SiouxSports.com Forum

Any news of BB recruits?

teamsioux

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's safe to say that there will be a few womens basketball players who will not be returning next year. There are 12 players on the roster this year with at least one year of eligibility remaining, plus the five new recruits. I suspect at least three players will not be back.

Obviously, everyone on the roster isn't on scholarship but I agree that there will likely be at least a couple of ladies missing next fall. My best guess:

Elias

Hausauer - I have no idea what happened with her, had a great frosh season, didn't get much playing time at all this last year.

Kilander

Olimb

It wouldn't be overly surprising to me if Perrizo didn't come back despite being a starter. Gut feeling - don't have any "inside" info on that!

Obviously, everyone on the roster isn't on scholarship but I agree that there will likely be at least a couple of ladies missing next fall.  My best guess:

Elias

Hausauer -  I have no idea what happened with her, had a great frosh season, didn't get much playing time at all this last year.

Kilander

Olimb

It wouldn't be overly surprising to me if Perrizo didn't come back despite being a starter.  Gut feeling - don't have any "inside" info on that!

I agree, and would add Megan Glynn to the list of possibilities. However, she is very tall so she may eventually become a decent defender, and in particular as a shot-blocker, if she were to stick it out for five years.

I have wondered the same thing about Perrizo. I am by no means saying that she should leave, but with Mahlum clearly being a better pure point guard, the addition of Jahner and Maffin who can also play the point, and the fact that it would be tough to play Perrizo much at the wing considering her very low shooting percentage, I have to wonder about her playing time next year.

You ask a good question. I had thought that they were going to announce their two signings right away and then wait to see what happened with Ferguson and a couple of other guys. As I mentioned before, they were also hoping to learn how some of these guys were leaning before offering a point guard a scholarship.

Obviously, I hope that the delay doesn't mean things aren't falling into place.

They were also hoping to convince a 6'7" HS kid out of Wisconsin to walk-on.

I will post more when I learn more - I haven't called up there this week. I am sure the staff is plenty busy!

The one consolation is that St. Cloud, another team that loses a large majority of its scoring from this year, hasn't announced any signings yet, either. Nor has USD to my knowledge.

At least UND already has a pretty good class with Austin, Doyle, Gutter and Jacobson. Not that they don't need at least three more good players, but that's a pretty good start.

Another good sign is that Kentucky Wesleyan has not yet announced any signings, as it is likely that UND is competing for some of the same players.

What is somewhat surprising is that UND has not been able to capitalize on any of the talent coming out of Twin Cities this year. The talent coming out of the Cities is deeper than ever, while out-state talent is sparse. The following list from GopherHole ranks the 40 top Minnesota BB seniors. It would appear there is some unsigned D-II talent available starting at position 19, but probably not fitting UND's needs. Only MSU-M and NDSU from the NCC have so far benefitted from the Twin Cities talent.

Rank Name HT WT POS Location/School College Choice

1 Kris Humphries 6-8 230 P/WF Minnetonka (MN) Hopkins DUKE

2 Lawrence McKenzie 6-2 165 PG Minneapolis (MN) Patrick Henry OKLAHOMA

3 James Davis 7-0 255 C Minneapolis (MN) North JUCO

4 Dan Coleman 6-8 220 P/WF Minnetonka (MN) Hopkins BOSTON COLLEGE

5 Kammron Taylor 6-2 160 PG Minneapolis (MN) North WISCONSIN

6 Longar Longar 6-10 200 C Rochester (MN) John Marshall OKLAHOMA (PREP)

7 Dan Fitzgerald 6-9 195 WF Mendota Heights (MN) STA TULANE

8 Kevin Henderson 6-3 200 G/F Minneapolis (MN) North UW-GREEN BAY

9 Isaac Rosefelt 6-8 210 PF Mendota Heights (MN) STA BOWLING GREEN

10 Darren Clarke 6-4 205 2G Minnetonka (MN) Hopkins ST. LOUIS

11 Matt Annen 6-7 195 W/PF Elk River (MN) Elk River OHIO U

12 Jonathan Williams 6-8 225 PF St. Cloud (MN) Apollo ST. JOHN

DMB-did you have any inside info on those other girls you mentioned...or were they your guesses?

Those were the same ones I had thought of also. Elias and Kilander just don't seem to have a feel for the game. They are athletes, but not basketball players in my mind. They seem to be kind of lost out there. Even if they stay healthy, I don't think they add much to the team. As far as Hausauer goes, I thought she lost her passion for the game, she was definitely a different person and player on the court.....losing didn't seem to bother her anymore.

Perrizo leaving is a new idea, I think she will have quite a few minutes from the wing. Hopefully playing her natural position will help her.

Hopefully these new players bring some heart to this team. I felt that was this teams biggest problem. Not that they weren't working hard or trying, I just didn't think this team had what it takes mentally to go as far as the talent could take them. The games just got away from the girls sometimes, the whole team seemed lost out there. Other than Boll and sometimes Leighton, I didn't see a lot of emotion or leadership out there. I think that potentially Boese has what it takes to be a leader out on the court, hopefully she can fill that role as she gets more experienced.

Perrizo leaving is a new idea, I think she will have quite a few minutes from the wing.  Hopefully playing her natural position will help her.

I certainly hope Perrizo returns and that she can have better success at the wing than she did at the point, but her shooting percentage must improve dramatically. 35% overall and 28% from 3-point range is really bad. Maybe not having to be the primary ballhandler will help her, but if not she may see her playing time diminish.

Teamsioux -- I do have some ties to inside info on the men's program but not nearly as much with the ladies. They were solely guesses on my part. Kilander and Elias get little scholarship assistance and I am sure that Track picks up most of Olimb's limited scholarship $.

UND 92,96 -- With DeMaine being a senior and no other real height on the roster, I would think that Roebuck will give Glynn another year to develop.

I did some surfing of the web on the recruit we got out of Iowa - she was from a smaller school but appears to be a heck of an athlete.

I agree that we have the start of a good mens' recruiting class. Although one of the reasons we landed Austin was our agreeing to his playing both FB and BB, I hope he gives up on his FB interests quickly. His not joining the BB team until December would not be good. We need him to be learning the system, etc. from the first day of practice. He is going to have to play a very important part in next year's team.

star2city -- UND was not actively recruiting anyone out of the Cities. That could change if we could pick one of them up at the last minute. But, this would be due to our other priorities not coming through.

What is somewhat surprising is that UND has not been able to capitalize on any of the talent coming out of Twin Cities this year.  The talent coming out of the Cities is deeper than ever, while out-state talent is sparse. 

The one guy from the Cities who didn't go division I and who I really wish UND would have tried to recruit is Kyle Marxhausen. I haven't seen him play, but I have heard he is very good. Maybe he would have gone to Mankato anyway, but I would have to think UND would have had a fighting chance considering Mankato isn't generally considered one of the better NCC programs, despite having pretty good talent the past few years.

On the other hand, maybe UND is going to sign some juco players who are even better prospects. Hopefully we'll know within the next week or so.

star2city Posted on Apr 18 2003, 03:27 PM

What is somewhat surprising is that UND has not been able to capitalize on any of the talent coming out of Twin Cities this year. The talent coming out of the Cities is deeper than ever, while out-state talent is sparse.

There are still some good players on the list that are not committed yet. Nuness, Reck and Bobby Harris.

I'm surprised that apparently no NCC teams went after Kyle Nelson harder. He may be viewed as a project at this point, but he has 6'9" height, a nice shooting touch and potential. No disrespect to NDSU, but considering they've been fairly small in the post the last few years, you would think maybe they in particular would have been willing to take a chance on Nelson.

I think maybe NDSU may have been a little gunshy about recruiting skinny tall guys after Marc Forbush and Jon Breneman.

That's possible. But on the other hand, they haven't had much more luck recently with not-so-thin post players (Kelchen) or relatively short, skinny post players (Banks).

The fact that we announced the two signees a week or so ago is not good news. I know that they had hoped to sign at least one other player right away. As far as I know Ferguson from Lake Region has still not made a decision so he could really help our cause if he chooses to play for the Sioux. I understand that he may becoming a bit cocky with all the attention he is getting despite the fact that none of the schools courting him are DI (other than SU).

Believe it or not, Hakeem Rollins, the JC player out of Mesa CC who just chose Washington over Minnesota, gave UND some consideration. He is a dandy - would have been great to latch on to him - although it was never very likely to happen.