SiouxSports.com Forum

Welch done at Minnie

sprig

It's too bad for Welch. The kid has a lot of hockey talent and potential. However, Lucia gave him some good chances to get his grades up to par and he didn't hit the mark. I have to applaud Lucia for standing by his own rules, regardless of the possible negative effects it may have on his team's performance.

As Sioux fans we can relate. Chris I hope you are having fun at UAA. :(

I am sure a few Sioux players will greet him next season.

As for Welch, I was kind of pulling for that kid. I guess Dan can go to the WHL and play Junior hockey or sign a free agent contract. I wish him well. I think UofM will be able to fill his roster spot with a young freshman.

I hate to see any player from any team be dismissed . . . like it has been mentioned it will open up an opportunity for an underclassmen. I thought Welch, coming in at the mid point last season, really added a lot to the Gophers and their title run last year, he'll definitely be missed this year - kudos to Lucia for drawing a line in the sand.

Since I complain about how much time is spent on the Sioux on the Gopher web site, I didn't want to start another thread on the Demarchi incident during Saturday's game. I was at the Sioux game and did not see the incident, however, based on uscho accounts I want to ask:

Is there a place for this behavior?

Truthfully, to me, incidents like this, particularly when there is no possibility for harm, just add flavor to the rivalries. (think of "our" own waterbottle incident from the early 80's). My main complaint/beef with this particular incident is that Demarchi did it while sitting on the bench with little time left ...... sort of a H2O sucker punch..... the SCSU player(s) didn't have a chance to return the favor. As a senior I'd expect better of him --- if you're going to pull crap like that, at least be willing to back it up. However, this is Demarchi I'm talking about, why should I expect him to act any different.

Why bother talking about this? Well, obviously this was a dissappointing weekend for the Gophers - only 1 out of 4 points against a cupcake (copyright - happy) -- and they'll probably be pretty chippy next weekend. Is this the behavior he'll be looking to give the Sioux? He hasn't met Matt Greene yet, has he? :p:(

DeMarchi has always done all his cheap stuff from a safe place, from behind, etc, etc. He never goes face to face with anyone. Green or Hale would destroy him, but we need both, as well as Jones and Schneider, playing D and not worrried about that hack.