SiouxSports.com Forum

Fight On Sioux

dagies

Got my copy of the book for Christmas.  Just finished reading it a few days ago.  When you read the book, you understand better Blais' comments about how "the program is bigger than anyone one person".

What a storied tradition.  I have nothing to do with the book, but I would say that it should be required reading for any Sioux hockey fan.  I know others have talked about this book before, and that is why it ended up on my "wish" list.  I'm glad they did.

I showed it to one of my SCSU fan/friends.  He is a big hockey fan and he even wants to read it.  He's very jealous of our history.

I went to UND from 1984 - 1987.  Man, I wish I had been about 4-5 years earlier!

Got to get that book.

I was there in the 70's and saw many games in the really old barn.

Went to most home games during the dismal 5 win season under Bjorkman in the then new Englestad. Knew most of the players from Walsh Hall. In fact helped a college broadcasting major friend move equipment into the building just prior to its debut.

Was in SD and got tickets for the FF at Grand Forks in 1983. Very disappointing that the Sioux were not picked for the NCAA tourney. Wisco and the Sioux were by far the best teams in the country (Sioux had won it all in 82) and Wisco, the Gophers, and a marginal Duluth team were picked. Wisco won in a cakewalk. Fun partying with the Wisco fans at Frenchy's, however.

My wife got me the book back in October and it is a must read, read the book in about 1 hours, couldn't put it down and kept reading it.

The stuff about the Sioux and badgers was awesome. The stuff about Archibald was even more funny.

My favorite chapter in the book is "The Wisconsin wars: 1981-1982." Great memories. The Sioux were national champs in '80 and '82. The Badgers were national champs in '81 and '83. A couple of quotes:

"Between the Sioux (12 players) and Wisconsin (nine), a mind-boggling 21 players who battled in the 1982 title game in Providence, R.I., went on to play in the National Hockey League."

"All of Gasparini's freshman (81-82) recruits--Archibald, Sherven, Patrick, Zombo, Donnelly and Tippett--went on to play in the NHL. Has any college ever had a better rookie class?"

Up to the 92 championship, Patrick's teams, from peewee or below on up, had won the biggest prize they could win each year. Then came the 83 selection debaucle (I'll never get over it).

Patrick and classmates all played junioir in the SJHL, for the Notre Dame Hounds of Wilcox, Sask. They won the Canadian national juniors the year prior to becoming Sioux. Their goaltender=Curtis Joseph.

(Edited by sprig at 5:25 pm on Jan. 8, 2002)

You know, I really didn't know where to post this but I thought it was pretty good.  I'll post it here because there is a quote in Fight On Sioux by Bob Iwabuche that belongs in with the "humor" quotes I read on this page here.

I don't have my FOS handy to put the quote here, maybe someone else will.  It's a little goaltenders poem.

Anyway, check out this link, and especially read the humor link:

http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~norrisdt/passages/passages.html

• 1 month later...