SiouxSports.com Forum

SiouxSports.com Scholarship?

SiouxMD

Recently, I saw something either online or in print (UND Alumni Review?) that talked about innovative ways to fund scholarships as we transition to DI. The article talked about an individual or a group being able to fund a scholarship for a particular sport or even a particular position (for example left tackle). The cost was $15,000 per year for 5 years (transitional period).

Who would be willing to commit to a SiouxSports.com Scholarship?

30 SiouxSports.com members = $500/yr

50 SiouxSports.com members = $300/yr

100 SiouxSports.com members = $150/yr

250 SiouxSports.com members = $60/yr

First...we would need permission from jimdahl to use the SiouxSports.com name. Second...we would need to pick a sport and possibly a specific position to fund. Third...we would need real commitments from forum members.

Comments? Suggestions?

GO SIOUX

Recently, I saw something either online or in print (UND Alumni Review?) that talked about innovative ways to fund scholarships as we transition to DI. The article talked about an individual or a group being able to fund a scholarship for a particular sport or even a particular position (for example left tackle). The cost was $15,000 per year for 5 years (transitional period).

First...we would need permission from jimdahl to use the SiouxSports.com name. Second...we would need to pick a sport and possibly a specific position to fund. Third...we would need real commitments from forum members.

Comments? Suggestions?

GO SIOUX

Great idea, Doc! I'm down for anyone of your suggestions, pending Jim's approval. One suggestion (only a suggestion), given our strong feelings regarding our Sioux name and logo, etc. how about we further specify our scholarship go to a Native American athlete, a Sioux first, if a Sioux does not qualify then any other NA secondand if a NA athlete does not qualitly then to any other minority athlete who qualifies. We'll have to specify how one qualifies. Just my $0.02 worth.

Great idea, Doc! I'm down for anyone of your suggestions, pending Jim's approval. One suggestion (only a suggestion), given our strong feelings regarding our Sioux name and logo, etc. how about we further specify our scholarship go to a Native American athlete, a Sioux first, if a Sioux does not qualify then any other NA secondand if a NA athlete does not qualitly then to any other minority athlete who qualifies. We'll have to specify how one qualifies. Just my $0.02 worth.

While a good idea in theory, It's my own personal opinion that a scholarship should be based on the applicant's achievements and how those achievements relate to the scholarship criteria. (which would be set up by a board of contributors of some sort, I'm guessing) Native American athlete, minority athlete, North Dakota athlete, white Iowa farm kid athlete, male or female, it's always safer to just go with the numbers when awarding someone's achievements.

Again, just throwing another point of view out for discussion.

I just pulled out the calculator. If a person is paid every two weeks, the cost to them for a $500/yr contribution would be $20. per paycheck. If an account were set up for the scholarship, a person could set up an automatic withdrawal from their account to the scholarship account and not feel the 'lose' writing a $500. check may produce.

Yeah, I agree with you in part, airmail. I was just putting forth an idea based on what I'm seeing on the Navajo rez. There are, I believe, three or four colleges/universities that offer free tuition to Navajos. The problem is housing, transportation, food, etc. that the kids' families can't afford. There is a very talented young artist here who just graduated from high school whose drawings blow me away!! She was all set to move to Phoenix and go to school but the housing, etc. costs were much more than her family can afford (even after her loans). She's going to work 'just for a year' and then go to school. I have to wonder if she's going to get off the rez. I know I had that same problem as 99% of college students also have today and those of us that 'really want it' can make it. It's just that I see first hand how hard it is for these Navajo children to leave. Their way of living is so much more traditional than I ever imagined!! If the transition could be made easier perhaps their futures would be brighter. If I didn't travel for work, living in one area for a few months then moving to another, I would offer her room and board in my home but I travel for work......

I guess this is just a 'put your money where your mouth is' suggestion in response to our stated beliefs in the name and logo threads. I'll go along with the majority.

I suggest the Diggler Scholarship. The scholarship will go to a former student athlete who exhausted their athletic eligibility at least three years ago but is still attending UND.

The Diggler Schloraship, mmmm. So, you're putting up the entire 15 grand yourself?!? Atta boy, Dirty!!!

I suggest the Diggler Scholarship. The scholarship will go to a former student athlete who exhausted their athletic eligibility at least three years ago but is still attending UND.

Are there any limitations on GPA? I mean as in "cannot exceed" type limitations. :sad:

Comments? Suggestions?

GO SIOUX

I think this is a great idea! If we can get this going, count me in. There are hundreds of true-blue UND fans on this board. It would be great to take an active role in helping our Athletic Department at this very important time.

I would recommend that we "keep it simple" and not make it specific to a sport. There may be too many strong feelings about which sport should be selected (or not selected). The FSC will gladly accept non-sport specific scholarship donations.

You may want to post this on the hockey forum as I think many of the big hockey fans may not actively read the other forums.