SiouxSports.com Forum

compairison of ndsu and und recruiting classes

sioux2233

this was on the bisionville website, I thought it was a little un-even, so i re-rated them

Quarterback

---------------

NDSU:

- Tony Stauss: Big 10 starter

- Steve Walker: IL offensive player of the year

- Nick Jackson: can run and pass.

- Andy Thoreson: very athletic, all-state,

UND:

- none signed, maybe a walk-on or 2 coming

Advantage: ndsu, ya cant really compair 4 to none

Tailback

----------

NDSU:

- Symeon Cabell: Rivals 2-stars, 4.5 40, great safety

- Cinque Chapman-Pratt: Chicago Tribune's "Most exciting player", averaged 12.1 ypc (2540 yards).

- Eric Miller: fast and strong. 4.57 40. 7.5 ypc, 1686 yards.

- Alex Wiese: almost 4000 career yards and 1000 receiving.

- Quitman Kyles: MVP for NDSCS in their JUCO bowl game.

UND:

- Preston Stewart: ND 1st team all-state. 1129 yards.

- Alan Sundby: ND 1st team all-state. 2127 yards.

Advantage: ndsu, they have a little more depth but as far as quality goes i'd say its pretty close

Wide Receivers

-------------------

NDSU:

- Allen Burrell: very fast, already proven in college.

- Mike Dragosavich: very tall, over 21 ypr.

UND:

- Rick Presthus: MN all-state, 1336 career yards.

- Aaron Austin: good athlete, big receiver.

- Troy Ott : big receiver, OK speed, ND 1st team all-state.

- Michael Hegg: another big guy, better speed, ND 1st team all-state.

Advantage:

- big advantage to UND, more depth plus better quality when compairing the numbers

Tightend

-----------

NDSU:

- Bryan Lanzy: good speed, 22+ yards per reception.

- Casey Radtke: big guy, don't know much else.

UND:

- Drew Thomas: 2001 ND Gatorade Player of the Year as a RB.

- Jake Turgeon : 5 receptions, 57 yards.

Advantage:

- UND, 2 players that can play tight end or another position very well

Offensive Line

------------------

NDSU:

- Chris Adams: good wrestler.

- Nate Safe: Big.

- Lekang Tyler: good wrestler, good size.

- Jerrod Wagner: Big.

UND:

- Brett Bauer: Big.

- Nick Bonnet: Very good wrestler.

- Mitch Braegelmann: played FB/TE.

- Andy Soll: Physical player, should be good.

Advantage:

- Tie (it's just too hard to tell with offensive linemen)

Defensive Line

-------------------

NDSU:

- James Bechdol: Rivals 2-star player. Huge.

- Justin Frick: dominating player.

- Adrian Herry: fast.

UND:

- Alex Cadwell: good wrestler

- Jordan Muro: 119 tackles, 12 sacks in career.

- Jeff Richter: 78 tackles.

- Andy White: 19 sacks as a senior, athletic.

Advantage: tie, i'd say ndsu may have a little bit better quality but UND has more depth

Linebackers

----------------

NDSU:

- Jason DePolo: IL 1st team all-state. Good wrestler. 200+ career tackles.

- Jadyn Nelson: ND all-state as a RB. Good athlete.

- Tommy Ray: MN all-state, conference MVP, 120 tackles in his senior year.

- Matt Weidler: ND 3-time all-state. 375 career tackles, rushed for 2521 yards in career.

- Joe Mays: 115 tackles, 16 sacks as a senior.

UND:

- Robbie Meek: 217 tackles, 12 sacks in career.

- Dustin Reiff: 104 tackles, also played FB.

- Shane Wise: 302 tackles, 34 sacks in career.

Advantage:

- NDSU, the quality is a little better plus they have more depth

Defensive Backs

---------------------

NDSU:

- Joe Bowen: decent speed, good athlete.

- Craig Dahl: great athlete, can really jump.

- David Earl: fast, athletic, physical.

- Walt Gilbert: on two WI state champion sprint relay teams, fast.

- John Majeski: MN Player of the Year.

UND:

- Donovan Alexander: good speed.

- Duane Wenzel: good speed, jumping ability. WI all-state player.

Advantage:

- NDSU, mainly because of the depth

I might give the edge in WRs to UND just from the number in that position but the two receivers NDSU recruited are top notch. A 6'5" reciever in Dragosavich that averaged over 20 yards a catch and a certain starter for this fall in Burrell who has speed. He and M. Johnson, along with the former Northwestern QB Stauss, make for a great three way combination.

Also, it has been reported that all the freshman have signed up for classes this fall for NDSU. It is somewhat remarkable since the head coach that recruited them left the day before they signed. This tells a lot about a proven program like NDSU. NDSU will have a fluke bad year once every 25-30 years but it won't be for more then one year. The recruits see the chance at going to I-AA and know that they will be winners.

Wide Receivers

-------------------

NDSU:

- Allen Burrell: very fast, already proven in college.

- Mike Dragosavich: very tall, over 21 ypr.

UND:

- Rick Presthus: MN all-state, 1336 career yards.

- Aaron Austin: good athlete, big receiver.

- Troy Ott : big receiver, OK speed, ND 1st team all-state.

- Michael Hegg: another big guy, better speed, ND 1st team all-state.

Advantage:

- big advantage to UND, more depth plus better quality when compairing the numbers

Presthus is close to the NDSU receivers is skill, smart player at Edina. Burrell is faster and experienced. My top three would be Burrell, Dragosavich, Presthus, in that order.

NDSU:

- Bryan Lanzy: good speed, 22+ yards per reception.

- Casey Radtke: big guy, don't know much else.

UND:

- Drew Thomas: 2001 ND Gatorade Player of the Year as a RB.

- Jake Turgeon : 5 receptions, 57 yards.

Advantage:

- UND, 2 players that can play tight end or another position very well

Lanzy by himself would put NDSU on the top for TE's.

Five years down the line will be the best judge, but at where these guys played and their competition the Bison class looks great.

Siouxrock Posted on Mar 15 2003, 09:36 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

teh sioux just wanna be faithfull to ND becuz they are a ND school.

Just like the hockey team.

Siouxrock Posted on Mar 15 2003, 10:41 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

how can u be a ND hockey team when tehre is only about 20 teams in ND that play high school hockey when thers is aboput 120 teams that play high school football

Where is ND as far as producing DI hockey talent? Just guessing, but I would have to say it's way higher than DIA or DIAA football talent. Top 5 football states: California, Texas, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Florida. Then there's a lot of other states such as Georgia, Mississippi, etc. and we aren't even close to mentioning the local football hotbeds, such as Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, and Colorado that are much better than North Dakota. North Dakota probably ranks about the same in DI football talent as teacher salary: 49th or 50th. In a very good year, North Dakota might be able to produce five guys that could start in DI(A or AA) football.

Then there's a lot of other states such as Georgia, Mississippi, etc. and we aren't even close to mentioning the local football hotbeds, such as Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, and Colorado that are much better than North Dakota.

I don't think I'd call Colorado a high school football hotbed, but I did spent 5 weeks stuck in Oklahoma City working for my company last fall. I think those yokels are insane. I heard about how seriously they took high school football in that area, but until I saw some of the stadiums and the support that was almost beyond lunacy, it really sunk in. I can understand why so many college coaches go there, and many more go to Texas. Although I think that NDSU could benefit from Nodak players, they will have to head out of state to get the quality players necessary to make the jump.

prolly 1 t0 4 pl4y3rz fr0m teh wh0l3 st4te 0f ND 4 y34r. ???

(probably one to four players from the whole state of North Dakota a year.)- For those with a high school diploma :)

elmduf,

I was trying to say that most of the local "hotbed" states for football are probably in the bottom half of all states. With these states producing more DI talent than ND, it's pretty safe to say that ND is near the bottom. It has a lot to do with population, and we know where ND is with that.

Where is ND as far as producing DI hockey talent? Just guessing, but I would have to say it's way higher than DIA or DIAA football talent.

So why are you comparing DII football recruiting to DI hockey recuriting? There is no comparison. That was my point.

So why are you comparing DII football recruiting to DI hockey recuriting? There is no comparison. That was my point.

PCM,

I agree with you. I was trying to make a point to Siouxrock, but it looks like he agrees now. ???

QUOTE (PCM @ Mar 15 2003, 06:21 PM)

QUOTE (BisonMav @ Mar 15 2003, 04:04 PM)

My count is 83 football teams in ND. 

How many of them are producing top-level Division I players? 

prolly 1/4 of them

Posted on Mar 16 2003, 01:45 PM

there is better hockey players then there is football players in the state

I think that some North Dakota kids shied away from NDSU because of all the scare stories about how NDSU is going to flop in DI. When this doesn't happen, NDSU will start getting their share of ND kids. It's not like UND wasn't trying to get out of state kids (take Colorado, for instance), they just weren't getting them. NDSU was just a lot more successful in Illinois than UND was in Colorado so as far as I'm concerned, NDSU doesn't have anything to apologize for. The coaches can't make ND kids go to NDSU. If NDSU was passing up good ND players without even giving them a look, that'd be a different story. I don't think that's what happened though.

Looks like UND fans agree with MojoBison's analysis of the recruiting class for the most part (Mojo's pick first, then Sioux2233's)

QB: NDSU, NDSU

RB: NDSU, NDSU

WR: UND, UND

OL: Tie, Tie

TE: UND, UND

DL: NDSU, Tie

LB: NDSU, NDSU

DB: NDSU, NDSU

I'd disagree on TE (give it a tie). I also think that depth doesn't come from a single recruiting class, so that's nearly irrelevant. For example, UND only needs one RB to be better than the best that NDSU got or have both their DB recruits turn out better than NDSU's best two and they've done better. Same goes for NDSU v UND in the WR and DL department. It's not like UND is going to be putting four WRs from the same recruiting class onto the field at the same time so if NDSU's two are better than UND's best two, NDSU will have done better at this position - but the Austin-Presthus combo will be hard to beat. On the DL, all three of those guys NDSU signed are studs so I think that UND's guys are going to have to work pretty hard to equal them.