2008-2009 ND High School Hockey

GF_siouxfan

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Possibility of Central players coming to RR. It will be an interesting year, GPR will be the team to beat though. Just hope they don't pull a RR though.

I believe Bancroft will be attending a USHL showcase tournament along with Kovaks of Dickinson, Gaustad of Grafton, Burdick of South, and Arnason of Red River as well. I may have missed a player or two in their and I apologize if that's the case.

I believe Bancroft will be attending a USHL showcase tournament along with Kovaks of Dickinson, Gaustad of Grafton, Burdick of South, and Arnason of Red River as well. I may have missed a player or two in their and I apologize if that's the case.

Can anyone show up to this?

The reason I ask is Bancroft was probably the 8th or 9th best player on RR last yr. Burdick may have been the 10th or 11th best player on south last yr.

I didn't know that these teams were that deep?

Can anyone show up to this?

The reason I ask is Bancroft was probably the 8th or 9th best player on RR last yr. Burdick may have been the 10th or 11th best player on south last yr.

I didn't know that these teams were that deep?

I have no idea what the selection process for this is like. If I find out, I'll be sure to post it.

This is the most information I could find on selection, it comes directly from USHL.com: "USHL Central Scouting, like its NHL counterpart, is a league-run scouting service for the benefit of all the teams in the USHL. Throughout the 2007-08 season, the USHL Central Scouting staff of more than 20 members will identify the top players in North America. Upon identification, USHL Central Scouting will invite these elite players to participate in the USHL Central Scouting Showcase Camps, the only camps created specifically for exposure to the USHL."

This is the most information I could find on selection, it comes directly from USHL.com: "USHL Central Scouting, like its NHL counterpart, is a league-run scouting service for the benefit of all the teams in the USHL. Throughout the 2007-08 season, the USHL Central Scouting staff of more than 20 members will identify the top players in North America. Upon identification, USHL Central Scouting will invite these elite players to participate in the USHL Central Scouting Showcase Camps, the only camps created specifically for exposure to the USHL."

Top players in North America? Nothing personal to those kids but none of them are even the top player on their own team.

Top players in North America? Nothing personal to those kids but none of them are even the top player on their own team.

Look, we all know that some players get into camps in which they are maybe in over there head. However, the intent of the USHL is to bring in the best possible players that they can. With that said, they can't always get the players they want to attend these camps. Maybe the play other sports, have prior commitments, or simply don't want to play hockey in the summer. Was Alex Simonson the top player on his team? Probably not. But he's making an argument for himself with his play in the USHL. Look, whether you believe they should be invited to the camp or not, you should be supporting of the successes of players from your state, not making childish statements that are obviously intended to be taken in a negative manner.

• 1 month later...
Hm. Interesting.

So what does everyone think? Positive or a negative for next years South team? I figured they'd be first or second next year, and don't see them as being much else. Is there any clue as to who the new coach will be?

From what I can tell there is not really a front funner at this time. It's a pretty good job with the new UP Center coming on line in the next year, and the tournament center hopefully up an running by winter of 2009 (speculation at best). On the other hand it could be very difficult with Davies taking a large chunk of players with it in 2011.

Stay tuned.

Front Funner. :lol:

I was expecting Wilson would stay for a few more years before stepping down, but I guess he was just waiting for this opportunity to arise. The new coach will have a lot of opportunity to succeed, they've got a pretty decent lineup, but Grafton and Central still look pretty good at this point too. If they get a good new coach, I see them doing extremely well, if they don't, it could be trouble for them.

Can't wait to watch some hockey in this new UP center.

Front Funner. :sad:

I was expecting Wilson would stay for a few more years before stepping down, but I guess he was just waiting for this opportunity to arise. The new coach will have a lot of opportunity to succeed, they've got a pretty decent lineup, but Grafton and Central still look pretty good at this point too. If they get a good new coach, I see them doing extremely well, if they don't, it could be trouble for them.

Can't wait to watch some hockey in this new UP center.

Front Runner, I'm sure they are lining up to take they job. :D

I've got my Force, tickets, I can't wait to go and pick out my seats.

• 2 months later...

Kind of a bump here. Finally started looking at these forums again. :silly:

School is starting up all around the State, and the buzz is about to begin. Seems pretty dull in here right now though. :silly:

Anyways -

Fall hockey leagues are starting, who's playing and for who?

Fargo South got their head coach (don't know about assistants? :silly: ), his name is David Benson, formerly coached for the Fargo Flyers and coached a College team in South Dakota. Seems qualified?

Predictions for the coming school year?

*Dusts off thread*

• 3 months later...
Talk about an inactive community this year. :huh:

The season is two weeks old and there isn't a single post. :glare:

Tonight RR rolled past Wahpeton as expected, and South tied Moorhead 2-2.

Not very many close games in league competition yet.

Gotta wait til we get closer to the marque matchups then more talk will come about who's the best and what not.

Talk about an inactive community this year. :huh:

The season is two weeks old and there isn't a single post. :glare:

Tonight RR rolled past Wahpeton as expected, and South tied Moorhead 2-2.

Not very many close games in league competition yet.

I'll comment on the South Moorhead game. Very evenly matched teams. Good to very good goaltending both ways. South's strength rignt now is in the net and on the blue line. They are very big and very physical. South's going to need to find some scoring. There were a lot of missed opportunities in where nets were missed and shots were fanned on. Moorhead is going to be pretty good. From what I understand the spuds haven't had as much practice time as a team as south and it showed early on. South seemed to trasition through the nutral zone much better then the spuds in the first period, but as the game wore on Moorhead got better and better. I didn't see a big drop off between each teams three lines, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

South will be a contender in the East and if they can find some scoring they will have a chance at state. Not that it means much but I think these bantams finished 2nd to Grafton.

Moorhead will also contend in a down year in Sec 8.

I would have liked to see this have closer to christmas, like it typically is played, that would have given me a better look at the two teams.

I'll comment on the South Moorhead game. Very evenly matched teams. Good to very good goaltending both ways. South's strength rignt now is in the net and on the blue line. They are very big and very physical. South's going to need to find some scoring. There were a lot of missed opportunities in where nets were missed and shots were fanned on. Moorhead is going to be pretty good. From what I understand the spuds haven't had as much practice time as a team as south and it showed early on. South seemed to trasition through the nutral zone much better then the spuds in the first period, but as the game wore on Moorhead got better and better. I didn't see a big drop off between each teams three lines, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

South will be a contender in the East and if they can find some scoring they will have a chance at state. Not that it means much but I think these bantams finished 2nd to Grafton.

Moorhead will also contend in a down year in Sec 8.

I would have liked to see this have closer to christmas, like it typically is played, that would have given me a better look at the two teams.

I agree with your assessment. This game was very entertaining, lots of pressure in front of the net on both sides, great goaltending, and very physical. It will be fun to see these teams later in the season after they get their legs. Both teams had their chances to win.