SiouxSports.com Forum

Men's Team Playing the Big Ten

sultan

Here we are two days away from playing two of the most tradition rich basketball programs in the country and the media is silent. Does anybody know were playing Indiana and Purdue this weekend. Where is the media on this. Television, radio and especially the newspaper should be ashamed. You would think there would be a little hype leading up to this. I do realize they are exhibition games but what the heck. In fact both teams start there seasons this week and you almost would never know it. It's sad.

Here we are two days away from playing two of the most tradition rich basketball programs in the country and the media is silent. Does anybody know were playing Indiana and Purdue this weekend. Where is the media on this. Television, radio and especially the newspaper should be ashamed. You would think there would be a little hype leading up to this. I do realize they are exhibition games but what the heck. In fact both teams start there seasons this week and you almost would never know it. It's sad.

I agree that this should be getting more press, but I think the athletic department must take much of the blame because it's not as though they're going out of their way to publicize it. I also think it was a mistake not to have a midnight madness since I would think people would have shown up with a new coach and many new players.

I think it hurts a little, from a media coverage standpoint, to have them be the opening games. I know it sounds kind of silly, considering the media circus the start of the basketball season is at many schools. But at UND, no one's mind is on basketball during the traditionally weak-opponent Fall season that overlaps with football and the start of hockey.

If the Sioux want to see some serious media attention, winning one of them would do it ;)

Here's the athletic department release for the two exhibition games. The projected starting lineup certainly isn't what I expected, although I had heard that Koenig was probably not going to play in the exhibitions so that's not a big surprise. I'm pretty surprised that Porter and Gutter are projected starters, and I kind of expected Hoy might be a 6th man rather than a starter.

I just read todays Herald and I didn't say any mention again about tomorrows mens game with a Big Ten team. Is the game still on? Maybe there really isn't a game. If the game is played I hope they put a box score in after the game. I know the Herald has sure done a good job of getting the fans fired up for the start of the season. I know that it is not the Herald's job but an article or two might have been of interest to a few readers in the area.

The Herald actually sent a reporter to the games. He left today. I'm guessing there will be a story on Friday.
I was going to point out the same thing, that whoever is covering it for the Herald is probably traveling right now :whistling:

Meanwhile, to keep us entertained:

Just Warming Up, Boilermakers host North Dakota in exhibition game Friday night

The Boilermakers and Fighting Sioux met once prior to Friday night's game.

On Dec. 5, 1968, Purdue defeated North Dakota 116-84 in Mackey Arena. The Boilermakers were ranked No. 14 and reached the Final Four.

Purdue wants to make history, not dwell on it
First up is North Dakota, a Division II program in transition. The Fighting Sioux have a new coach in Brian Jones, a former Iowa assistant under Steve Alford. They have nine new players and a new approach following last year’s 13-15 record.

The Boilers, of course, could care less. They’re focused on using this exhibition, and one next Wednesday against Wisconsin-Platteville, as preparation for the Nov. 13 season opener against Northern Colorado.

UND basketball team is all new and ready to play

Jones said all the starting positions remain open for the Sioux, who will play exhibition games this weekend at Big Ten schools Purdue and Indiana. The regular season begins Nov. 15 at Minnesota-Crookston.

"Those exhibitions will give us an indication of who will be in the rotation," Jones said. "We're going to use a lot of players. Lots of positions are up for grabs."

Jones said the Sioux often may play four guards at one time. The 14-player roster lists eight guards, with junior college transfer Ervin Youmanns and freshman Travis Bledsoe expected to share time at point guard.