New logo design under way

PCM

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what?

Brilliant response. :D

I shouldn't have to draw you a picture, but I will. Notice the mascots of college sports teams below. There are two people. There's an animal. There's a person dressed as an animal.

osceola2.jpg

Chief Osceola, Florida State

chiefilliniwek3.jpg

Chief Illiniwek, University of Illinois

CSU_cam1.jpg

Cam the Ram, Colorado State

ralphie.jpg

Ralphie the buffalo, University of Colorado

These are mascots, the type traditionally used by college sports teams.

Question: What does UND have that's even remotely similar?

Answer: Nothing.

Sioux-cia wins.

make sure you read this SLOW, so you understand...

Letters are symbols. Pictures are symbols. The University of North Dakota has a symbol, let's call it a "logo." UND also has a nickname.

Logo + Nickname = mascot.

And since we've already gone over how a mascot is a symbol for a University that is greater than the sum of its parts (Logo + Nickname), what else do you have to argue about?

Letters are symbols. Pictures are symbols. The University of North Dakota has a symbol, let's call it a "logo." UND also has a nickname.

And since we've already gone over how a mascot is a symbol for a University that is greater than the sum of its parts (Logo + Nickname), what else do you have to argue about?

Now you're back to using your personal definition, which isn't even supported by the dictionary definition you quoted! :D

Perhaps you can explain why, when the NCAA enacted its policy, nicknames, mascots and imagery were specifically identified? If images and mascots are the same thing, why did the NCAA bother to differentiate between them?

The answer is obvious to anyone who understands the accepted meanings of the words. Play all the semantics games you want, but you're wrong.

Funny. I have a dictionary that says, "a person or animal that is adopted by a team or other group as a symbolic figure."

I haven't wavered on my definition.

A logo is just an image. Add a nickname to the logo, and you get a mascot, which is a symbol. The mascot represents, in this case, the entire student body (whether they like it or not), the state of North Dakota, its alumni, sentimental feelings about the ol' college days and a sense of unity, especially when packed in an 11,000 seat arena with others just like you.

Images and mascots are not the same thing. What good is an image if it's not tied to anything. The mascot is a symbol for much more than just an image stitched on a sweater. Mascot symbol mascot symbol mascot symbol mascot symbol. It's written in your dictionary definition.

I take it you're an ardent follower of the NCAA? Whatever they say, goes?

Accounting Stu is bad at math.

Where on earth did you come up with your formula that Logo + Nickname = mascot?

A logo is just an image.

Yes.

Add a nickname to the logo, and you get a mascot, which is a symbol.

No. Wrong. Not even close.

The dictionary definition you quoted is actually more restrictive than the one I quoted. The one you quoted says a mascot is person or animal used as a symbolic figure. UND uses no person or animal as a symbolic figure. Nor does it use an object as a symbolic figure, as specified in the definition I quoted.

This isn't hard to understand. Just look at the pictures I posted above. They're perfect examples of what normal people consider mascots when the word is used in the context of a college sports team.

If you can show me something -- anything -- UND has or does that comes anywhere near what's shown in those pictures, then you can say that UND has a mascot. Until then, your statement is misleading at best and dishonest at worst.

Let's put your theory to the test with a few NFL teams.

Do the New York Jets have a 747 on the sidelines at their football games?

Do the New Orleans Saints have someone dressed as a saint on the sidelines?

Remember the Chicago Fire from the WFL? Was there a bonfire somwhere on display during home games?

Sure sometime teams do have a mascot to go along with their team name, but "Logo + Nickname = mascot" does not hold water.

LogoTony.jpg

Plus

Nickname161-00094.jpg

equals Mascot.

Without the nickname, it's just a picture of a tiger.

macot = symbol.

keep laughing at your own jokes, stromer. makes you look real cool.

You can twist it around and put it in a any type of bocus 'formula' you want but when all is said and done,

YOU'RE WRONG!!!!!

UND does not have a mascot!

...your personal definition which isn't even supported by the dictionary definition you quoted.

And that's the last time I'm going to say it.

Are you reading the correct thread? Mascot is a person or animal that symbolizes the institution. What is there not to get? The logo is a picture of a Sioux Warrior, the mascot IS a Sioux Warrior.

I am a North Dakota Fighting Sioux.

I'm not just a picture.

I love some of the things in Wikipedia under mascot:

Team merchandise typically bears the team logo and mascot.
Gee, listed as two separate and distinct entities ...

Often the choice of mascot reflects a desired quality; a common example of this is the fighting spirit, in which a competitive nature is personified by warriors or predatory animals. Mascots may also symbolize a local or regional trait, such as the Dallas Cowboys, which refers to the Texan ranching tradition, or the Nebraska Cornhuskers, whose mascot is Herbie Husker (a man wearing overalls and a cowboy hat with corn husks coming out one pocket). ...

Mascots based on Native American tribes are particularly contentious, as many argue that they constitute offensive exploitations of an oppressed culture. However, such debates are not unique to Native American mascots: Alfred University, a school of approximately 2,000 students in Western New York has the Saxon as its mascot, represented as a charging knight in armor, and intended to symbolize strength and courage. Others protest that the Saxon represents male chauvinism.

Where's the NCAA regarding a "Saxon" moniker? Oh, yeah, same place as "Irish" and "Vandal".

Back to the basics kids:

If "Fighting Sioux" is "hostile and abusive" to American Indians, remove the name and replace it with the name of the greatest enemy of the Sioux.

Thus by the protesters' own logic you'll be "hostile and abusive" to that group: a double win -- "protecting" the Sioux; "abusing" their enemy.

Go Cavalry.

Who's signing up to be the first "William T. Sherman" mascot? :D

Your definition of mascot is skewed.

You're the one attempting to substitute your own skewed definition. The dictionary definition of a mascot that you quoted and the one I quoted are easily understandable.

I feel like I'm teaching a kindergarten class, trying to get all the kids to sit in a tidy circle and LISTEN!

Unfortunately, even kindergartners can understand that your teachings are nonsense.