SiouxSports.com Forum

Strong Defense

denbo1

It seems like we have a strong defense, but not scoring alot of goals. I don't see us getting the puck out of our zone and up the ice. Is this a problem with the forwards or is it a defensive problem. WAIT I THINK I KNOW WHO IS AT FAULT!!! IT'S THE GOALIE :)

Get the puck out of our zone and up the ice.

As I see it, one major problem with scoring recently has been the transition through the neutral zone. Denver and Duluth both did good jobs of clogging the neutral zone against the Sioux, breaking up odd-man rushes and preventing the forwards from entering the opposition's zone with speed.

Also, in the last four games, the Sioux are 2-19 on the power play. The trend of being outplayed and outscored in the third period will also have to end if the Sioux are going to have a shot at the Frozen Four.

This year's team doesn't generate offense with the transition game like past Blais teams. They seem to get too cute when bringing the puck across the blue line and turn it over, and when they dump the puck in it's usually right to the defense (or not all the way deep) and on it's way out before they can get get in there and start cycling.

Also, when was the last time we had a good, clean breakaway?

I would agree with those who think the team is "too cute" with the puck. Cycling the puck is an integral part of the game. Dicking around with it because you don't know what to with it is not. This team needs to take shots, good shots, bad shots, whatever, and then get after the puck and work for the rebounds and other "lucky" shots that seem to have eluded it recently. Blais teams have tended to be opportunistic in the past, and this team should follow suit. :lol: