SiouxSports.com Forum

Mark Foss Passes Away

GeauxSioux

I joined this forum to put my 2 cents in on a man that was my father and was probably the greatest UND supporter the school will ever know. Here is a guy whom received a masters in engineering, played as an all-conference football player for 3 years and was offered to play in the pros. He met my Mom at UND, we have had 10 different family members attend UND and my Dad loved the school. He would go to practically every home football game, many basketball and hockey games. He would listen to the radio (even if the signal was so weak most of it was static) to many, many non-home games (keep in mind he lived in Fargo his entire life after college) football mainly, yet many hockey and basketball. If every former student put a weeks worth of my Dad's lifetime of effort for the great school of UND, UND would probably have become D-1 and the Harvard of the midwest. He fought hard for the Sioux name, he donated so much time and $$$ toward the school, he just absolutely loved you guys and even if one person reads this post and sends a greeting of grattitude his way (in heaven) then this will have been worth it for me.

I joined this forum to put my 2 cents in on a man that was my father and was probably the greatest UND supporter the school will ever know. Here is a guy whom received a masters in engineering, played as an all-conference football player for 3 years and was offered to play in the pros. He met my Mom at UND, we have had 10 different family members attend UND and my Dad loved the school. He would go to practically every home football game, many basketball and hockey games. He would listen to the radio (even if the signal was so weak most of it was static) to many, many non-home games (keep in mind he lived in Fargo his entire life after college) football mainly, yet many hockey and basketball. If every former student put a weeks worth of my Dad's lifetime of effort for the great school of UND, UND would probably have become D-1 and the Harvard of the midwest. He fought hard for the Sioux name, he donated so much time and $$$ toward the school, he just absolutely loved you guys and even if one person reads this post and sends a greeting of grattitude his way (in heaven) then this will have been worth it for me.

Know that we all appreciate everything that he has done for UND and ND. My condolensces to you and your family.

I'm sending a greeting of gratitude to your father Tom. A big thank you to your family and especially your dad.

He has my eternal gratitude for all that he did for UND. I'm very sorry to hear of his passing, my condolences to your entire family.

Tom - I met your dad a few times - he was a gentleman, yet a fun guy who truly loved UND and UND athletics. He did a tremendous amount of good for the University with his time, his money and his influence. UND (and the world) needs more guys like your dad!

Don't be disappointed by the number of responses you receive. This forum is not the most-read and, it being over the holidays, I think a lot of regulars have not been visiting this site in recent days!

Mark - keep looking out for UND's best interests. I know you still have a lot of influence up there!!!

• 1 year later...

It has been over 1.5 years since I posted on this site, however ,was thinking of my father today. Nice to see he is still the number 1 Google search for his name Mark Foss. I guess I want to try and keep his memory and legacy alive, one of his last details of his life (he died at age 80) was to fight to keep the Sioux name and logo:The North Dakota Fighting Sioux are the athletic teams of the University of North Dakota (UND), which is located in the city of Grand Forks, North Dakota, in the United States. The logo is a Native American figure. The logo was designed by Bennett Brien, a local artist and UND graduate of Ojibwa ethnicity. BISMARCK, N.D. (AP)

"The bottom line is this, my Dad dedicated the last years of his life to keep the "Fighting Sioux Name and Logo" alive and well and also to make sure that no one including the NCAA or anyone else trys to take it away from the great school of UND. I hope that the law passes and NCAA and the people against this law (that never should have even been needed) get move on with their lives and dedicate them to do something more useful and important and quit pickin on the great name of "The Fighting Sioux" "

Tom, Wish granted! A tribute to your dad's legacy... and that of all diehard Sioux fans who voiced their support for the name they honor!