SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Goalies

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Looking at who we have for goalies and who is coming in the next few years I wonder what Blais is going to do next year as far as goalies. We also have Layne Sedevie GAA 2.620 SV% .896 who has commited for this next year but I have not heard any news on his neck injury so i don't know if he is coming. Nate Ziegelmann GAA 2.583 SV% .908 is supposedly coming from the USHL too for this season. In 2 years Phillip Lamoureux GAA 2.165 SV% .917 is supposed to come. So what is Blais going to do? I have listed our goalies and their grade level for NEXT YEAR and their stats.

Jake Brandt -Junior GAA 2.40 SV% .895

Marc Ranfranz-Senior GAA 2.35 SV% .893

Josh Siembida-Junior GAA 3.16 SV% .853

Ryan Sofie-Junior GAA none SV% 1.000

I think Jake should stay, bring in Ziegelmann and Sedevie and let Siembida and Ranfranz fight for the 4th spot. But if Sedevie doesn't come I see Jake, Marc and Josh staying. Either way I see Blais getting rid of Sofie. It would be nice to let him stay but he just doesn't have the talent. What do you think?

Does anyone know whether this Phillip Lamoureaux is Roger's kid?  '73-'77.  48-85-133.  A stud center and winger from Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

I asked that a while back because I knew Roger at school. Not so, however, he is the son of Jean Pierre Lamoureaux, a backup goaltender (on two championship teams), 1979-1982. Backup to Iwabucci, Jensen??, Casey?? (80) and Jensen, Casey (82).

Thanks for the read on the Lamoureaux family tree Sprig.

The old man played in 30 2/3 games, had a GAA of 3.40, and a SV % of .897.

Let's hope the kid has had better training, more ice time, and better coaching than his Pa. Not knocking the Pa, just that if kids climb greater heights than their parents, which we all wish as parents, maybe Phillip will join his Pa as an NDU letter winner.

Roger a nice guy? He was sure fun to watch.

Would be nice to see a Roger junior in green. And yes, he really was a good guy. Didn't have to worry about him wanting to start a fight in the hallways during a dorm party like some of the scholarship athletes (although I'd guess that was more a football player thing-Joppru). These guys didn't play on a very good team in the final Bjorkman years, but several were good players nonetheless.

I was a student near the end of Bjorkman's tenure. In 73-74 he more or less cleaned house on the team, cutting loose almost all the upper classmen and bringing in a freshman class of about a dozen new players. There were several quality players on those teams, but it was brutal to be a fan in the stands for the next three years.

I believe the Sioux this year won more games than the 73-74, 74-75 and 75-76 teams won combined.

The recruits came from all over the place: Minnesota (Edina, Detroit Lakes, TRF, etc.), Illinois, even a walk-on goalie from Nashville, TN. One of the kids who came was sort of talked up like Zach was this pre-season: Terry Dennis had scored, like 100 goals in a western junior league, and was supposed to light up the WCHA.

Sadly, for some reason, the teams never clicked. Most of the highlights from a fan's standpoint had to do with Alan Hangsleben or Scott Marvin beating the bejeepers out of someone. Marvin and a kid from St. Louis U. (I think) actually dropped their gloves in pre-game warm-ups.

That was back in the days when a live chicken often found its way onto the ice during a time-out. It was also a time, if memory serves me, that one could drink an entire bottle of Mateus between Walsh Hall and the old Ralph. Not that I speak from any first-hand experience, mind you, but it seems to me that was the case ;>)

I don't remember where everyone ended up, but Brad Becker went on to play for a few years in the Washington Caps and NY Rangers system. Hangsleben had a long, workman sort of career in the Hartford, first in the WHA, then in the NHL when the two leagues merged. It seems to me that Roger Lamoureux played in the NHL, too, but where I can't remember.

Becker's sons have developed into something of stars skating for Moorhead high. His oldest signed to play for Air Force.

Whenever I start to think that the Sioux aren't playing too well (not often of late!) I think back to the "golden years" and realize just how fortunate the fans of today are to see such skilled players and quality young men.

I really think we had some very good players back then, Rube just didn't know how to put everything together as a team. While Rube was a very nice guy, he just wasn't a very good college coach. A change should have been made a 3 or 4 years sooner. Rube messed up the Neil Broten deal also. Rube coached at Roseau before he came to UND. He thought he could get Neil for a few "table scraps" instead of offering a scholarship. I believe Minnesota got him for about a 1/2 scholarship. If Rube would have offered him anything, he would have ended up being a Sioux. If that would have happened, then Butsy Erickson and Aaron and Paul Broten would have also ended up at UND.

As I recall, Neal Broten was hotly recruited between both North Dakota and Minnesota. Full rides each place. The guy was only about the best hockey player to come out of Minnesota high school ranks in the last 30 years.

Neal looked to the Big City lights. Saw two recent titles. Saw what was then, arguably, a bigger tradition. Wanted to cut the apron strings and head south to be a Gopher, as most all kids wanted to do back then.

What did Rube have to offer? Not much, other than the opportunity to have the pressure to be a savior of a flagging program, versus the opportunity to be an integral component of an already successful program in Minneapolis.

Neal chose Minnesota. I was so bummed, I transferred to the UM just to watch him play. 1978 and 1979 were great years to watch the Gophers, and all of the WCHA.

Marvin and a kid from St. Louis U. (I think) actually dropped their gloves in pre-game warm-ups.

I don't remember where everyone ended up, but Brad Becker went on to play for a few years in the Washington Caps and NY Rangers system. Hangsleben had a long, workman sort of career in the Hartford, first in the WHA, then in the NHL when the two leagues merged. It seems to me that Roger Lamoureux played in the NHL, too, but where I can't remember.

Actually, it was Marvin and Billy Baker from Minnesota. Billy took quite a pounding. He was going to be a dentist so I think Crunch (Marvin) decided to help him out by loosening up a few of Bakers teeth. I'm not sure Baker even landed a punch. It was a pretty lopsided fight, even more-so than when Commodore realigned Brooks' face from Wisconsin. Crunch is living up in Warroad.

Roger never played in the NHL. He spent quite a few years in Austria as a player and then as a player/coach. He's involved in a couple of businesses (landscaping and a manufacturing company) in Calgary.

As you mentioned, Brad Becker has been at Moorhead for quite a while. Brad married his high school coaches (Willard Ikola) daughter from Edina, and they have a couple of sons who are good players for Moorhead.

Al Hangsleben is another good friend. One time he sent me a airline ticket and brought me out to Hartford for the playoffs. He played in the WHA for the Whalers, but most of his NHL time was with the Washington Capitals. He played with Gordie and Mark Howe. When they would come to play in the Cities, we would usually end up at Eddie Websters Peanut Bar in Bloomington after the games. Gordie Howe was 50 years old at the time but was built like a 29 year old.

As I recall, Neal Broten was hotly recruited between both North Dakota and Minnesota. Full rides each place. The guy was only about the best hockey player to come out of Minnesota high school ranks in the last 30 years.

Neal looked to the Big City lights. Saw two recent titles. Saw what was then, arguably, a bigger tradition. Wanted to cut the apron strings and head south to be a Gopher, as most all kids wanted to do back then.

What did Rube have to offer? Not much, other than the opportunity to have the pressure to be a savior of a flagging program, versus the opportunity to be an integral component of an already successful program in Minneapolis.

Neal chose Minnesota. I was so bummed, I transferred to the UM just to watch him play. 1978 and 1979 were great years to watch the Gophers, and all of the WCHA.

You could be right, but I was told by one of the four mentioned players that Rube didn't offer Neal much for a scholarship. He said that if Neal had gone to UND, then the rest of us (Paul, Aaron, Butsy) would have most likely ended up there also.

It would have been fun watching Kevin Maxwell and Neal Broten together. UND would have had one more National Championship and Minnesota would have had one less.