ridiculous. Yes, they are partly responsible, but he needs to be accountable for "giving up" or MAYBE just being out-coached. If you constantly tell the girls they aren't good enough to play, they're going to start believing that - and that's the last thing they need.

I must have missed the part in the paper where he told them they weren't "good enough". He's coached a thousand games, he's on the road and down 40. He didn't give up, he (along w/whole team) got his ass beat. From the opening tip they got whipped. Guess what folks, its going to happen more than you think the next couple years. Wait til Keirah is gone...........she's the closest DI athlete we have right now.

I'm telling you all again, this DI thing is a whole different animal. Maybe coach is even surprised by the upgrade in talent that they are facing. They'll get a split this weekend, maybe a sweep. But the days of 28-1 or 27-2 are long gone. We won't play in Elite 8's ever again. Get used to it people.

I understand the transition part. Does Roebuck? Of course this is going to happen, but to quit "coaching" and act juvenile is ridiculous. Our recruiting has not been the best and I know it's difficult for a school in playoff limbo, but the coaching staff is responsible for the level of talent. We are going to lose some games, but blaming the athletes is not the answer IMO.

The athlethes are the ones playing the game aren't they? It's up to them what they do with the tools that the coach gives them in PRACTICE. I think the girls gave up in the last game before coach Roebuck did, you can only yell and scream in a time out for so long, I think he took all his time outs right away in the second half. They are big girls....they need to take some responsibility for this move up to D1....don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's NEVER the coaches fault but I watched the game online and those girls gave up in the first 15 mins of the game....hard to coach when you have girls sitting on the bench pouting when they get in foul trouble......

I watched the game and we could not do anything on offense. We struggle against teams that pressure and over play the passing lanes. I wish we could adjust to that part of the game better but we don't, and that's part coaching. The girls play like robots sometimes because they are told the ball needs to go to a certain spot so they end up forcing things. then it's a turnover and their on the bench and their confidence is shattered. Roebuck is a good coach but seems to stubborn at times to adjust to certain things like staying in man to man defense to long. No doubt that the girls are mainly to blame, but i wish that roebuck would take some of the blame just once in awhile. He did get out coached badly last game.

There is hope. SDSU is on the edge of a top 25 ranking. You just have to find the right recruiting formula and a coach that believes. That might be your current coach or it might not. NDSU and UND need to only to look to what is going on in Brookings. They've beaten Utah, MO, WI, OR, and IL . . . loosing only to top 10 ranked MD by 12. They are probably stronger than MN who is an upper level BT team, we'll see when they play later this year.

If they keep winning, I'd expect a top 25 ranking shortly. If they stay healthy, the should have a smooth road to the NCAA tournament and have a shot at some wins there. Womens BB is one of the few DI sports where you can recruit regionally and win at the top levels as there is DI talent in the upper MW. There is hope with the right formula.

I agree about the offense. We are going to need multiple sets to throw at teams. Passing and screening away and waiting for Kimbrough to get open will not work against the good teams. Then the perimeter players end up taking a bad shot at the end of the shot clock and we go long stretches without scoring. Take the open shot when it is there if it is a shot you can make because D1 defenses might not let you have it back. As for Roebuck, not going into the huddle during some of the timeouts at Green Bay is riduculous! If the team is giving 100% and they are getting beat, then you are beat. But the effort is a life skill, and if we are giving it, that is all you can ask for some games.

Little side note from the WBB notes on the fightingsioux.com.....How does Kimbrough go from being 12th on the all-time scoring list with 1,480 last week and then this week get to 3rd with 2,000 points? Did I miss a game where she scored 520 points? haha

And did anyone find a free live-stream for the games in AZ this weekend? Or is radio the best we are going to get?

I watched the game and we could not do anything on offense. We struggle against teams that pressure and over play the passing lanes. I wish we could adjust to that part of the game better but we don't, and that's part coaching. The girls play like robots sometimes because they are told the ball needs to go to a certain spot so they end up forcing things. then it's a turnover and their on the bench and their confidence is shattered. Roebuck is a good coach but seems to stubborn at times to adjust to certain things like staying in man to man defense to long. No doubt that the girls are mainly to blame, but i wish that roebuck would take some of the blame just once in awhile. He did get out coached badly last game.

We struggle against those teams because we lack that type of athleticism. In DI it is more about athletes than bball players. The ability to beat people off the dribble or jump over people is what gets it done against DI talent. Our girls are good DII athletes but we have very few DI-type athletes, if any, in our program. Kimbrough for sure, but she wouldn't be a 5 in the Big 10 or Big 12. Guinn, maybe, but she'd be a 2 at the next level. After that, who? Next years crop is interesting, we'll see if the coaches made the adjustment.

We struggle against those teams because we lack that type of athleticism. In DI it is more about athletes than bball players. The ability to beat people off the dribble or jump over people is what gets it done against DI talent. Our girls are good DII athletes but we have very few DI-type athletes, if any, in our program. Kimbrough for sure, but she wouldn't be a 5 in the Big 10 or Big 12. Guinn, maybe, but she'd be a 2 at the next level. After that, who? Next years crop is interesting, we'll see if the coaches made the adjustment.

It seems to me that if a lack of athletic ability was a nearly insurmountable problem at the dI level, shouldn't the 2005-06 and 2006-07 NDSU teams have gone virtually winless vs. dI opponents? Seriously, those Bison teams had almost no talent to speak of, and lost at home to the likes of UMD, MSU-Moorhead and Bemidji St., and yet had roughly a dozen dI wins over tournament-eligible teams those two seasons, and suffered relatively few blowout losses. They even had a couple of respectable showings vs. then-ranked teams at Minnesota and New Mexico. This certainly isn't one of the most talented Sioux teams we've seen, but I still find it very disappointing to get blown out by teams that probably aren't that great. Maybe Green Bay is or will be, but Wyoming certainly isn't judging by their other results so far this season.

[/quote Agree. but teams that scout us well know that when we run our 4 out 1 in offense all they have to do is play the passing lanes and switch on our screens. All we do is pass and screen away so teams just switch and their right in the passing lanes. We have done more on the ball screens the past couple of years and that opens up the court more and makes the defense at least think a little more about how to defend it. Plus you can end up with more miss-matches.