SiouxSports.com Forum

What's GF like these days?

frnkdrcmn

Good Lord, Man, when I was in the area the only place to eat, at least for lunch, was the Golden Hour!! :blush:

I have lived in many states and several countries.... GF has, by far, the best freaking food ever. I'm not sure what it is, but it just has unique flavors. Nothing is considered gourmet food mind you, but its awesome none the less. When we go back home, the following are MUST stops when time permits:

Red Pepper - Food of the gods. I even order this stuff online and pay out of my arse to get it.

Shangrila - Combination "A" - Chicken - Spicy

Italian Moon - Taco Pizza

Mexican Village - Enchiladas...mmmmmmmmmm

Mikes Pizza - Best pizza in town, bar none.

WOW! Talk about the memories. While you were in college, I was just a young junior high punk growing up in the same neighborhood you talk about. I no longer live in Grand Forks, but visit there several times a year from Wisconsin to see family and friends.

The businesses you describe are litterally in the same area I grew up. Piggly Wiggly is Hugo's and the bar across the street is Judy's. Also in that same area was a music store called Mother's Records. I spent many, many hours there getting my Motley Crue on. HAHA.

I remember rink dances fondly at the roller skating rink on Gateway Drive. We used to drink in the cemetary near there and stumble to the rink dances. Afterwards, we usually stumbled back down Gateway to Hardees or if we were lucky and had a ride, we'd go to the Pepper for some real food.

I remember fights in University Park after school at Valley Junior High, great hockey at the old Ralph, rivalies between Central and Red River, finding somebody to buy me beer (Thanks Doug!) on the weekends, going road tripping, heading to Maple Lake in the summer, Friday night races, Shangrila, freezing my ever-loving butt off walking around town, playing video games at the UND student union and attending rock concerts at the Hyslop Sports Center.

Concerning the Tomahawk Cafe, I actually worked there as a dishwasher in high school. I think my boss' name was Shamus (spelling). Big burly SOB that ya just didn't want to piss off.

Great town... greater people.

Wow, did you know Seamus was the captain of the UND Rugby team for years? He was a legend, chain smoked, drank, kicked ass on the pitch and got straight A's all while throwing a non-stop 4 year party at his house and was the toughest SOB I ever knew. He fell out of a pickup truck at University and Washington after a game with a beer in his hand and landed on his head. He didn't bat an eyelash, just got up and chased after the truck and jumped back in. Yeah, you didn't want to piss him off. We played UM in Rugby in a game in Minny and that night while our team was at a kegger at a frat party a bunch of Minny frat guys decided to kick my butt because I was wearing my jersey and talking to one of their girls and Seamus walked into the fray and head butted the leader and knocked him out cold. Seamus looked around and asked "Who's next"...they said it was all cool, welcome to the party. Another time our team broke down in St Agath, Manitoba and Seamus opened everyones Labatts with his teeth and so impressed the locals that a bunch of Frenchy's drove us all the way to Winnepeg that night.

I heard he died unexpectedly in St Paul a few years ago and left a wife and 2 kids.

I was a Jr at Red River when RR and Central played in the state championship hockey game and it went into something like 7 OT's and set some kind of record as the longest game on record.

I remember walking in terrible storms over to the arena to watch the Sioux. It didn't matter how bad it was you still went. We all had those big white inflatible Air Force boots we'd buy off of dirt poor fly boys so we could handle the cold. The place was sold out in the worst of weather. It just felt right inside the place with that nasty weather outside. We'd eat up the eastern teams like Harvard, they were so outclassed they wouldn't know what hit them and they'd never seen fans like we had.

Thanks for the memories. I listening to the Denver game now on the net.

I have lived in many states and several countries.... GF has, by far, the best freaking food ever. I'm not sure what it is, but it just has unique flavors. Nothing is considered gourmet food mind you, but its awesome none the less. When we go back home, the following are MUST stops when time permits:

Red Pepper - Food of the gods. I even order this stuff online and pay out of my arse to get it.

Shangrila - Combination "A" - Chicken - Spicy

Italian Moon - Taco Pizza

Mexican Village - Enchiladas...mmmmmmmmmm

Mikes Pizza - Best pizza in town, bar none.

Red Pepper at 1:00 am: Grinder w extra meat sauce, good Lord. Do they still have those red naugahide booths?

Shangrila intruduced me to lemon chicken, they had an Asian guy working there then, he was a concert violinist and party animal.

Mexican Village: I discovered fried ice cream

Mikes Pizza: East Side right? Next to Whitey's? Great friggin' ribs and they delivered.

Red Pepper at 1:00 am: Grinder w extra meat sauce, good Lord. Do they still have those red naugahide booths?

Shangrila intruduced me to lemon chicken, they had an Asian guy working there then, he was a concert violinist and party animal.

Mexican Village: I discovered fried ice cream

Mikes Pizza: East Side right? Next to Whitey's? Great friggin' ribs and they delivered.

Mikes Pizza: East Side right? Next to Whitey's? Great friggin' ribs and they delivered

Yep. Used to be right on the other side of the bridge into EGF. They had pizza, chicken, ribs.... you name it. We used to order that up on Sundays to watch football.

The place hasn't changed a bit.... not one single bit. I think they even have that same crappy juke box setting next to the bathrooms too. Bruce Tillman owned it, but he passed away a few years back. His son Jeff runs the show now and has kept it exactly the same. If you ever want a quick taste of the grinder goods, check out www.redpepper.com. You can order grinder kits over the internet. They come next-day air and taste EXACTLY like you were sitting in one of those nappy booths.

Best grinder = Ham, taco meat and colby cheese.

You guys ever have the Schneider tacos with the white sauce? MMMMMMMMMMM

That place is owned and operated by John and Gam Wong. I love their food but heard that they are considering closing their doors. I hope not. That is the first place the wife and I stop when we get back to GF. Love it!!

Back in the day, I may or may not have placed a few sporting bets with the Wong brothers.... :D:D:lol:

what was Paradiso Lacampana like back then I just recently moved to Grand Forks. And was hoping for some history on it.

Back in the day, that was the fancy-shmancy Mexican joint in town. They had great Chile Con Queso. Here's a blast from the past for some of you old timers.... Anybody remember Farmers Inn Mexican restaurant near Columbia Mall? They had some great stuffed sopapillas (spelling). They weren't open very long but they had it going on.

And how can we we even begin to mention food without touting chippers?:D