SiouxSports.com Forum

Howard Walker-Neal Broten History

squirtcoach

A short blurb in the Trib this AM about an on-ice conversation between Walker and Broten as told by Broten. Sorry I can't find it on-line:

Walker: You like your hockey stick?

Broten: Yeah, I've been using Christian Brothers sticks all my life.

Walker: Good, cuz tonight your gonna be eating it!

For you youngsters, Walker was an imposing defenseman (all-american) with a history of ending a Junior tournament in Canada one year after he beat up everyone on the ice, including the linesmen. That's the apocryphal story I heard anyway. I never asked him if it was true.

Broten said he almost fainted.

A short blurb in the Trib this AM about an on-ice conversation between Walker and Broten as told by Broten. Sorry I can't find it on-line:

Walker: You like your hockey stick?

Broten: Yeah, I've been using Christian Brothers sticks all my life.

Walker: Good, cuz tonight your gonna be eating it!

For you youngsters, Walker was an imposing defenseman (all-american) with a history of ending a Junior tournament in Canada one year after he beat up everyone on the ice, including the linesmen. That's the apocryphal story I heard anyway. I never asked him if it was true.

Broten said he almost fainted.

Gotta love that type of tenacious d!

That's a great story.

After the Wheeler goal I turned around to the gopher fan and his wife behind me, we'd been having a great time ripping eachother's team, and his SCSU buddy all weekend, and said, "that's a lot like Broten's goal in the 1979 championship game". I thought that highlight was fairly memorable, and thought he'd say yeah, your right. All I got was a HUH?? :silly:

Way to know your programs history. I was a little disapointed.

Come on Bert, Sagard, cardinal, and fire helmet guy, you guys should have a little history lesson over on GPL. :angry:

Howard Walker was about the scariest SOB to ever wear a Sioux jersey, but there's nobody I'd rather have on my side in a street fight. Which is what most WCHA games were in those days.

We (student section at UND) used to razz Neal about using Christian Brothers sticks "they send you the crappy ones because you don't know how to use a stick right anyway". Also about how Herbie only recruited him so he could get Aaron and Butsy to come play for him.