SiouxSports.com Forum

Where do Sioux finish in WCHA?

cavedurtis

With the resurgence of Denver for the WCHA race, this complicates our situation dramatically.

I think Wisco and Minny go 1 - 2 in the standings.

I see CC as 3rd - no worse than 4th - no way 5th. They may have lost 4 in a row but against good teams. CC has an experienced club with a lot of talent. CC with a week off will be really motivated to get things back on track. I wouldn't want to be the team to play them next. OH WAIT - we are the next team to play CC - - IMHO - and I hate to say this - I believe we will get swept at CC.

That leaves us and Denver for 4th and 5th. While SCSU is playing well - not well enough to dent the top 5. Denver already has us by 5 points. They proved this past weekend that they are playing better hockey and will be tough to beat down the stretch. We play them twice AT DENVER. I don't like this series much either.

I say we finish 5th. We make the NCAA tournament as do 4 other WCHA teams. We win the first game at Ralph in the tournament. From that point on my crystal ball gets a little more fuzzy............

1. Wisconsin--44 points. They play UM at home (2-4 points), @UMD (4 points), @ MTU (4 points), @MSUM (2 points) and SCSU (2-4 points)

2. Denver--38 points. They play @ AAU (4 points), MSUM (4 points), @ UM (2 points), UND (2 points) and CC (2 points).

2. Minnesota---38 points. They play @ UW (0-2 points), @ MTU (4 points), DU (2 points), @ AAU (4 points) and UMD (2-4 points)

4. UND--34 points. They play St. Cloud (4 points), @ CC (2 points), UMD (4 points), @ DU (0-2 points), MTU (4 points).

5. CC--33 points. They play UND (2 points), @ SCSU (2 points), AAU (4 points), @ UMD (4 points), DU (2 points).

I don't think hoping for 3 points in Madison is any more unrealistic than predicting, "UND would only lose one game" the rest of the way and catch UM in the standings. ???

UND dropping only one or maybe two games in the home streach is not out of the question. They are playing well right now, but their dynasty is in the hands of the Gophs and the 'Ugly birds from CO', they need some devine intervention like the gophs getting swept to move up

UND dropping only one or maybe two games in the home streach is not out of the question. They are playing well right now, but their dynasty is in the hands of the Gophs and the 'Ugly birds from CO', they need some devine intervention like the gophs getting swept to move up

I think you mean their destiny is in the hands of the gophers... :sad::lol:

I'd hate to think of the dirty gophers and another golden dynasty...aaaahhhh :sad:???

UW 28 42

UMN 28 37

UND 28 36

Denver 28 36

CC 28 32

SCSU 28 28

Mankato 28 22

UMD 28 18

AA 28 15

MTech 28 14

I don't think this is out of the question. I haven't been real impressed with Denver lately, although last weekend saved their Pairwise tumble. Sioux sweep at home and split on the road. A 8-2 finish is very optimistic, but what the heck, I'll admit it I'm a Sioux fan :lol:

realistically, this is what i think it will end up being. :lol:

UND 28 40

UW 28 32

Denver 28 29

Mankato 28 27

MTech 28 27

AA 28 26

UMD 28 25

SCSU 28 25

CC 28 25

UMN 28 24

mind you, this means that the gophers get swept by wisconsin and then neither of those teams gets a point the rest of the season.

realistically, this is what i think it will end up being. :lol:

UND 28 40

UW 28 32

Denver 28 29

Mankato 28 27

MTech 28 27

AA 28 26

UMD 28 25

SCSU 28 25

CC 28 25

UMN 28 24

mind you, this means that the gophers get swept by wisconsin and then neither of those teams gets a point the rest of the season.

If Minny loses every game from now until the rest of the season they'll go from 2nd to last place? Wow. I gotta play with this "what if" thing. ???

1996 doesn't sound right to me, Doc. Colorado College played in the NCAA title game in 1996 against Michigan. I think it was 1994 or 1995 when they were upset in the first round of the WCHA tournament against Michigan Tech and then didn't get picked for the NCAA tournament two weeks later despite losing only 3 or 4 games all season. The "Colorado College Rule" came into effect shortly after that season, where a conference regular season champ got an auto-bid to the dance.

CC lost to Michigan in the NCAA title game, but they were upset by Michgan Tech in the semis of the Final Five. They were in the night cap at the Bradley Center, where Minnesota had defeated Wisconsin earlier on Nick Checco's OT winner in the other semi. Not great attendance for the early game, and even worse for the next semi prompted the WCHA to start the "Minnesota Rule," where either Minnesota or Wisconsin, depending on who was hosting, would play the night semi-final if they were among the final four in the tournament.

The "Colorado College Rule" came into affect after CC had won the regular season title in 1993-1994, but lost in the best of 3 (I believe to Tech, but I can't say for sure) and was snubbed by the NCAA's, prompting that the WCHA league champion was guaranteed a NCAA berth along with the WCHA Playoff champion. With the strength of the league now, pretty much no chance of the league champ being snubbed if they bow out in the 1st round.

Sorry to get off topic, though. Thread meant for points predictions.

CC lost to Michigan in the NCAA title game, but they were upset by Michgan Tech in the semis of the Final Five. They were in the night cap at the Bradley Center, where Minnesota had defeated Wisconsin earlier on Nick Checco's OT winner in the other semi. Not great attendance for the early game, and even worse for the next semi prompted the WCHA to start the "Minnesota Rule," where either Minnesota or Wisconsin, depending on who was hosting, would play the night semi-final if they were among the final four in the tournament.

The "Colorado College Rule" came into affect after CC had won the regular season title in 1993-1994, but lost in the best of 3 (I believe to Tech, but I can't say for sure) and was snubbed by the NCAA's, prompting that the WCHA league champion was guaranteed a NCAA berth along with the WCHA Playoff champion. With the strength of the league now, pretty much no chance of the league champ being snubbed if they bow out in the 1st round.

Sorry to get off topic, though. Thread meant for points predictions.

So why wasn't a North Dakota rule made after they were snubbed in 1983?

Although I guess PWR now takes care of that. There's no way they wouldn't have been part of the tourney on that basis.

Unfortunately the real Woog has the Gophers sweeping and that will no doubt counteract whatever Kharma PA and Dubay were trying to create. :bigsmile:

Wasn't it vice versa when the Gophers played the Sioux? Woog said UND sweeps and PA and Boobay said Gophers sweep?

:shrugs: