SiouxSports.com Forum

Any news of BB recruits?

teamsioux

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have one commitment from a talented 6'8" juco transfer. Lots of upside potential but we would prefer to red-shirt him next year.

That leaves three more scholarships available.

We really want the Ferguson kid from Lake Region but a lot or schools are after him. He doesn't qualify for DI but he could get there via the NDSU "loophole". As we all know, they are DII next year before going DI in the fall of '04. He would be "grandfathered" into DI. This is appealing to him. He has made his visit to SU and will be at UND next weekend. Kentucky Wesleyan among others is also interested.

There are 2-3 other talented bigger kids, trying to decide if they want to go to DI. They will likely come to UND if they don't go DI. That means we could get all three of them or not any.

Depending what happens with these kids, we might bring in a juco piont guard. Doyle, the incoming freshman from Iowa, could play but Glas would prefer to red-shirt him.

Lot of potential for getting some great recruits but lots of "ifs" as well!

We really want the Ferguson kid from Lake Region but a lot or schools are after him.  He doesn't qualify for DI but he could get there via the NDSU "loophole".  As we all know, they are DII next year before going DI in the fall of '04.  He would be "grandfathered" into DI.  This is appealing to him.  He has made his visit to SU and will be at UND next weekend.  Kentucky Wesleyan among others is also interested.

Thanks for the info, DMB.

I have a couple of questions you may or may not be able to answer. Has Ferguson pretty much decided he's tranferring after this year instead of playing another year at Lake Region? I know he's quite a bit older than the average college freshman.

Also, do the coaches expect that Adam Jacobson will be an impact player next year, or is he expected to be more of a role player?

Thanks in advance.

It appears that Ferguson will be transferring - but it would have to be to a DII school. He wants to go into International Business. Kentucky Wesleyan doesn't have much of a program. SU's Business Program is now accredited but honestly is not as good as UND's. The hope is that our Business folks who talk to Ferguson can convince him that he will get the best education at UND. We will see.

They expect Jacobson to contribute but I don't think they would consider him to be an "impact" player, at least not next year.

Obviously, Aaron Austin may be an impact player but his wanting to play football really complicates things.

The Nelson kid won't end up at UND unless he wants to walk-on!

Any coaching staff is disappointed to lose seniors who have been with their program from the start. Seniors normally provide good leadership for underclassmen. Plus, the fact that this leaves us with only one returning starter provides less continuity. That being said, Johnson leaving was not really a surprise. His getting married and practice teaching had been discussed for some time.

Brandt's decision was a surprise but with Austin and Jacobson coming in plus potentially another shooter, his loss will not be too great!

When discussed with the other returning players, they weren't upset about it other than feeling to some degree that Brandt was abandoning them.

The way I look at it, if he wasn't sure if he wanted to be there or not, the Sioux are better without him. That might be part of the reason he had such a so-so year - his head wasn't into it!

Someone mentioned earlier that recruiting Brandt was a mistake by the coaching staff. While it hasn't worked out, we need to remember that a lot of schools recruited Brandt very hard out of HS. SU went after him big time as well as some DI schools. He had a very good frosh year but went downhill since then. It will be interesting to see if he gets his shooting touch back at Minot State.

The thing that I found so strange about Brandt's comments in the Herald article last week was that he seemed to almost be saying he was homesick, i.e. wanting to get back to his family and friends in Minot. The guy is finishing his fourth year of college! I would think that most of his Minot friends don't even live there anymore. It makes no sense.

UND 92,96

I really better not give out names. I am surprised that the press hasn't learned of it yet. I don't want to be the one "announcing" the commitment.

He is a raw, 6'8", 220-230 lb kid out of Trinidad. Apparently, he has lots of upside potential. As I said earlier, Rich would prefer to redshirt him.

Offering the point guard a scholarship is dependent on who else commits prior to signing day.

UND 92,96 

I really better not give out names.  I am surprised that the press hasn't learned of it yet.  I don't want to be the one "announcing" the commitment.

He is a raw, 6'8", 220-230 lb kid out of Trinidad.  Apparently, he has lots of upside potential.  As I said earlier, Rich would prefer to redshirt him.

Offering the point guard a scholarship is dependent on who else commits prior to signing day.

If he's from Trinidad, I'm going to throw out a wild guess that he played at Williston. They have had a number of Trinidad natives over the years and I believe two starters from this past year's team.

Ferguson's visit went well. He apparently understands that if his primary goal is getting a good business education, UND is the place to go. If he wants to play DI ball (although you could debate whether the next couple of years would really seem like DI), he will go to SU. He is unlikely to make a decision this week - may make a couple more visits. Sounds 50-50 at best that we will get him.

We have a commitment from a 6'4-5" JC player who plays the "3".

Missed out on a good kid who will likely end up at St. Cloud - closer to home and girlfriend!

Trying to convince a pretty talented forward from Wisconsin to walk on - another situation where he may not want to be so far away from home.

Beasley got back in GF this morning - I talked to him briefly. He is pretty excited - as he should be!!

UND92,96 Posted on Apr 15 2003, 08:01 AM

With regard to David Erbes, I realize he had a very nice career at NDSCS, but I have a hard time believing a 6'6" post player with fairly limited athletic ability is much to get excited about.

How does he compare to Ferguson or the "player to be named later" from Williston?

How does he compare to Ferguson or the "player to be named later" from Williston?

Erbes is a guy who has apparently gotten pretty much the maximum out of his ability, and that's admirable. But the Forum seems to be portraying him as a potential star, and I don't believe that's accurate nor fair to the kid. There have been a lot of North Dakota kids in the 6'5" to 6'6" range who have been very good interior players at the high school or even junior college or DAC-10 level, but I can't recall any who were or likely could have been much of a factor in the post at the NCC level or above. If Erbes is the exception, more power to him. But I personally would expect him to struggle guarding bigger and/or quicker players, not to mention consistently scoring inside at his size.

As far as Ferguson goes, I imagine most college coaches would feel that his upside is much higher because of his physical strength and leaping ability. As for the Williston kid, I know nothing about him, but I don't believe anyone is portraying him as a potential star. He's apparently 240 pounds so at least he could potentially be the physical interior player UND has lacked since Mustard.

Erbes is definitely a question mark. But he could also turn out to be another Ross Pankratz. He was a guy who had the same knock on him. Too slow, no athletic ability. He was a star for some very good Northern State teams, one of which went to the elite eight. And Ross was pretty much completely ignored by the North Dakota schools. Not saying Erbes will be that good, but I think nonetheless he will be a solid contributor.