SiouxSports.com Forum

Curling

JESUS,family,rutgers

During the intermission between the second and third periods of the Fighting Sioux vs Minnesota State game, they mentioned that the arena will host Curling Championships. Do many people in North Dakota play(?) curling?

Yes, there are many curlers her in ND. There have been many that have gone on to win national titles, but I'll have to leave the names to someone else to post. I can think of Don Barcome, Dale Dalziel and the Dishers.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, there are many curlers her in ND. There have been many that have gone on to win national titles, but I'll have to leave the names to someone else to post. I can think of Don Barcome, Dale Dalziel and the Dishers.

The Barcome brother's Don, Earl et al won the world Junior Championship about 28 years ago. Don did field a team in the World Curling Tour for several years but has since switched to promoting events such as the upcoming one at the REA. My only claim to sports fame at UND was having skipped one of the two school teams. Although it wasn't a sanctioned NCAA event there is a US University Curling championship every year and it was in Wisconsin the year I played and UND won of course. Go Sioux

• 1 month later...

I watched the 2007 Men's World Curling Championship in Edmonton on CBC today. They were playing commercials for the 2008 Men's World Curling Championship at the Ralph next year. The Rexall Place arena, home of the Edmonton Oilers, set a new attendance record beating the 2003 championship in Winnipeg. It'll be interesting to see what kind of attendance the Ralph can draw and if it will be as Canadian fan heavy as the World Juniors were.

www.worldmenscurling2008.com

It took me seeing the commercial a few times today before the whole "Rock the Ralph" slogan sunk in. :lol: haha

I hope that the Ralph goes after more events like this, the World Juniors, the Women's World Hockey Championship, etc. Events like this are great exposure for Grand Forks, NoDak and UND.