SiouxSports.com Forum

Guess who's looking at IA Football: Jacksonville St

star2city

Therefore, Denver is spending all the money required to be DI just so that their lacrosse team can be DI rather than DIII.

Which is a complete waste of money considering they'll never be a national contender in DI lacrosse.

So if being a contender for a national title is the criteria, be careful, some may apply it to your favorite school.

Why should DU jump through these hoops?

http://www.uscho.com/news/college-hockey/i...yUpSchools.html

Being DI is the easy answer for DU.

Let's cut to the chase here: Why the sudden fetish for DU Athletics? Is it that the Sun Belt is looking to cast them off? Is it that they get "face time" on FSN - Rocky Mountain? Is it that as a non-FB school they'd be a nice add to a conference (Denver market) to make an even number of BB but odd number of FB programs in a western conference (like the Big Sky)?

I never thought I'd be here justifying DU as a DI (especially after this weekend) but why the sudden "expertise" in DU Athletics and where they should be going?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you recall it all started with speculating where Texas State would go when they move to FBS. 14 members seems big for the Sun Belt. But I think the SB would rather have TSU than Denver.

I was merely pointing out that DU could drop down to DIII and maintain a nationally competitive DI hockey team like CC does. That assumes they would qualify for the play up scholarship exemption that you linked to.

It's always about money. I just don't see how all the travel they do for the Sun Belt is worth being DI.

Their image sport, hockey, is always going to be DI, regardless where the rest of the AD is.

If you recall it all started with speculating where Texas State would go when they move to FBS. 14 members seems big for the Sun Belt. But I think the SB would rather have TSU than Denver.

I was merely pointing out that DU could drop down to DIII and maintain a nationally competitive DI hockey team like CC does. That assumes they would qualify for the play up scholarship exemption that you linked to.

It's always about money. I just don't see how all the travel they do for the Sun Belt is worth being DI.

Their image sport, hockey, is always going to be DI, regardless where the rest of the AD is.

Ladies and Gentleman, the next AD at Denver University, MplsBison. In his interview for the job he showed us the error of our ways in being a DI school. We will now move to DIII in everything and will only scholarship hockey. The rest of our student body that compete athletically for us will have to find their own $27,000 tuition, room and board. I expect to see our enrollment drop by roughly 40% in the next couple years. Thank you for your time!!

The largest private university in the nation is DIII.

By which measure?

Endowment? Harvard, a DI (an FCS school).

Enrollment? NYU, sure, a DIII. But Stanford is smaller than UND or NDSU. Should they go DIII also? How about Duke?

I thought according to some DI is all about the prestige and glory of the higher level of DI athletics. If privately funded DU wants to spend private dollars on athletics to chase that prestige and glory, in a word, so?

Obviously enrollment, since he made a comment about enrollment.

Stanford needs to be DI because they play DI football.

DU can do whatever DU wants to do.

They might find themselves out of the Sun Belt, though, and without a conference (unless they want to stoop down to the Big Sky).

• 11 months later...

Jacksonville State Stadium Expansion Begins - Serious about IA

Stadium_2-2-08_2.jpg

Jacksonville State building a >15,000 seat stadium to move to IA would be comparable to Moorhead St doing the same.

Stadium seating will be increased by 8,258, bringing the capacity to 23,258. Across the top of that side of the stadium will be three floors that will include 33 luxury skyboxes, a new press area, booths for both home and visiting coaches, radio and television broadcast facilities and a game management booth.

“We feel like the addition of the new dorm is a much-needed facility on our campus that will benefit the entire university,” said Jaynes, explaining the four bottom floors will have nearly 400 beds. “The luxury boxes will also allow us the opportunity to generate additional revenue that can be shared among all 16 of our athletic teams.”

They're about the same as Troy.

If they have the fan support, I don't see why not.

Don't necessarily disagree, as Jacksonville St and Troy have about the same number of undergrads at their main campus. The difference is Troy has two other regional campuses (Montgomery and Dothan) and internet students that nearly triple their enrollment realtive to Jax St.

Still, Troy had a difficult time getting into the Sunbelt (La Tech leaving for the WAC helped) as no one believed they'd have any success and their academic rep was scorned. Now, Troy is sometimes considered a CUSA candidate.