SiouxSports.com Forum

Hobey Oshie?

PCM

How could someone who was a "lock" for the #1 overall pick just a few shorts months ago, fall to a top 3 or maybe even top 5 pick ? Maybe in both cases those in the know in the world of hockey have discovered the truth. :sad:

Huh...I didn't know that Toews' stock has fallen that much. Whooda thunk? ???

How could someone who was a "lock" for the #1 overall pick just a few shorts months ago, fall to a top 3 or maybe even top 5 pick ? Maybe in both cases those in the know in the world of hockey have discovered the truth. :sad:

always room for an under the radar bash at kessel ??? gotta love THETRIOUXER's commitment

To give you all an idea, Hockeys Future had Sidney Crosby's rating before the season at 10.0C. And most people were sure he would become a superstar. It isn't always the most accurate thing in the world.

Are you saying he isn't a Super Star? Only the second 18 year old ever to score 100 points! Not a bad first year, I'd say! This on a team with no one to take any pressure off of him, too.

Are you saying he isn't a Super Star? Only the second 18 year old ever to score 100 points! Not a bad first year, I'd say! This on a team with no one to take any pressure off of him, too.

No no not at all! You misunderstood. I'm saying that Hockey's future gave him a "C". And they gave Oshie a "D". So that isn't the most reliable rating to go by. Crosby is one of the top 5 players in the NHL of course he's a star. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I'm curious about something. I remember watching Oshie in the state tournament and thinking how great it would be to see him in a Gophers uniform, but then I kind of lost track of him until I had heard that he signed with UND. Not that it would have made any difference, but did Lucia and co. recruit him at all?

I'm curious about something. I remember watching Oshie in the state tournament and thinking how great it would be to see him in a Gophers uniform, but then I kind of lost track of him until I had heard that he signed with UND. Not that it would have made any difference, but did Lucia and co. recruit him at all?

Really nobody knows I don't think. He wasn't suppose to be one of the big time recruits we brought in. Sure he was good, but THIS GOOD? I'm sure Lucia had an eye on him, but Warroad is only 2 hours from Grand Forks so I'm sure that factored in. Probably just a personal preference is all.

Lucia did recruit Oshie, but only got the cursory greeting in. He was going to UND no matter who else came knocking.

Most hi end Division 1 teams were recruiting Oshie. The factor came down to UND and Grand Forks being a small town which is what Oshie liked. Also, playing in the Ralph Engelstad Arena along w/ world class facilities downstairs played a huge roll too. Plus all the Warroad greats seemed to make the trek through UND to Olympic and NHL fame.

Most hi end Division 1 teams were recruiting Oshie. The factor came down to UND and Grand Forks being a small town which is what Oshie liked. Also, playing in the Ralph Engelstad Arena along w/ world class facilities downstairs played a huge roll too. Plus all the Warroad greats seemed to make the trek through UND to Olympic and NHL fame.

how bout the coach that took him to state twice before he moved on to coaching at UND. I wonder if Eades had anything to do with it?:sad:

Years ago, I think UND profited from the persepective kids from small, northern Minnesota towns had. Not only were they used to the small town environment, they looked upon the large twin city teams like Edina as being the bad guys. There was a bit of a us-against-them mentality that recruiters from places like UND could capitalize on. I doubt whether that is very true anymore. It's a less provincial world in general, and so many of these players move away during high school to live in larger communities and play juniors. The historical connections continue to help, I'm sure, but I would think young players from Roseau or Warroad would consider UMTC or BC just as readily as UND or Duluth. (of course, you have to factor in the fact that UMTC and BC both suck and most talented high school recruits know it). It sure is satisfying to know that the blood of old northern Minnesota legends like Henry Boucha flows in players wearing the green and white.

Oshie is a super super kid. Comes from the solid stock. Apples do not fall far from their trees.

His achievements on the ice will have no bounds. If he stays healthy, his heart and skills will continue to speak for themselves, and the stats will follow.

If he is going to become a legitimate Hobey contender, he must also follow the other two prongs of the award. Academics and community. These are two areas that hurt Potulny in his final chase.

We have been to the last two Hobey ceremonies. They are really cool events. The Hockey Humanitarian as well.

North Dakota has a fine reputation for academics. There are any number of opportunities for community work, whether in Grand Forks, northwestern Minnesota, or Seattle. The way TJ deals with kids, something along that line will be a natural. Unless he wants to visit the nursing homes and just chew the fat with many of the likes of us on this board . . . .

Oshie is a super super kid... his heart and skills will continue to speak for themselves...

The way TJ deals with kids, something along that line will be a natural...

You're exactly right. Thanks TJ!