SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA Awards

driscol

WCHA major award winners

Player of the Year -- Ryan Duncan, sophomore, forward, North Dakota

Outstanding Student-Athlete of the Year -- Lee Sweatt, senior, defenseman, Colorado College

Defensive Player of the Year -- Alex Goligoski, junior, D, Minnesota

Rookie of the Year -- Andreas Nodl, freshman, F, SCSU

Coach of the Year -- Bob Motzko, SCSU, and Jamie Russell, Michigan Tech

First Team

Forwards -- Duncan; Mason Raymond, so., Minnesota-Duluth; Andrew Gordon, jr., SCSU; Defensemen -- Goligoski; Matt Niskanen, so., UMD; Goalie -- Bobby Goepfert, sr., SCSU.

Second Team

F -- Jonathan Toews, so., UND; Travis Morin, sr., Minnesota State-Mankato; Kyle Okposo, fr., UM; D -- Mike Vannelli, sr., UM; Taylor Chorney, so., UND; G -- Brian Elliott, sr., Wisconsin.

Third Team

F -- Nodl; T.J. Oshie, so., UND; Ryan Dingle, jr., Denver; D -- Lee Sweatt, sr., Colorado College; Steve Wagner, sr., MSU-Mankato; G -- Michael-Lee Teslak, so., Michigan Tech.

Rookie Team

F -- Nodl; Okposo; Ryan Lasch, SCSU; D -- Erik Johnson, UM; Jamie McBain, UW; G -- Alex Stalock, UMD.

intesting that the 9th place team has 2 guys on the 1st team....and how Niskanen beats Chorney is beyond me.

WCHA major award winners

Player of the Year -- Ryan Duncan, sophomore, forward, North Dakota

Outstanding Student-Athlete of the Year -- Lee Sweatt, senior, defenseman, Colorado College

Defensive Player of the Year -- Alex Goligoski, junior, D, Minnesota

Rookie of the Year -- Andreas Nodl, freshman, F, SCSU

Coach of the Year -- Bob Motzko, SCSU, and Jamie Russell, Michigan Tech

First Team

Forwards -- Duncan; Mason Raymond, so., Minnesota-Duluth; Andrew Gordon, jr., SCSU; Defensemen -- Goligoski; Matt Niskanen, so., UMD; Goalie -- Bobby Goepfert, sr., SCSU.

Second Team

F -- Jonathan Toews, so., UND; Travis Morin, sr., Minnesota State-Mankato; Kyle Okposo, fr., UM; D -- Mike Vannelli, sr., UM; Taylor Chorney, so., UND; G -- Brian Elliott, sr., Wisconsin.

Third Team

F -- Nodl; T.J. Oshie, so., UND; Ryan Dingle, jr., Denver; D -- Lee Sweatt, sr., Colorado College; Steve Wagner, sr., MSU-Mankato; G -- Michael-Lee Teslak, so., Michigan Tech.

Rookie Team

F -- Nodl; Okposo; Ryan Lasch, SCSU; D -- Erik Johnson, UM; Jamie McBain, UW; G -- Alex Stalock, UMD.

intesting that the 9th place team has 2 guys on the 1st team....and how Niskanen beats Chorney is beyond me.

First team for Niskanen is a bit of a surprise but how about overlooking MTU's Helminen who I would take over Vanilla any day.

Niskanen making first team really surprised me. Chorney and Goligoski are the best two D-men in the league. These awards are a bit strange though. I agree with Nodl winning rookie of the year, he deserves it more than anyone else. But how does Okposo make the second team and Nodl make the third team? How can another freshman be on a higher team than the rookie of the year? Not a big deal, just weird. And Mason Raymond had a great year, but Toews and his 1.41 points per game is simply amazing. I know there's only three forward spots, but Toews was outstanding this year and I feel deserved first team.

Niskanen making first team really surprised me. Chorney and Goligoski are the best two D-men in the league. These awards are a bit strange though. I agree with Nodl winning rookie of the year, he deserves it more than anyone else. But how does Okposo make the second team and Nodl make the third team? How can another freshman be on a higher team than the rookie of the year? Not a big deal, just weird. And Mason Raymond had a great year, but Toews and his 1.41 points per game is simply amazing. I know there's only three forward spots, but Toews was outstanding this year and I feel deserved first team.

I agree with you completely. I was surprised to see either UMD player on the 1st team, although I can accept Niskanen more than Raymond. UMD was brutal for most of the year and I don't think Mason Raymond is in the same class as Toews. Toews missed a lot of games with injuries and the World Juniors, but IMHO, is the best player in the league. His statistics support that argument. I also agree with you about Nodl or Okposo as well. Either one would have been deserving of ROTY, but how does one win the award and end up on the 3rd team??

I think if I was picking out a team from college hockey, I'd start with Duncan, Oshie and Toews. Would anyone think that substituting Raymond or Gordon for Oshie or Toews would improve that line?

I don't know, but I wouldn't mind having Raymond on my team.

I watched a lot of last sunday's Duluth/SCSU game and Raymond was a stud. I know it's only one game, but I came away very impressed.

What about Lasch instead of Nodl? Despite his size Lasch seems like more of a scrapper than Nodl. A friend who is an SCSU fan says if you play Nodl physically he disappears. Not so with Lasch.