SiouxSports.com Forum

Lines for next year

SIOUXELEVENS

Lines for next year, .... hmmmm, .... let's see, .... how about, .....

"I'm Ryan Duncan. Wanna see my 'Hobey'?"

More seriously, I'd like to see how some off-season medical issues work out and what some of the new guys bring before scratching down four lines, three pairs, .... and Phillippe (3 out of 4 nights). ;)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trying to look at this without my Kelly Green shaded glasses, but top to bottom, I don't know the last time we were more loaded going into a season. It might be 1987. I think we won a couple of championships with teams that had less overall talent. Usually going from Sophomore to Junior leads to a huge jump in production, and if that happens, watch out...

And I am agreeing with you. I remember being quite surprised when Hrkac came back to UND after playing with Team Canada. Just as I was surprised when Oshie (and Chorney and Finley, and maybe even Duncan) decided to come back. This is a once-in-a-generation talent pool. Guys who were penciled in as second line in April are now fighting for a regular shift. That is depth no one else in the nation (except maybe the Goph's at forward) have. I normally don't get so excited about teams; you can check my history.

And I am agreeing with you. I remember being quite surprised when Hrkac came back to UND after playing with Team Canada. Just as I was surprised when Oshie (and Chorney and Finley, and maybe even Duncan) decided to come back. This is a once-in-a-generation talent pool. Guys who were penciled in as second line in April are now fighting for a regular shift. That is depth no one else in the nation (except maybe the Goph's at forward) have. I normally don't get so excited about teams; you can check my history.

I would rather have Oshie/Duncan vs Wheeler/Okposo.

However, I would take the Gopher freshman F in a heartbeat.

I am trying to look at this without my Kelly Green shaded glasses, but top to bottom, I don't know the last time we were more loaded going into a season. It might be 1987. I think we won a couple of championships with teams that had less overall talent. Usually going from Sophomore to Junior leads to a huge jump in production, and if that happens, watch out...

If I remember right we were happy to have Hrkac's come back but he was a bit of an unknown. Two years previously he had shown some genius (6 assists in a game) but also had some issues. Gino had suspended him for a number of games for reasons that to my knowledge has never been officially released. (Rumors abounded). Then he up and left the team for the Canadian National Team.

Coming back we didn't know he was going to show up so good!

Nobody had heard of our Goalie that year. Eddie who?

We knew Kidd was a great defenseman but 86-87 was a breakout year for Joyce.

Talking about Hrkac that year reminds me of one of the best plays I've seen. We were playing Minnesota at home and killing a penalty. Hrkac tipped a pass between the defensemen into the neutral zone, skated up and scored an easy shortie. I wish I had video on that. For him everything just looked in slow motion but nobody ever caught him.