SiouxSports.com Forum

We are the NCAA

PCM

Theme party provokes outrage

'South of the border' photos spark anti-racism march

Janitors, female gangsters and pregnant women.

These were some of the costumes worn by students, including student-athletes, portraying Latino stereotypes at an off-campus birthday party on Jan. 29.

Photographs from the "south of the border" party were discovered by a member of the Multicultural Center, who then passed them on to Bernice Aguas, director of the MCC. They had been posted on Facebook, a social networking site that is popular among Santa Clara students.

Aguas said she was shocked when she saw the photos.

"I was speechless. I didn't even know what to think, feel or say," she said.

Among the students at the party were at least five members of the women's volleyball team, at least one member of the men's basketball team and at least one member of the men's golf team, according to pictures from the party. The party's host, also an athlete, is half-Mexican.

to06xf90.jpg

It's nice that the student-athletes at SCU got NCAA support for their racially insensitive theme party. :ohmy:

Aguas said she was shocked when she saw the photos.

"I was speechless. I didn't even know what to think, feel or say," she said.

How about, "How come I wasn't invited?" :D;)

Worse? What the heck does "I didn't even know what to think, feel or say" really mean? Does it mean this MCC minion can't think, feel, or say (regurgitate?) anything that she hasn't been previously spoon-fed by some "enlightened" advisior? There's good value for the "education" dollar. ;)

The party's host, also an athlete, is half-Mexican.

You mean people of one race can have differing opinions about how their culture can be viewed?

And heaven help the host if they hadn't been .... they'd be in the sensitivity re-education camp for years to come.

The party was racist. Stereotyping a race of people as if they were the only ones with the 'social problems' represented by their costumes. Offended, yes, I am.

That was a PRIVATE party, attended by persons who were NOT offended. They have the right to have any kind of party they want. The party didn't hurt me, cause me to turn to drink/drugs/unemployment, etc. What it did do was show a group of people whom I have no respect for nor will I ever knowingly associate with any of them.

I have the right to not attend a party that I find hostile, abusive and / or racist.