SiouxSports.com Forum

Mankato scandal

melsiouxfan

O.K.--I know that I'm sometimes a little removed from the hockey world, but I didn't know anything about this. I would have thought since it happened right before we played them that there would have been some local media covering the story.

http://www.startribune.com/513/story/405530.html

What is this world coming too?

this is kinda like the Duke Lacrosse thing.

O.K.--I know that I'm sometimes a little removed from the hockey world, but I didn't know anything about this. I would have thought since it happened right before we played them that there would have been some local media covering the story.

http://www.startribune.com/513/story/405530.html

What is this world coming too?

If you had been following this fan forum back when the Sioux were getting ready to play Minnesota State in the first round, there was talk about rumors of something like this happened. I'd heard plenty of details about which players were involved when it happened back in February. Those players were dismissed from the team at that time or suspended for the playoff series against the Sioux. It's becoming a bit more highly publicized now that details are more available, but rumblings of this sexual allegation did come out right before the playoff series.

We knew players were suspended but no details. Reading the article is disturbing. I hope we don't start bashing either the accuser or the players. I personally don't know anymore details than those I read in this article. That's not enough information for me to believe one side over the other. I just hope justice prevails for whoever the victim(s) is/are in this situation.

What I do know is that lives are going to be ruined either way. :lol:

And I would imagine that the green leafy material and paraphanelia seized by the police was merely their spinach and Popeye collectible pipe. :lol:

If it's packaged like weed and near a pipe, still a counterfeit drug even if it's parsley. Same punishment.

I think that law is there to prevent people from selling parsley flakes to a moron and claiming it's weed......who in turn calls the cops and says someone ripped them off and sold them parsley instead of weed. :lol:

If it's packaged like weed and near a pipe, still a counterfeit drug even if it's parsley. Same punishment.

I think that law is there to prevent people from selling parsley flakes to a moron and claiming it's weed......who in turn calls the cops and says someone ripped them off and sold them parsley instead of weed. :lol:

Pretty stupid either way!

I wish there was some way that we could turn that 'stupid gene' (my scientific word for it) off, that is turned on when puberty hits. You know, the one that results in the same answer to any question about bad behaviour. Question: Why did you ..... (miss curfew, smoke cigarettes, lose your lunch money, get drunk, smoke pot, etc). Stock answer to whatever 'it' is>>"I don't know." <<Stupid gene.

Pretty stupid either way!

I wish there was some way that we could turn that 'stupid gene' (my scientific word for it) off, that is turned on when puberty hits. You know, the one that results in the same answer to any question about bad behaviour. Question: Why did you ..... (miss curfew, smoke cigarettes, lose your lunch money, get drunk, smoke pot, etc). Stock answer to whatever 'it' is>>"I don't know." <<Stupid gene.

Or better yet, I can't remember. Tends to keep people out of trouble, even in court.

Man... this is a lousy deal, on every level imaginable. If the allegations are true, well, it should go without saying. If the charges are eventually found untrue it indicates a similarly serious problem with the accuser. Either way, the fact that the authorities are saying they found what appears to be controlled substance(s) in the residence is a real lapse in judgment by these young men; even if it is not theirs they should've been smart enough to not be in the same place!

This is not good for Mankato's program; and probably not good for college hockey. Granted, there are far fewer student athletes involved in hockey than there are in big-time football and basketball, but we hockey fans have been confronted with relatively few reports of illegal misbehavior, pull-tabs and underage drinking notwithstanding.

• 1 month later...

Published June 07, 2006 02:41 pm - Investigators with the Mankato Police Department will not pursue charges against several Minnesota State University hockey players who were pulled from the team amid allegations of sexual assault.

Police drop investigation into MSU hockey players

By Dan Nienaber

The Free Press

Investigators with the Mankato Police Department will not pursue charges against several Minnesota State University hockey players who were pulled from the team amid allegations of sexual assault.

http://www.mankatofreepress.com/breakingne..._158144118.html

If these allegations were fabricated for whatever sick reason the accuser had, I hope she faces charges for what she put these young men and the young woman, their families and friends through; not forgetting the school itself!

No doubt about it. It looks like these Mankato boys aren't the only ones that are getting wrung through the wringer. There's a possibility that the Duke lacrosse "tragedy" was merely fabricated as well.

The "best" part: If it is fabricated (both Duke and Mankato's cases) the affect on those kids will be the same, just sans the criminal side of it. Their reputations are ruined. They will always be "those guys who allegedly ..." What a nightmare. I don't even know if they can be reinstated after being dismissed from the team under the circumstances they were dismissed.

This may sound like the old "womens' rights" routine...but

You can't really call the allegations a fabrication. The women involved in these cases made the decision to step forward and charge their attackers. From that point on it's up to the police and county/district attorney to make a case and proceed. Because they "found no leads" to pursue they dropped charges.

It takes a LOT of guts to go to authorities as an attack victim. This is especially the case if your attacker is an athlete or entertainer of some type. The story leaks out, and even if you are the victim you face just as much scrutiny from the public as your attacker; sometimes more. A huge percentage of this type of violence is not reported. The odds of these ladies making the attack up are pretty bad. And even after all of this, if they did make it up they would not have received monetary damages. There is almost no reason to make up this type of accusation. Getting even with someone you don't like by accusing them of assault is really not worth ruining your own life.

Yes, these mens lives and reputations are ruined. But don't assume the young ladies get off scott free. Their lives are ruined as well, especially if they really were attacked.

I totally agree with you SiouxTupa, that's why I bolded and said 'IF the allegations were fabricated'. I'm the first to admit I don't know the circumstances, only what I read in the paper.

I have been in the unfortunate situation where I was once physically abused but not raped, thank you God. It wasn't an 'obvious, witnessed' act so I didn't report it. I didn't think I would be taken seriously. I also thought I would be blamed for ... whatever. Different time, different place. I know that it takes a lot of courage to report sexual abuse. I will be the first to support any one who has been victimized.

I'm in a different place now. I used to be the first in line to defend the accuser and assume the accused was guilty until proven innocent. Now, I'm the mother of two young men and I know that all it would take is one immature, jealous, hurt, mentally ill, or just plain pissed off girl/woman to ruin their lives.

I don't have the answers. That's why I hope that our law enforcement folk have received the training necessary to do what's right.