SiouxSports.com Forum

goodbye, Rob

UND92,96

Well, I certainly think a big part of both Blais and Roger being gone has a lot to do with the mess that has been the REA management....one or both might have left anyway with the opportunites presented them, but I feel the situation within made UND much easier to leave.

As much as I like Roger as a person and appreciate what he did as football coach, he was in over his head and needed to go. Per the minutes from the September IAC meeting, the 2005-06 budget was projected to result in a $680,000 deficit. That's absolutely inexcusible, and the buck had to stop with RT. I understand all the challenges the a.d. faces with REA management and having all revenue producing sports being played in non-UND-owned facilities, but the a.d. needs to have a much better handle on the budget than that. He also made some curious hires, and was evidently unwilling to ever make any tough decisions in terms of getting rid of coaches in under-performing sports.

As much as I like Roger as a person and appreciate what he did as football coach, he was in over his head and needed to go. Per the minutes from the September IAC meeting, the 2005-06 budget was projected to result in a $680,000 deficit. That's absolutely inexcusible, and the buck had to stop with RT. I understand all the challenges the a.d. faces with REA management and having all revenue producing sports being played in non-UND-owned facilities, but the a.d. needs to have a much better handle on the budget than that.

Would be a good idea to check what REA promised to contribute to UND Athletics and what Figure was actuatly transfered?:ohmy: Before we lay this all on Rogers lap. I do not believe REA has ever lived up to the numbers yet.

Would be a good idea to check what REA promised to contribute to UND Athletics and what Figure was actuatly transfered?:D Before we lay this all on Rogers lap. I do not believe REA has ever lived up to the numbers yet.

I have no doubts that REA management hasn't been very helpful, particularly under Berning's regime, but from the outside looking in, UND's athletic budget seems to be growing exponentially the past few years. I have to think RT had at least some responsibility there. I question how often he ever said "no" to a request for more money from the various programs? For example, I posted a few months ago a comparison of all the men's basketball budgets in the NCC and NSIC, and UND was by far the highest-spending. Assuming those numbers were even remotely accurate, perhaps we shouldn't be surprised by the deficit?

I don't mean to be too critical of RT because again, I have always liked him very much. The bottom line is that being a.d. is more akin to being the CEO of pretty big corporation than it is to being a coach, and being a coach doesn't necessarily qualify a person to be a good a.d. I believe as time goes on, you'll see it less and less often for somebody to go directly from being a coach to the a.d.

Would be a good idea to check what REA promised to contribute to UND Athletics and what Figure was actuatly transfered?:D Before we lay this all on Rogers lap. I do not believe REA has ever lived up to the numbers yet.

Where else would it lay?? Why would you let someone else solve all of your problems for you. That is his fault no one elses!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Former UND basketball great Steve Brekke has been named as Rob Bollinger's replacement. link.

A great choice - Steve is well-respected as a former Sioux player and very well-respected in his current position at the bank! Rob's shoes will be very diffcult to fill but Steve will do a fine job!

Brekke is an excellent choice for this position. It is just too bad he couldn't coach the Men's team as well!! Hell, with how good he still is, he could probably still play. The Brekke family has been great to UND athletics. Steve, Mike, and Chad all played on the men's team. I am not certain, but I think Kim played for SU. There is always one in every family. She does get an excemption since I believe her husband is Durene Heisler's brother.

Best of luck Steve!!!!!!!