SiouxSports.com Forum

Playoff Structure

Just Curious

Since we're talking rink dimensions, will the Final Five be played using the new NHL dimensions? I noticed the MN HS tourney was the same, but I was wondering if the Final Five would be too. If so, does anyone think teams would have problems adjusting? I would think the larger offensive zone would allow teams to move the puck more efficiently on the PP, and teams that spend a lot of time workign the puck behind the net may find room hard to come by.

Just a couple thoughts...

I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that the official sheet size of the NCAA is the Olympic sheet, and if there was a venue with an Olympic sheet large enough to host a FF you can bet it would be played there from time to time. However if me must go that far, then let's eliminate all regionals from being played at the home rink of any Div I school. It's a bit exclusionary to punish a university by not allowing it to host a regional because of their sheet of ice.

Here's exactly where the NCAA is being, well, the NCAA.

The rulebook does say, "As nearly as possible, the dimensions of the rink shall be 200 feet [61m] long and 100 feet [30.48m] wide."

However, they also say they'll only play Frozen Fours in arenas that hold 15000 or more.

But the 15000 or more seat hockey arenas in the US are, for the greatest part, NHL arenas, which are 85 feet wide.

Don't you love how consistent the NCAA is. :silly:

I'm pretty sure that this "rule" was changed for this year. In fact, if you go to the official rules, it states on page 10 (HR-9) it states that . . .

"As nearly as possible, the dimensions of the rink shall be 200 feet long and 85 feet wide."

Ice Hockey - 2006 Rules and Interpretations