SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU Bowl Bid Still Coming?

BobIwabuchiFan

I started the post because I thought it was funny how people in Fargo actually thought the NCAA was going to allow them to play in a bowl game regardless of their current level affiliation. I agree with the folks in Fargo that their football team this year was impressive and should they have won in SD they should have some recognition for their efforts. Lastly, thinking the NCAA would be flexible with its rules is about as possible as agreeing to wave the indian tribal exception in our nickname dealings.

BobIwabuchiFan

Of course it's an opinion. The facts are that the Sioux won 10 of the last 13 head-to-head meetings, including the last 3 in a row, but they have not played in each of the past four seasons. It's impossible to say for a fact who is better at the moment, but I would like our chances if we were to play them. Still... nowhere did I say anything about the Sioux marching to the I-AA championship year after year. For the record, I believe that once they become eligible in 2012 they'll be an annual playoff contender but I don't expect to see them advance to the championship game more than maybe once every 5 to 10 years. Now, I have to ask... are you a real Sioux fan or a Bison fan who follows Sioux hockey? Just wondering.

Oh, here we go...that 10 of last 13 head-to-head meetings is as old as Green Bay referring to itself as "Titletown" despite winning exactly one Super Bowl since the days of the Frozen Tundra of Lambeau Field! Maybe you should go back 25 years or so into the 1980's and 1990's when UND was thoroughly dominated by NDSU. Or should we back it up further and go to the 1950's and 1960's when UND won 12 straight head-to-head meetings?

I'm no Bison fan at all, but facts are facts. I'm probably not the only person who predicted that UND would immediately try to jump to D1-AA once the Bison did. Despite all the talk of "no interest" in moving up, you would have to be a complete dolt to think that UND was not seething at watching NDSU gain more notoriety in women's basketball, men's basketball, and football. Stunningly enough (note the sarcasm), UND is going D1. Next year the Bison can compete for titles...while UND lags behind for five years of waiting. I'm excited to see the head-to-head matchups resume and it will be interesting to see who comes out ahead.

Advancing to the national championship game once every 5 to 10 years when the Sioux have advanced to how many DII national championship games in the past 10 years? 20 years? 40 years? I think you're a bit optimistic.

I don't know of many Bison fans with Sioux tattoos. :D

If you don't know of many Bison fans with Sioux tattoos, then please rationalize for me why you're coming across like some sort of Bison apologist and making condescending remarks about the UND football program. What's your agenda here? I'm having a very difficult time understanding your motivation.

PS - Based on two D2 championship game appearances in the past 10 years, I think once every 5 to 10 years in I-AA is a very realistic goal. Unless, of course, Grand Valley were to go I-AA and block our path to the title game. After all, they're quite possibly better than anybody currently in I-AA. :D

My dad and both of my sisters spent time at NDSU and I do have respect for their sports programs. Bison fan or not, when I'm watching and hearing my former home state mentioned on ESPN for defeating the Badgers in men's basketball and beating the Gophers in football, I feel proud to say that I was born and raised in North Dakota.

I'd hardly say my comments were "condescending" about UND football. I think they were more complimentary towards NDSU, but that doesn't mean I'm a Bison football fan in Sioux hockey gear.

Okay, so you respect NDSU and don't feel any animosity towards them. As much as I disagree with that, I have to say I understand and accept it. Now, if I could just get people to understand and accept that I feel the same way about the Gophers... :D

This is not meant to slam the Sioux but more of a DaveK slam....

Every athletic program goes through its ups and downs. The logic behind the Sioux winning (or even going to) the FCS national championship game every 5-10 years based upon only the last 10 years is very flawed.

As stated above, the past has shown that both NDSU and UND have had periods of dominance. That being said, since neither NDSU or UND has on average won a championship every 5-10 years that they have been in existence. I doubt that anything will change to make it MORE likely that something like that could happen.

As a matter of fact, NO NCAA team has EVER averaged a national championship every 5-10 years.

box.

I started the post because I thought it was funny how people in Fargo actually thought the NCAA was going to allow them to play in a bowl game regardless of their current level affiliation. I agree with the folks in Fargo that their football team this year was impressive and should they have won in SD they should have some recognition for their efforts. Lastly, thinking the NCAA would be flexible with its rules is about as possible as agreeing to wave the indian tribal exception in our nickname dealings.

BobIwabuchiFan

I remember iwabuchi as a 29 yr. old freshman goalie from moosjaw saskatchewan, right?

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
After losing to the Jacks, whats the odds that a big bowl will come courting NDSU - I am assuming everyone in Fargo is waiting for the post man after Thanksgiving? Sounds like a Michigan-NDSU or maybe a USC-NDSU matchup? :)

I had originally posted this elsewhere but this is probably a better place for it...

BOWL ELIGIBLE? Though unlikely, Griz could get bowl bid while still in FCS - Missoulian

The Montana Grizzlies, bowl-bound. If you think it's impossible, chew on this: Last fall a lower-tier bowl called the Big Sky Conference to inquire about inviting one of its teams.

We are not making this up.

Let's not tease the NDSU fans that get on this board. Frankly if NDSU (or any other D1AA team) did get a bowl bid, good for them.

I did not intend to taunt the Bison. I only wanted to point out that it may be possible for a FCS team to play in a FBS bowl as indicated by the article.