SiouxSports.com Forum

The Home Stretch

shootdogger

While I was enthralled by all the 'Anderson Sucks' chants as the Gophers gave away their win on Friday night, I perused the remaining WCHA schedule. I hadn't been paying too much attention to it lately, and saw some interesting things.

It looks to me like CC has the toughest row to hoe. Every team they have remaining, except for Denver, is presently in the top 5. They're going to slip.

St. Cloud seems to have the easiest schedule remaining--and they're starting to gel (although I missed their UMD series) and have Moreland's leadership back. I've seen them play a handful of games, and I'm starting to get nervous about them...they remind me of some recent slow starting Sioux teams that peaked at the right time. They have the bottom 3 teams remaining, plus CC and UM. But they need help to catch the Tigers.

After that, the Sioux look to be in good shape, playing only CC and Mankato as top 5 teams. Wisco and Tech had better get us 7 points, but Duluth and Denver are Wild Cards.

As for the Gophers, with Potulny healthy, they looked much more smooth. But as much as I like the guy, that team has some chemistry problems. Other than a few Juniors/Seniors, the players don't really seem to know their role--especially obvious during the pp this weekend. Unless Koalska's running the show, they seem lost.

As a result, barring a goalie meltdown, I see the top 5 shaking out as:

UND

SCSU

CC

Mankato

UM

As a Gopher fan I'm afraid I have to agree with your projections and analysis of the Gophs. I'm now looking behind us in the standings instead of in front of us and it would not surprise me if UMD sneaks into the top 5. They have four points with MN - which they will be hyped for, plus a virtual gimme 8 pts. with MTU to end the season. Splits at home against DU and same next weekend at MSU-M - who will have a hangover IMO - are likely. In fact, the only I see sweep is when they play (and get swept) at UND.

This upcoming weekend at Alaska for MN scares the bejesbus out of me. If ever there was one team heading for a possible upset it's MN - big time. While AA has to win at some point. Don't they?

Getting the two defensemen back has been a big boost for the dogs in St. Cloud - bigger than I anticipated. I saw a little of the UW-CC Saturday game and CC is hitting on all cylinders - but UW has that affect on teams.

Regardless of rooting iterest, it should be an A+ weekend of puck in the Springs.

I know I'm a newbie and everything, but I've been reading these discussion pages for a while now and would like to thank greyeagle for being a good poster, even though he is the enemy. :0

I know this isn't the right thread to post this in, but I just wanted to say that it's nice hearing the opinions of other fans (who aren't complete and total homers). It provides a good insight into their team, and can be an eye opener to us Sioux fans. Just wanted to say thanks to greyeagle for coming over here and posting, respectfully.

I too am looking forward to this weekends series. Just wondering if there are any Sioux fans in the Minneapolis area getting together for the games?

I too am looking forward to this weekends series.  Just wondering if there are any Sioux fans in the Minneapolis area getting together for the games?

Now that the games will officially be on satellite, I too am wondering the same thing. Joe Senser's in Bloomington is the "usual" place to watch Sioux hockey games in the Twin Cities. If anyone is going somewhere else, please post.

While I was enthralled by all the 'Anderson Sucks' chants as the Gophers gave away their win on Friday night, I perused the remaining WCHA schedule. I hadn't been paying too much attention to it lately, and saw some interesting things.

It looks to me like CC has the toughest row to hoe. Every team they have remaining, except for Denver, is presently in the top 5. They're going to slip.

St. Cloud seems to have the easiest schedule remaining--and they're starting to gel (although I missed their UMD series) and have Moreland's leadership back. I've seen them play a handful of games, and I'm starting to get nervous about them...they remind me of some recent slow starting Sioux teams that peaked at the right time. They have the bottom 3 teams remaining, plus CC and UM. But they need help to catch the Tigers.

After that, the Sioux look to be in good shape, playing only CC and Mankato as top 5 teams. Wisco and Tech had better get us 7 points, but Duluth and Denver are Wild Cards.

As for the Gophers, with Potulny healthy, they looked much more smooth. But as much as I like the guy, that team has some chemistry problems. Other than a few Juniors/Seniors, the players don't really seem to know their role--especially obvious during the pp this weekend. Unless Koalska's running the show, they seem lost.

As a result, barring a goalie meltdown, I see the top 5 shaking out as:

UND

SCSU

CC

Mankato

UM

Is that in order???if so i have to think you're smoking something :0 It would take a monumental collapse for SCSU to surpass CC in the standings. I wouldn't complain though, that means it would pretty much guarantee UND first in the league, I just don't see it happening.

Is that in order???if so i have to think you're smoking something :0 It would take a monumental collapse for SCSU to surpass CC in the standings. I wouldn't complain though, that means it would pretty much guarantee UND first in the league, I just don't see it happening.

Yeah...ummmmmmmmmm...no.

I didn't have the point standings in front of me at MaryHoochie, just the schedule...so I kinda forgot how far behind SCSU had fallen. I still think the Huskies will make serious strides and get to third--but I'll set my crack pipe aside next time.

Yeah...I'm trying to stay away from it, but probably would sound more insightful if I used it before posting s/t like this topic. Its just that the "What If" title gives me flashbacks to my old Army days when half the meetings would turn into "What if" festivals. It drove me effing bananas and does to this day!