SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach's Show

forecheck

I missed the first 10-15 minutes of the show, so hopefully someone else can fill in.

Coach's Show with Assistant Coach Brad Barry:

Schneider is playing like a senior. On his goal in Alaska, he made a nice play with forwards pressuring him to score his goal.

Caller: Not bringing in any new goalies next year. Talked about bringing in a volunteer goalie coach at sometime, but right now they're just trying to work with what they have.

Matt Greene is a top 4 defenseman on the team, but no one expected him to be this good at this time. He's big and strong, but has to learn how to play more disciplined, which he is starting to do. He's realizing he needs to play more carefully because the refs are always talking to him, and he's a marked man. Made some comparisons to Commodore. Some encouraging things they saw was in Alaska he stepped up on some 2-1's and broke up the play, and then made some nice transitions, so he's learning that part of the game.

Caller: Schneekloth and Brad Wilson were playing in the West Coast League, along with Hauser who must still think he's playing ND because right away in the 3rd period he got 5-holed. :0

With an off week, the coaches aren't allowed on the ice, but the players are still having captains' practices.

Notermann has more points this year already than he had in his best year (sophomore). He was snakebit last year, but he's playing so well right now. Talked about the nice play he made for Lundbohm's goal, when last year he would have dumped the puck in the corner and chased it. He's playing with more confidence, getting more ice time, was given an honorary "C", and had a good start, which all helps his game. Spiewak and Notermann both cut in toward the net, which is nice to see. "Joe Sakic eat your heart out."

Bochenski is such a great scorer, and for every mistake he makes, he'll go out and score 2 goals.

Lundbohm is having a great year, and filled a leadership role. Massen also is having a great year, finishing plays. Probably the most improved player from last year.

The defense is very tough, and hit hard. David Hale especially was making some hard hits in Alaska, which is good in the way that other teams start to hear about the hard hitting, big defense, and they start to dump the puck instead of rush the zone.

Against CC, UND was hit harder having 2 defensemen gone compared to CC with 1 gone. Lee Marvin came in and played an admirable game. Having the Olympic rink makes a big difference to be able to practice on before going to rinks with Olympic rinks. The differences with the Olympic rink are most noticeable on the powerplay and penalty kill, and going into the corners.

The best player on the penalty kill is the goaltender, and usually with a power play, if you look good you score. UND looked good last week but didn't score much on the PP.

Talked a bit about UAA's luck as of late, and that it's difficult to play up in Alaska. The traveling kills you, but leaving on Weds. and having a whole day off really helps.

Gopher Fan called in: He has a lot of respect for the Sioux and congratulated Berry for the season, but said he has a bone to pick with Tim. Saturday game against the Gophers, apparently Tim said it was cheesy to put Vanek out on the ice to score an empty net goal with a 2 goal lead. Caller, "Have you ever heard about killing a mosquito with an ax?" (Wasn't sure what that meant.) Berry and Tim basically talked about how it's cheesy because Vanek isn't known for his defensive abilities, and if it was a one goal game, he would not have been on the ice defending the score, so he was basically on the ice just to score an easy empty net goal. Tim said he would like to ask Lucia if he had a chance to ask if he was just on the ice to beef up his stats and help him contend for rookie of the year. Then they talked about how Parise took two shifts in the last half or so of the 3rd period against Alaska, he just happened to score both times. Caller disagrees that the reason Vanek was out was to beef up his stats, because the Gophers have a lot of respect for the Sioux and their ability to pull the goaltender and score goals and it doesn't sound like something Lucia would do, but Tim says he thinks it was more of a personal thing for Vanek.

Forecheck, lucky for you, I was listening and taking notes. Here's what you missed........

Edit: Brad Williamson (not Wilson) was the former Sioux defenseman they talked about playing in the eastern league all-star game.

Yes, lucky for me. I might have been fired. ;) But thanks for picking up the slack. It took me a while to realize I was listening to the wrong station. ;) Maybe you should just take over. :0

Yeah right PCM. :0

I read in the paper today, but couldn't find a link online, that Jason Notermann shares the WCHA offensive player of the week with a player from Mankato, and once again, Parise is the WCHA rookie of the week. Congrats to these two deserving players!

Edit: Here's the link. WCHA Players of the Week Note that Chad Roberg was a nominee for Offensive Player of the Week, for those Gopher fans still lurking.

Hey Pat two things. First maybe you should take over if you ask me you can handle the pressure far better than the majority of us. Second if you do take over the coach's show maybe you can work it out somehow to have it broadcast over the web that way I can listen to the show from down here. GO BUCS HEY HEY TAMPA BAY.