SiouxSports.com Forum

2006-2007 ND High School Hockey

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Point totals are not always an indicator of how well one plays. In most years if you are able to put up 30 points in the West, that probably correlates to around 15-20 points in the East. Besides, all point scoring is a function of how your team plays and the opportunities that they help you create. If you put one of Fargo South's top 4 point getters and put them on West Fargo, their scoring output will decrease because his opportunity to score will decrease. The same goes for if you put West Fargo's top player on Fargo South. He's going to get more points. My conclusion- points do not always provide a solid testimony to the strength of a players skill. Sometimes they do, but in North Dakota High School hockey, they can also be very deceiving.

I agree that point totals do not always indicate a players skill level. You're indication about the point totals in the west not corrolating to point totals from the east is also fair but you must also look at the team mates one has. It is a lot easier to produce when you have a strong line. The Herbel kid from Bottineau is doing this without the benefit of alot of talent around him. Why is it so hard for everyone to believe that the West can produce a quality hockey player. This kid is as fast as anyone in the state and has alot of skill and hockey sense.

It's more east bias. The west has not done anything at state for several years so some of it is grounded but I agree that the west has produced some very good players. Jordan Willert is going to play for Nebraska Omaha next year. Layne Sedevie plays for Bemidji. Andy Dittus will play somewhere as will Rody Selk. There is a defenseman from Williston that is in juniors in the USHL that will play somewhere. There have been a few players from Bismarck and Jamestown that have done some good things in DI too. Tom Philion, Jeff Bredahl, Matt MOrrelli, Quinn Fylling, Mitch Vig, Jeremy Asheim, Justin Theel, Mike Peluso, Ben Keup (from Minot but played at Notre Dame in SK and then played for Lake Superior State, Danny Hanson (Lake State), Jim Kropp. These are only a few from years past. I think that Schmidt kid and Stremick from Minot will go somewhere as will Hillman from Bismarck. I think Herbel is the real deal and could go somewhere too. To have more respect, the west is going to have to get its act together and do something at state.

Here are today's (Friday - 12/28) games :

Bismarck Century at St. Cloud Tourney (Litchfield-DC, MN 5, Bismarck Century 4)

Bottineau at Williston Tourney (vs. Morden, MB - 2:30 PM)

Dickinson at Silver Bay, MN Tourney (vs. Minneapolis West, MN - 2:00 PM)

Fargo Shanley at Wadena, MN Tourney (Fargo Shanley 4, Red Lake Falls, MN 2)

Fargo North at Warroad, MN Tourney (Osseo, MN 6, Fargo North 5)

Fargo South at Rochester, MN Tourney (Stillwater, MN 2, Fargo South 1)

Grafton-Park River at Warroad, MN Tourney (Grafton-Park River 4, Warroad 1)

Grand Forks Central at Roseau, MN Tourney (Lake of the Woods/Baudette, MN 5, Grand Forks Central 4)

Hazen-Beulah at Little Falls, MN Tourney (Hazen-Beulah 5, Wahpeton 2)

Mandan at Williston Tourney (vs. Central Butte, SK - 5:00 PM)

Wahpeton at Little Falls, MN Tourney (Hazen-Beulah 5, Wahpeton 2)

West Fargo at Fergus Falls, MN Tourney (Mankato West 4, West Fargo 2)

Williston at Williston Tourney (vs. Beinfait, SK - 7:30 PM)

Updated a few scores ...

I agree that point totals do not always indicate a players skill level. You're indication about the point totals in the west not corrolating to point totals from the east is also fair but you must also look at the team mates one has. It is a lot easier to produce when you have a strong line. The Herbel kid from Bottineau is doing this without the benefit of alot of talent around him. Why is it so hard for everyone to believe that the West can produce a quality hockey player. This kid is as fast as anyone in the state and has alot of skill and hockey sense.

Date Opponent W/L BHS OPP

11-27 at Rivers Collegiate W 8 2 Where is this back woods college at? Bottineau pumps 3 in against Century's JV and rips in 8 on these guys?

12-1 Williston L 1 4

12-2 Jamestown L 2 7

12-8 at Bis. Century JV W 3 2 I bet Century's JV team is really good, I mean their varsity has won all of 2 games this year.

12-9 at Bismarck High L 3 4

12-15 at Hazen-Beulah W 4 1

12-16 at Dickinson L 2 3

12-27 vs Bienfait W 8 2 Wow I'd love to see this team play, Whap could probably wax these dandys.

12-28 vs Central Butte W 6 2 Another worthy opponent.

I thought Whap. had a weak non conference schedule but this is absurd. Seriously, I can't respect this team or any of the players when they don't respect themselves.

Date Opponent W/L BHS OPP

11-27 at Rivers Collegiate W 8 2 Where is this back woods college at? Bottineau pumps 3 in against Century's JV and rips in 8 on these guys?

12-1 Williston L 1 4

12-2 Jamestown L 2 7

12-8 at Bis. Century JV W 3 2 I bet Century's JV team is really good, I mean their varsity has won all of 2 games this year.

12-9 at Bismarck High L 3 4

12-15 at Hazen-Beulah W 4 1

12-16 at Dickinson L 2 3

12-27 vs Bienfait W 8 2 Wow I'd love to see this team play, Whap could probably wax these dandys.

12-28 vs Central Butte W 6 2 Another worthy opponent.

I thought Whap. had a weak non conference schedule but this is absurd. Seriously, I can't respect this team or any of the players when they don't respect themselves.

A very sarcastic yet a very good point made. It's easy to put in points when your playing teams that hardly qualify as varsity hockey (century JV, Rivers Collegiate, Bienfat, Central Butte...). No one will disagree that some very good players come the West. At least I won't.

Bottineau is pretty good I think. I am giving them a decent chance to go to State this year. I see them possibly knocking off a slightly higher ranked team like Williston or Century in the West region turnament.

Was that a serious comment, they lost to Century's Jv and your predicting them to knock Century off. Bottineau has no chance to make it to state.

Bottineau is pretty good I think. I am giving them a decent chance to go to State this year. I see them possibly knocking off a slightly higher ranked team like Williston or Century in the West region turnament.

You say they're a pretty good team, yet they only have a decent chance of going to state? Grafton is a pretty good team. North (can be) a pretty good team. Bottineau is not a pretty good team. They're bad.

Watch out the Spoilers have ran off 8 wins in a row now since starting the year with 2 losses....lol. Just curious what everyone's thought is of them now. I know they really haven't played anyone powerful except South and Warroad but still impressive I think to start with 2 losses then run off 8. Do they have a good chance of beating Red River?

Watch out the Spoilers have ran off 8 wins in a row now since starting the year with 2 losses....lol. Just curious what everyone's thought is of them now. I know they really haven't played anyone powerful except South and Warroad but still impressive I think to start with 2 losses then run off 8. Do they have a good chance of beating Red River?

I think Warroad is down this year so that win isn't that impressive.

I think Warroad is down this year so that win isn't that impressive.

Warroad is currently ranked # 6 in the state in the latest AP/Let's Play Hockey poll in Class A. They are now 9-3-1. To me, the Grafton-Park River 4-1 win over Warroad WAS impressive. Anytime a North Dakota team can knock off a perennial power in Minnesota hockey, like Warroad is ... year in year our, I think "a congrats" is on order.

Warroad is currently ranked # 6 in the state in the latest AP/Let's Play Hockey poll in Class A. They are now 9-3-1. To me, the Grafton-Park River 4-1 win over Warroad WAS impressive. Anytime a North Dakota team can knock off a perennial power in Minnesota hockey, like Warroad is ... year in year our, I think "a congrats" is on order.

Warroad was the number 1 team in the State a few weeks ago when they played Moorhead. They can't be down that bad.

Great win by the SPOILERS!!!!!!!!

Was that a serious comment, they lost to Century's Jv and your predicting them to knock Century off. Bottineau has no chance to make it to state.

Yes it was serious. That Century game was for 2 points. Also, I am pretty sure that Century had more than the usual number of Varsity kids playing. The game was for two points though.

Yes it was serious. That Century game was for 2 points. Also, I am pretty sure that Century had more than the usual number of Varsity kids playing. The game was for two points though.

First of all, you dont lost to someones JV team. How bad of a team do you have to be to lose to a JV team, especially in the West? Anyway, why was Bottineau playing a JV team in the first place? I dont really get that.