SiouxSports.com Forum

USD to DI

SiouxMD

O.K., I'll chime in. I was hoping that USD would make the jump to DI at the same time as UND.

What are the odds that UND and USD "partner-up" through this move in the same fashion that SDSU and NDSU did (who act like conjoined twins :silly: ) ? What are the motives of these two schools, who do in fact have alot of similarities?

I really don't know if I see UND and USD packaging themselves in the same way. I think UND has its sights set on the Big Sky. USD would probably prefer the Mid-Con if either of our schools were in a position to pick and choose (which they are not). I think we can expect to see alot of the Coyotes in the next couple of years, as those games will at the very least be something to look forward to if we have to suffer through a conference-less purgatory type transition, and I look forward to it. I still think by 2010-2011, the four Dakota schools will all probably be in the Mid-Con, although I still hold out hope for the Big Sky. In any event at least we know that our most likely first conference home, the Great West, will at minimum have five members from the Dakotas, California, and Utah.

I've had a question about the Great West for a while and this seems like as good of place as any to ask it.

If NDSU and SDSU are still in the Great West in '08, UND and USD will probably not get into the conference in their first year because it will be the first year of playoff eligibility for NDSU and SDSU and it would hurt them to play a school in its first year of transition. However, if the 'SU's move to the Gateway, which is likely, the Great West will be down to three schools. It seems the Great West would have to invite UND and USD into their conference in the first year under those circumstances. Is my understanding correct?

The Great West has been talking to at least 4 schools. No names have officially been given but the speculation is that they're UND, USD, San Diego, and Sacramento State.

If either SSU or USD joins the Great West and NDSU/SDSU stay, the GW will be autobid eligible for the 2010 season.

By then I think it would be likely that both UND and USD would be in the GW, though neither would be helping the autobid cause until 2012.

If NDSU and SDSU go to the Gateway, the GW would need to add all 4 schools by the 2008 season and wouldn't qualify for the autobid until 2014.

Then, of course, there's always Sac State's plans to move up to DI-A and the WAC. Davis would be an ideal travel partner for them.

And SUU could be picked off by the Big Sky at any time.

Right now, with the Great West possibly losing the Su's, I don't think beggars can be choosers. they need numbers, plain and simple. The Sioux have already proved they can beat one of the top teams in the top conference in 1AA (yes , I know it is now Playoff Division, 1AA is easier) and the Yotes have been pretty successful of late, they would be foolish to turn away our schools even if the SU's were still in that conference. Remember, there are other schools than the SU's in that conference that have a stake. How does this look to those other schools,"Yes, we know we are planning to bolt and leave you high and dry, but adding these schools might hurt us, we need to block these additions." If I was the other schools I would be PO'd at the SU's.

We can't be choosers when it comes to conference affiliation, either, but the Great West is on a tough spot as well. I think it is pretty much a given we'll be playing there after next season.

I know some on here still love the Big Sky idea, but which conference is going to be more stable and more powerful in the long run, the Big Sky, with the Montanas toying with the 1A idea, or the MidCon, with the 4 Dakota schools and all our tradition and rivalries solidifying that conference for the future. I know NDSU has dreams of being in the Valley, but don't you think the Mid Con with 10 -15 years of stability could run down and compete evenly with those schools given a solid core of motivated institutions? Look at the tops of the Valley, UNI and Creighton. Used to be conference members with us. Heck, Creighton is on a good run, but as soon as they lose Altman they'll be back to 3000-4000 per game attendance like they were a few years ago. They even believe that on the Omaha talk radio stations. The word down there is if Omaha wants a permanent player in D1 athletics they need to free up UNO from the handcuffs that UNL has them in and allow them to flourish and move up to D1.

It's like a freaking game of chess. We have to make the right moves now to position ourselves for the future and I don't see UND, with a school based on the eastern side of the state, isolating itself from the Midwest by heading west, to a less populated area, away from Minn, and the rest of the midwest as being a good move. I mean, you can draw athletes out of Minn, geographically not that different. You think you can get recruits to leave Denver, and the mountains to come to the cold plains of NoDak? that's a tougher sell. I don't even think the Big Sky is even a thought in anybody's minds at USD. But if they did come into play, we'd bite.

All that being said, the MidCon is no guarantee, that is why we should come at them hard. But hey, we have no choice but to dance with whoever will take us.

End of my free form dialog.

I've had a question about the Great West for a while and this seems like as good of place as any to ask it.

If NDSU and SDSU are still in the Great West in '08, UND and USD will probably not get into the conference in their first year because it will be the first year of playoff eligibility for NDSU and SDSU and it would hurt them to play a school in its first year of transition. However, if the 'SU's move to the Gateway, which is likely, the Great West will be down to three schools. It seems the Great West would have to invite UND and USD into their conference in the first year under those circumstances. Is my understanding correct?

I think you've pegged it. The only variation I can see is if UND and USD can guarantee the Great West schools that they will have more than 7 DI programs on their schedules in 2008. That should make them DI counters and not adversely affect the playoff hopes of the postseason eligible teams. This assumes that NDSU and SDSU are still in the GWFC at that time. Still, I think the two scenarios you laid out are the most likely.

• 2 weeks later...

The South Dakota Board of Regents approved USD's request to go DI (registration required)

I think this was expected to be a rubber-stamp and it appears it was.

I thought this part was interesting.

The Inter-Collegiate Athletic Consulting (ICAC) group of New York recommended USD seek membership in the Great West Conference for football and the Mid-Continent Conference for all other sports. The ICAC also recommended that USD partner with the University of North Dakota, which announced its D-I intentions beginning in 2007-08, to create a more attractive package for seeking conference affiliation.

• 4 weeks later...

Will we have a travelling trophy with USD? We played for the Sitting Bull trophy for 40+ years.

Coyotes, Fighting Sioux need a rivalry trophy

Neither USD's nor UND's traditional in-state rival has projected any immediate sense of urgency to resume competition with their little brothers. Anticipating, then, that those USD-South Dakota State and UND-North Dakota State games are a longer way off than would seem logical to the casual fan, this will be the big game for the other for the foreseeable future.

The reporter basically makes a bunch of jokes about it, but I don't think it is a bad idea. There is a history there between the two schools and alot of similarities. I give credit to NDSU and SDSU for the way they've promoted their games against each other while in the transition, and I think it would be wise for UND and USD to do the same thing until the schools find a conference.

how about the Nickel trophy?? :lol: (for FB at least!) the ag school is obviously "TOO BUSY" to be bothered with making any room in their schedules...they don't seem to care anyway - so why not? Maybe I could Dremel the buffalo into a coyote? It might take a while but I'd be happy to take on the challenge... :angry: