SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach's Show

forecheck

We're not going to win all the games, and we'd rather lose now than in the playoffs. Joking about trying to rationalize a home loss to Tech. Blais looks up at the scoreboard and sees the shots are 12-2 UND after Tech scores, and right away he thinks "oh no." He lost confidence right there.

There are some players who haven't had much playing time or who haven't played up to their ability lately, and you have to work hard in practice in order to play well in games.

Practice through November is a 2 hour practice, then it goes down to 1 1/2 hours, and now they're practicing for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

When CC stumbles, UND wants to be right on their tail, and they did when they split with MN. The race isn't over yet, and although losing to Tech was a setback, UND is still in the race. CC has some tough games left yet, and they're not going to run the table. If they play .500 hockey, UND has to win all the rest of their games. CB says the question is how good are we without David Hale, and obviously the team isn't too good. The team has been playing without him for a couple weeks now, though, so it's not as big of a factor as it was in Colorado, although the team isn't the same without him.

Spiewak and Notermann are happy to be back on a line together, and Parise is being moved to a wing with Lundbohm centering. CB jokes that Parise can play goalie if he wanted to, he's that good, so playing on his off wing won't make a difference. Lundbohm is pretty jacked to be playing with 2 of the best players in the country. CB says GO WITH THE PLAYERS THAT ARE GOING TO WIN and stay with them now. (that was for UNDLaw's benefit. ;) )

Denver coach (not going to try his name) isn't trying for the WCHA title right now, so he needs to work on resting his players for the post season right now.

My call pretty much took up the rest of the show. ;) Basically, Blais doesn't label his goaltender's 1, 2, or 3, and he prefers female hockey fans to male hockey fans. ??? A lot of the times which goalie plays is a gut feeling, sometimes you're right, sometimes you're wrong. I'll let PCM fill in the rest.

I saw Hale last week, I believe on Wednesday and he looked thin, you could definately tell he had lost some weight. Going from 220 to 200 is a pretty big jump in weight. I hope he can get healty again real soon. UND needs Hale smashing people into the boards and for his smart defensive play...

Just saw this in the Mpls paper and thought Sioux fans would be interested.

Wanted: goalie

With crunch time approaching, North Dakota still is searching for consistent goaltending. The fifth-ranked Sioux gave Josh Siembida another shot last weekend against Michigan Tech, and after earning an 8-0 shutout Friday, he wavered in a stunning 5-2 loss.

Siembida gave up four goals on 20 shots, including one on a 50-foot shot by Colin Murphy. He was replaced by Jake Brandt as the Sioux lost for the first time at home this season. Though Siembida is 12-3 -- the best overall winning percentage in the WCHA and third-best in the nation -- he has a save percentage of .852 (14th in the league and 79th in the nation) and goals-against average of 3.17. Brandt is 9-2-2, but he also has a sub-.900 save percentage (.895, 50th in NCAA).

PCM - It's Thursday, right? My day to watch Glen & Lou is Monday. ???

Spiewak and Notermann are happy to be back on a line together, and Parise is being moved to a wing with Lundbohm centering. CB jokes that Parise can play goalie if he wanted to, he's that good, so playing on his off wing won't make a difference.

Handyman, did you see this quote? ???

Well, all this talk about goalies has made me more nervous than before. I thought they were bad, but now that the national comparison stats are flying, I realize just HOW bad they are.

But, and all the same, I really don't care that much about past performance at this point. We just need ONE guy to step forward... which I gather would be Brandt from his "practice" play, but he flops on the ice like an ice fisherman with no live-well... did I just use an ice fishing analogy... OUCH!

Anyway, I hope Dean knows what he is doing (regarding the goaltending... there is NO question that he is a great coach). I still say give Ranfranz a chance. He may not do as well in practice, but from what I have seen, he maintains position, softens some pretty hard shots and, most importantly, forgets about a goal scored against him (so it seems) about as soon as the light goes off.

Crossing my fingers for some CC losses (not this week... they play the East-West School for the Blind... or something like that!). ???