SiouxSports.com Forum

Junior Hockey Super Series at Ralph?

star2city

Toronto Globe&Mail: Super Series' success could spur faceoff with U.S.

Despite Canada's domination of the junior hockey Super Series, the tournament was a success at the gate and on television.

The event worked so well that Hockey Canada wants to do it again, or at least is looking into reprising the tournament next summer, with Canada playing the United States.

The four games in Russia were played to packed houses. The arenas in Winnipeg and Saskatoon were almost full. Red Deer, Alta., and Vancouver were sold out.

On TV (TSN and Rogers Sportsnet), the morning telecasts from Russia drew 170,000 viewers a game. The average for the four prime-time games in Canada was 385,000.

A tournament next year could be shortened to six games, with perhaps the start pushed up to avoid a conflict with programming such as NFL telecasts and the U.S. Open.

But would USA Hockey be able to find three U.S. markets that would fill an arena for hockey during the summer? The answer seems to be yes. The strategy would be to use venues close enough to the border to attract Canadian fans.

The U.S. leg, for example, could start at the Joe Louis Arena in Detroit. From there, it could move to the Xcel Energy Centre in St. Paul and finish at Grand Forks, N.D., before going to Winnipeg, Saskatoon and Vancouver.

Was it a bubble hockey game out in the concourse. :D???

sure was, i wooped siouxnamis azz 7-3 for a 32 oz beer as he wanted to be the gophers in the game and still lost ;)

i have to figure out how to get one of those out the ralph without anyone seeing me then the next step would be to get it on the plane back to az ;)

didnt know you enjoyed agassi vs roddick so much in tennis :D

Agassi vs roddick was the best non-sioux event in the Ralph. Just seeing the arena turned into a tennis stadium was hard to believe. I know not many people are avid tennis fans, but for those who are that was an opportunity that this area would never have gotten without the Ralph. The closest thing to pro tennis this area could get(not counting the occasional womens exhibitions in mpls/st.paul) would be when the US Open Series makes stops in Cinci, and thats not even close.

Plus it even added a little Sioux-Gopher rivalry game between the Jensen brothers and some U of M tennis players.

DSCF0325.jpg

And also you can say that not only do the Sioux own the gophers in the Ralph in hockey, but also in tennis. ;)