SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Aggies

aggie6thman

In all honestly, this is probably the least confident I've been heading into a game since the UNI game two years ago. Obviously we know how that game turned out. But as much as I'd love to think a similar result is possible, the Sioux defense right now scares me, particularly since UC-Davis is likely far better than any UND opponent this year so far. And it only gets tougher the following week. On the other hand, UND is not used to being a big underdog, so hopefully the team will flourish in that role.

I still remember the playoff game back in 01. That was a great game. The Sioux defense swarmed O'Sullivan all day. Unfortunately, the defense this year is nowhere near what it used to be. I hope the Sioux win, but I think in the end the defensive holes are just too big and the score will be somewhere around 45-35 Davis on the winning end. I hope I'm wrong.....

In all honestly, this is probably the least confident I've been heading into a game since the UNI game two years ago. Obviously we know how that game turned out. But as much as I'd love to think a similar result is possible, the Sioux defense right now scares me, particularly since UC-Davis is likely far better than any UND opponent this year so far. And it only gets tougher the following week. On the other hand, UND is not used to being a big underdog, so hopefully the team will flourish in that role.

I agree with all those sentiments. But as the season has played out, it looks like UC Davis is not as tough as we all they'd they be. Don't get me wrong, they will still be the best team we have faced to date. The biggest worry is the fact that they are a pass-happy team, and UND has proven to be vulnerable in the secondary. Hopefully we step it up. I expect an entertaining and close game.

Why such pessimism? UND can play better on defense but Western Wash was pretty good on offense. Do remember that they beat UC davis last year in one of their only wins of the season. UC has played some teams tough this year but haven't exactly been tearing it up. I expect a pretty even, hard fought game which I do for the rest of the way this year.

Why such pessimism? UND can play better on defense but Western Wash was pretty good on offense. Do remember that they beat UC davis last year in one of their only wins of the season. UC has played some teams tough this year but haven't exactly been tearing it up. I expect a pretty even, hard fought game which I do for the rest of the way this year.

Poor D has been happening all year...I hope the boys prove me wrong against Cal Davis...er Davis....er....i forget what I'm supposed to call them. Is it strictly UC Davis?

Poor D has been happening all year...I hope the boys prove me wrong against Cal Davis...er Davis....er....i forget what I'm supposed to call them. Is it strictly UC Davis?

From the UC Davis GAME NOTES

THE NAME GAME (no hyphens please)

With a growing life in Division I comes more attention from national media and, as a result, more media outlets referring to UC Davis in a number of different manners... Simply, the university is either

According to weather.com Davis is supposed to be 87 degrees and sunny on Saturday. A bit of a surprise to me for fall. Is this the norm out there this time of year??

We usually get a couple of hot weeks before the "cool" weather start to come in. It does get down into the 50's in the morning and late evening, but it is some pretty nice weather out here this time of year.

That game was a culmination of about 34524532 things going wrong on the same day. It was the opening day of our new stadium and it was about 120 on the field for the noon kick off. EMT's were pulling people out of the stands on stretchers because of heat stroke. Great times. Both teams had to play for it and we just flat out couldn't take care of the ball.

Our secondary is our weakest link, but we stuff the run very, very well. Our front line and linebackers put a ton of pressure on the QB and they come from all over the place.

Geez, why are they such babies about this in recent years? Some say catsup, others say ketchup. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. For years Ken O'Brien's bio listed him as having played his college ball at Cal-Davis. If it was so important to not call them that I wonder why O'Brien never informed the Jets so they could change it in their media guide? It may be technically incorrect, but Cal-Davis sure rolls off the tounge much easier than UC-Davis. UCD would seem logical but UC-Davis to me seems like if we were to refer to UCLA as UC-Los Angeles. Weird. :D

UC Davis and Cal Poly are in two different university systems. UC Davis is in the University of California system and Cal Poly is in the California State University System. Kind of like how Minnesota has the University of Minnesota system and the MnSCU system. It would be like someone calling the University of Minnesota-Duluth, "Minnesota State Duluth." I don't blame UC Davis for wanting to be known by the correct name.

Really? Then I wonder why Cal Poly isn't known as Cal State Poly?

From Wiki

Name

The university's full, official name is California Polytechnic State University. In common with many other polytechnic institutions, however, the university has also sanctioned an elided version of its full name for official use: "Cal Poly" (or the lengthier "Cal Poly San Luis Obispo" when it is necessary to make a distinction between Cal Poly on the Central Coast and its similarly-named, sister CSU campus in Pomona). The athletic department is also officially sanctioned to use the initials "CP." Though not official, "Cal Poly SLO," "Poly," "CPSU," and "CPSLO" are also commonly used to refer to the university. [5] While Cal Poly is part of the California State University, it is improper to refer to the campus with names such as "CSU San Luis Obispo"[6] or "Cal State SLO"[7] [8], because Cal Poly officially retains the name it held before its acquisition by the CSU system (see also CSU Campus Naming Conventions).

After delving further into the numbers for these two teams, I've decided the game is almost just too close to call.

The two best pass offenses in the league pitted against the two worst pass defenses in the league. Also, these two teams have the top 2 run defenses in the GWC.

Davis is 2nd in the league in sacks, but North Dakota is 2nd in sacks against. Davis has taken alot of sacks on the season, but UND doesn't get to the QB a whole lot.

UC Davis and UND are 1 and 2 respectively in time of possession in the conference.

The Aggies are definately battle tested as they have obviously played a much tougher schedule than the Sioux and have lost a couple heart-breakers to very good teams, but still the strongest team they have defeated is SUU.

UC Davis is undefeated at home this season. UND has played all right in their two road games this season. (Idaho St. should have been blown out.)

A couple of apparent advantages I can see for the Sioux are that Davis is prone to turn the ball over and they take alot of penalties.

If these two teams met on a neutral field, I think they'd play to 49-49 tie.

With the game being a road game, outdoors for UND, I am going to reluctantly pick UC Davis to win by 3-6 points in a high scoring affair.

UC Davis 44

Northh Dakota 40

The Aggies have played beeter as of late, we have a young QB who is now gaining experience and he is now coming in to his own. He can make every throw, just prone to mistakes, which are now becoming more infrequent. If you want to hurt us, throw the ball into the secondary. Our DB's are pathetic and have been so all year long. Ags punting game has been below average all year....many punts getting blocked early, but we seem to be figuring that out now. That being said, Ags have arguably the top receiving core in all of FCS and can move the ball at ease. To go along with others I will predict a high score....

UCD-45

UND-28

The Aggies have played beeter as of late, we have a young QB who is now gaining experience and he is now coming in to his own. He can make every throw, just prone to mistakes, which are now becoming more infrequent. If you want to hurt us, throw the ball into the secondary. Our DB's are pathetic and have been so all year long. Ags punting game has been below average all year....many punts getting blocked early, but we seem to be figuring that out now. That being said, Ags have arguably the top receiving core in all of FCS and can move the ball at ease. To go along with others I will predict a high score....

UCD-45

UND-28

While your prediction is not necessarily unrealistic, this score would be the most lop-sided UND loss since 2002. I think the game will be decided by 10 or less.

didn't the bye-sin beat this team last year by like 30 plus points? i think we will handle them even though it is at their house.

The NDSU of this year is not the NDSU of last year. And the UND of this year is also not the NDSU of last year. It is going ot be a tough game.