SiouxSports.com Forum

Matt Cullen

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah

So I made a trip to Fargo yesterday to welcome home one of my friends back from New Orleans. We were going through the Forum and saw an ad about "Matt Cullen bobblehead night/Hockey Night" at the Redhawks game, and we thought "Awesome, let's get a bobblehead and an autograph!" We got there a half hour early to stand in line (yeah I know, at a Redhawks game, I thought it was weird too lol) so that we could get a bobblehead. First person I see when I walk in is some dude in a SIOUX jersey, and since it was Hockey night there were lots of hockey jerseys, it was fun!!

Matt and his wife walked out onto the field before the game, announcing something about Cully's Kids foundation or something like that, and then him and some guy shot a baseball at a hockey net from the pitchers mound to home base. He missed, by the way lol. And then he went up by the concessions and signed autographs for about a half hour during the start of the game.

He is such a friendly guy! Since he's from Moorhead, he had a lot of people who actually knew him come up to talk to him while he was signing autographs, and my friend (who is a GUY that is obsessed with him) took a picture with him and we both got our bobbleheads signed. We decided that we would try to go back to talk to him later because I wanted to ask him what it was like playing with Commie. But when we went back to talk to him, he had already gone off to somewhere else. But he was really friendly with everyone, truly a great guy!

About the game... They played the Zamboni song while some chick sang it, every time the Redhawks scored they had a hockey horn go off (which got really annoying, when we left the Redhawks were winning 11-2), and they were really trying to have a hockey night. It was a lot of fun!

I love how you dismiss his work with kids who have cancer. :D

Well I forgot what it was for, my bad :lol:

I was busy listening to my friend talk about all the Cullen stuff he has, and how many autographs he has, and blah blah blah (I eventually stopped paying attention to him too)

Another thing... I was tired when I wrote that, so I was just kinda rambling lol! Does this still make me look like a stalker?? lol

Awesome that you got to see him! Did he say anything about the fact that he is back with the Hurricanes now? Gah I am SOOOOOOOO happy!

Well when I went back to actually talk to him, he had already gone off somewhere else. But while we were standing by him watching him sign autographs, people were coming up to him and talking about it. And yes, it sounds like he's pretty excited! I'm excited too! :lol:

I love how you dismiss his work with kids who have cancer. :lol:

The Cullen Children's Foundation is a really neat deal. It raises money for children's healthcare needs with an emphasis on cancer. It raises quite a bit more money for cancer than the Roger Maris Celebrity golf outing ever has. Matt and his wife Bridget are very down to earth and very good people. Matt and his father Terry dedicate a lot of time and energy to this foundation. There are a number of celebrities that support the foundation, including many professional hockey players. Among those hockey players are a number of ex-Sioux players like Jason Blake, Mike Commodore, Zach Parise, Dave Christian, Brian Lee, Chris Vandevelde and coach Dave Hakstol. If you want to contribute to a good cause, visit www.cullyskids.com or call Terry Cullen. The golf outing is this weekend.

The Cullen Children's Foundation is a really neat deal. It raises money for children's healthcare needs with an emphasis on cancer. It raises quite a bit more money for cancer than the Roger Maris Celebrity golf outing ever has. Matt and his wife Bridget are very down to earth and very good people. Matt and his father Terry dedicate a lot of time and energy to this foundation. There are a number of celebrities that support the foundation, including many professional hockey players. Among those hockey players are a number of ex-Sioux players like Jason Blake, Mike Commodore, Zach Parise, Dave Christian, Brian Lee, Chris Vandevelde and coach Dave Hakstol. If you want to contribute to a good cause, visit www.cullyskids.com or call Terry Cullen. The golf outing is this weekend.

Is that a put down on the Maris Tournament? It's really apples and oranges - I'm sure the Cullen Children's Foundation raises money year around and the Maris outing is a one time a year deal.

The weekend starts with a golf tourney on Friday afternoon at the Moorhead CC. They have a silent auction and a band Friday night (a couple of years ago they had the Zamboni's). On Saturday afternoon there is a poker tournament - all of the buy in money goes to the players, it is actually a very good format. I believe the poker is at the West Fargo VFW.

I have attended various parts of this in past years and have had a lot of fun. Typically there are the local NHL/college players, and some of Matt's teammates. I see he was just traded back to Carolina yesterday.

Some of the events are spendy - $250 for golf, $200 for poker, and I think $50 for the concert, but the silent auction is free to attend. They typically have some pretty good hockey items in the auction.

Is that a put down on the Maris Tournament? It's really apples and oranges - I'm sure the Cullen Children's Foundation raises money year around and the Maris outing is a one time a year deal.

Not at all. My only point was to show that this is a very good foundation that raises a lot of money for cancer, even more than the Roger Maris tournament which is a great event. Relax--I know you're itching to pick a fight since your world is defined by the Bison and Fargo, but this is only about touting what a good person Matt Cullen is and how good The Cullen Children's Foundation is.

So I made a trip to Fargo yesterday to welcome home one of my friends back from New Orleans. We were going through the Forum and saw an ad about "Matt Cullen bobblehead night/Hockey Night" at the Redhawks game, and we thought "Awesome, let's get a bobblehead and an autograph!" We got there a half hour early to stand in line (yeah I know, at a Redhawks game, I thought it was weird too lol) so that we could get a bobblehead. First person I see when I walk in is some dude in a SIOUX jersey, and since it was Hockey night there were lots of hockey jerseys, it was fun!!

Matt and his wife walked out onto the field before the game, announcing something about Cully's Kids foundation or something like that, and then him and some guy shot a baseball at a hockey net from the pitchers mound to home base. He missed, by the way lol. And then he went up by the concessions and signed autographs for about a half hour during the start of the game.

He is such a friendly guy! Since he's from Moorhead, he had a lot of people who actually knew him come up to talk to him while he was signing autographs, and my friend (who is a GUY that is obsessed with him) took a picture with him and we both got our bobbleheads signed. We decided that we would try to go back to talk to him later because I wanted to ask him what it was like playing with Commie. But when we went back to talk to him, he had already gone off to somewhere else. But he was really friendly with everyone, truly a great guy!

About the game... They played the Zamboni song while some chick sang it, every time the Redhawks scored they had a hockey horn go off (which got really annoying, when we left the Redhawks were winning 11-2), and they were really trying to have a hockey night. It was a lot of fun!

You won't find a more grounded kid than Matt Cullen. When he brought the Stanley Cup back to Moorhead last year, he brought it to the Youth Hockey Arena and took a picture with every youth hockey member that showed up, and he signed numberous autographs throughout the weekend to make sure everyone got one. Even though Blake attends a lot of his functions, they're two completely different people in terms of attitude and personality.

You won't find a more grounded kid than Matt Cullen. When he brought the Stanley Cup back to Moorhead last year, he brought it to the Youth Hockey Arena and took a picture with every youth hockey member that showed up, and he signed numberous autographs throughout the weekend to make sure everyone got one. Even though Blake attends a lot of his functions, they're two completely different people in terms of attitude and personality.

Lets not go overboard, remember he did attend St. Cloud State. Other than that one huge lapse in judgment, I agree he is a very well grounded "kid". :lol: