SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux vs. Michigan

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well after extensive scouting and evaluation of both the University Of North Dakota team and the University of Minnesota team I have come to the conclusion that the following are the three keys of the game for the Sioux vs the Goooofs tomorrow.

1. Wear the Black jerseys (haven't lost when wearing them)

2. Score 4 or more goals in the game (haven't lost when scoring 4 or more)

3. A player from the 3rd or 4th line needs to score (haven't lost when a 3rd or 4th line player has scored)

???

As an aside, the defense might want to come and hit some people, Phil should show up and the Sioux may want to stay out of the penalty box (as they did very well at that tonight and it payed off big time)

Receiving a 10 min disqualification in an CN$$ game is the kiss of death for winning the Hobey. Especially if your team loses. The NC$$ loves winners from the East. If you don't qualify, too bad.

I won't be surprised if Hensick wins it yet. Yes, from the games I've watched, he is a selfish player. It's one thing to not have a good night, but when your game is being televised nationally, and you go off for because of your "potty mouth," it doesn't bode well for claiming that he fits the mold of Hobey Baker. Taking a few minor penalties because you're trying to create things for your team isn't that bad, but swearing at other players or refs is poor sportsmanship. I know it happens a lot more than it ever being called, but it still shows poor character.

It's one thing to not have a good night, but when your game is being televised nationally, and you go off for because of your "potty mouth," it doesn't bode well for claiming that he fits the mold of Hobey Baker. Taking a few minor penalties because you're trying to create things for your team isn't that bad, but swearing at other players or refs is poor sportsmanship. I know it happens a lot more than it ever being called, but it still shows poor character.

I agree with you but have to admit that ten minutes for swearing surprises me.

I agree with you but have to admit that ten minutes for swearing surprises me.

If it was swearing at other players, it would surprise me, but if he was dumb and said something to the ref, I could see it happening. The other key thing to remember is that you're playing in the national tournament. You're not playing with the refs you see 3 or 4 weekends a year. Expect the unexpected. It was a dumb move by someone who should've known better.

Just got home from watching the game, boy did I want to turn it off after the 1st period. But I do believe that Phil has now settled in, it shouldn't have taken 21 minutes though. Otherwise, offense and PP looked great, but D on back struggled early. Also great job staying out of the box!!!

Does anyone know specifically what Hensick said or did?

We were all trying to figure out what the 10 min. misconduct was called for. Swearing? It must have been pretty bad to get a 10 min. But I agree that is not going to bode well with the Hobey Judges.

We don't know if it was swearing or something else he said. We're all assuming it had to be something verbal, as it didn't result in a Sioux PP.

Ok, I haven't read through the thread yet, but just some game observations.

1. My voice already hurts, and my blood pressure was sky high the first 30 minutes or so of the game. Love to see the scoring, hate to see the defensive collapse!

2. Kudos to AirForce for doing what they had to do to stay in the game. They looked scared to break out of their offensive zone, like they were overcompensating to prevent a Gopher odd man rush. But they played the body all 60 minutes despite being 1/2 the size of the Gopher players, and they blocked a LOT of shots. I almost thought they were going to pull off the upset! Classy fans, classy team. The Air Force players even stayed to watch the Sioux/Wolverines game.

3. The Gophers look huge. Maybe they just looked big next to AF players, but damn. Blake Wheeler looked like a giant camped in front of the net. AF couldn't budge Gopher players out of the crease to save their life.

4. Where is our defense?! I long for the days of Smaby, Greene, Hale, Schneider....the list goes on. If we make mistakes like that against the Gophers tomorrow, may as well start shining the golf clubs tonight. The Gophers will not let us get away with the sloppy D that we got away with tonight (Lammy, are you kidding me with that giveaway?!).

5. On the other hand, I don't remember our powerplay ever looking this good! Kudos to whichever coach has been honing that machine! With Bochenski and Parise on a unit a few years ago our PP was horrific. 5/8 powerplay goals tonight....that is the key to tomorrow's game. Don't take stupid penalties and capitilize on the PP.

6. Lammy Lammy Lammy...you continue to make amazing saves,yet let in the softies. Thank goodness all lines were rolling tonight. How about Porter's line?! I was hoping he would get a hat trick.

7. Pretty good crowd for a neutral arena. I didn't hear an attendance announcement, but I'd say at least 10,000 fans there. Pretty even mix.

8. Bring on the Gophers!! GO SIOUX!!

Ok, I haven't read through the thread yet, but just some game observations.

1. My voice already hurts, and my blood pressure was sky high the first 30 minutes or so of the game. Love to see the scoring, hate to see the defensive collapse!

2. Kudos to AirForce for doing what they had to do to stay in the game. They looked scared to break out of their offensive zone, like they were overcompensating to prevent a Gopher odd man rush. But they played the body all 60 minutes despite being 1/2 the size of the Gopher players, and they blocked a LOT of shots. I almost thought they were going to pull off the upset! Classy fans, classy team. The Air Force players even stayed to watch the Sioux/Wolverines game.

3. The Gophers look huge. Maybe they just looked big next to AF players, but damn. Blake Wheeler looked like a giant camped in front of the net. AF couldn't budge Gopher players out of the crease to save their life.

4. Where is our defense?! I long for the days of Smaby, Greene, Hale, Schneider....the list goes on. If we make mistakes like that against the Gophers tomorrow, may as well start shining the golf clubs tonight. The Gophers will not let us get away with the sloppy D that we got away with tonight (Lammy, are you kidding me with that giveaway?!).

5. On the other hand, I don't remember our powerplay ever looking this good! Kudos to whichever coach has been honing that machine! With Bochenski and Parise on a unit a few years ago our PP was horrific. 5/8 powerplay goals tonight....that is the key to tomorrow's game. Don't take stupid penalties and capitilize on the PP.

6. Lammy Lammy Lammy...you continue to make amazing saves,yet let in the softies. Thank goodness all lines were rolling tonight. How about Porter's line?! I was hoping he would get a hat trick.

7. Pretty good crowd for a neutral arena. I didn't hear an attendance announcement, but I'd say at least 10,000 fans there. Pretty even mix.

8. Bring on the Gophers!! GO SIOUX!!

I was next door neighbors and good friends growing up with one of their players, just by knowing Billy I know that they are a classy bunch, I was really pulling for them this afternoon.