SiouxSports.com Forum

Layne Sedevie

amn5hol

There was a scary development in Lincoln's (with Lamoureux in net) 5-2 victory over Topeka tonight. Ryan Potulny scored on a breakaway with 6:04 left in the second period, but crashed into Sedevie in the process. I think Sedevie hit the back of his head/neck on the goal post and after being attended to for about 30 minutes, was immobilized, strapped to a stretcher, and taken to Lincoln General Hospital. It was a an unnerving scene to watch. He was pretty much motionless, other than moving his legs a little bit, the entire time.

There hasn't been much word given about his status, but the announcers at the game said that they heard he just has a sprained neck. Hopefully he will recover quickly and be back in Topeka's lineup soon. I will update his status when I get more information.

This is pasted from the Topeka press release. Since it's a press release, I assume there's less of a problem with copyright issues. If I'm wrong there, I apologize. After an injury-filled season last year and a bit of a slow start this year, Layne had really come on for a good Topeka team. Hopefully, he can recover fully.

LINCOLN, Neb. -- Topeka ScareCrows netminder Layne Sedevie was lost for the season after suffering a rotary subluxation in the first two cervical vertebras during Tuesday night's 5-2 loss to the Lincoln Stars in the Ice Box in Lincoln, Neb.

The incident occurred in the second period, when Stars forward Ryan Potulny came in on the right side on a partial breakaway. Potulny collided with Sedevie, knocking the netminder into the goalpost. Sedevie remained face down on the ice for about 15 minutes, before being taken off the ice on a stretcher and transported to a local hospital.

According to ScareCrows trainer Michael Muir, "Layne complained of neck pain and anytime there is a possibility of a spinal injury, standard operating procedure is to put the individual on a spinal board and transport him to a nearby hospital.

"We were fortunate to have Dr. Robert Vande Guchte, who is with the Lincoln Orthopedic Center, on hand for the assessment and transport of Layne. Layne is currently under the direct supervision of Dr. Vande Guchte."

Muir continued, "That night Layne underwent a CAT scan and an X-ray, which confirmed the aforementioned diagnosis. Layne also underwent an MRI today, which was negative. Tests confirmed that the damage was done to the ligaments in the neck region and not to the spinal cord."

ScareCrows Executive Vice President Steve Pona, who was with Sedevie at the hospital, said, "Layne is a very brave young man. He will be severely missed, but I am confident the team and the fans will rally around him."

Pona was also very complimentary of the Lincoln Stars and the fans of Topeka. "I would also like to thank the Lincoln Stars organization for all their assistance in this serious matter and the fans of Topeka for their phone calls and genuine concern for our injured goaltender."

Sedevie remains in Lincoln and the decision will be made in the next 48 hours on his transport and treatment.

With the season ending injury to Sedevie the Crows are left with one netminder, rookie Michael Zacharias.

"Michael is a top end goaltender and our team will rally around him," Head Coach Tom Rudrud said.

"As far as a backup to Michael is concerned, we will add a goaltender to our roster by this weekend."

Cards and letters for Layne can be sent to the following address:

Topeka ScareCrows Attn: Layne Sedevie, 1800 Exoduster Blvd., Topeka, Kansas 66612

Crows will be back in action for a weekend series in Cedar Rapids on Saturday and Sunday.