SiouxSports.com Forum

USA vs. CZECH

AZSIOUX

If I may play sudo-sociologist here, people really ought not get bent out of shape over people cheering against the U.S. You may not be aware of this, but the United States is viewed as the big, bad bully of the world. Therefore, everybody else is an underdog.

Why do non-Yankees fans hate the Yankees? They're the richest, most powerful franchise in baseball. It didn't matter that their most recent dynasty teams consisted of some of the most professional, classy players in MLB. They were still the big, bad Yankees and they were hated for it. Seriously, what has Derek Jeter ever done to be hated like he is by non-Yankee fans?

Duke University? The Dallas Cowboys in the 1990s? The Edmonton Oilers in the 1980s (I know, because I was the only person in my entire extended family that didn't hate the Oilers).

Even this year there are plenty of examples. I'm willing to be more people wanted to see the Indianapolis Colts LOSE and game than go undefeated. And I'm willing to bet more people want USC to lose the national championship than there are people who win.

Same goes with the U.S. Now, they aren't necessarily the biggest and baddest in hockey (yet), but from a "world" perspective, they are the big, bad Americans. Every other country is the underdog, no matter if its sports, business, politics, etc.

We now return to our regularly-scheduled jingoism...

he's right guys! Everyone go find a Canadian and hug him now :lol: Can't we ALL just get ALONG??

(PS - half of UND's team are Canadians so if you want to send them home??? ;) )

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I may play sudo-sociologist here, people really ought not get bent out of shape over people cheering against the U.S. You may not be aware of this, but the United States is viewed as the big, bad bully of the world. Therefore, everybody else is an underdog.

Why do non-Yankees fans hate the Yankees? They're the richest, most powerful franchise in baseball. It didn't matter that their most recent dynasty teams consisted of some of the most professional, classy players in MLB. They were still the big, bad Yankees and they were hated for it. Seriously, what has Derek Jeter ever done to be hated like he is by non-Yankee fans?

Duke University? The Dallas Cowboys in the 1990s? The Edmonton Oilers in the 1980s (I know, because I was the only person in my entire extended family that didn't hate the Oilers).

Even this year there are plenty of examples. I'm willing to be more people wanted to see the Indianapolis Colts LOSE and game than go undefeated. And I'm willing to bet more people want USC to lose the national championship than there are people who win.

Same goes with the U.S. Now, they aren't necessarily the biggest and baddest in hockey (yet), but from a "world" perspective, they are the big, bad Americans. Every other country is the underdog, no matter if its sports, business, politics, etc.

We now return to our regularly-scheduled jingoism...

Sounds like a textbook inferiority complex?!

Score update?

Sounds like a textbook inferiority complex?!

Oh, there's no doubt that Canadians are world-wide leaders in inferiority complex. Which I think explains why we come off as a touch arrogant when it comes to the one thing we're good at!

Believe me, there were plenty of people wearing red and white at the Ralph last year that aggravated me too, but I don't see Canadian idiots or American idiots. I just see idiots. Everyone's got 'em.

Much like the yahoos in Quebec that booed the Star Spangled Banner...those are the types I cannot defend, because it has moved past good-natured, our team vs. your team booing.

And I'll pass on the hug, but thanks.

Edited by Canuck

Oh, there's no doubt that Canadians are world-wide leaders in inferiority complex. Which I think explains why we come off as a touch arrogant when it comes to the one thing we're good at!

Believe me, there were plenty of people wearing red and white at the Ralph last year that aggravated me too, but I don't see Canadian idiots or American idiots. I just see idiots. Everyone's got 'em.

Much like the yahoos in Quebec that booed the Star Spangled Banner...those are the types I cannot defend, because it has moved past good-natured, our team vs. your team booing.

And I'll pass on the hug, but thanks.

...bottom line is FANS are FANS - and Canada kicks *ss as far as supporting their National Sport! Everyone has their jerks (YES - even UND! "YOU SUCK s&!t" is really original :lol: ) but even if you disagree with the message - you should support the ENTHUSIASM!! It's whats being a sports fan is all about....